Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai

Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai (http://www.ahsforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ayu Chat-Room (http://www.ahsforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Guys: do you feel effeminate for liking Ayu? (http://www.ahsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92720)

ストロボ・EdGE 29th July 2009 04:53 AM

Guys: do you feel effeminate for liking Ayu?

I really do!! The other day I realized as I was watching the JEWEL PV and I thought: wow, mostly girls would listen to this, not really guys.... I mean like really, I'm not like ashamed of it or anything but I would never show Ayu to some of my friends. They'd be like WTF? It doesn't help out the fact that the great majority of my friends are Indie rockers and don't really like mainstream music, lol.

Maybe I'm being sexist or close minded though, cause really what is feminine or masculine? What society dictates right? But I still can't help feeling sometimes that bubble gum pop and soft sweet ballads are for girls. But of course there is also the complete opposite opinion. I mean, the main audience of singers like Ayu are women but...

So dudes, do you ever feel girly for liking Ayu or any other 'aimed at females' type of singer? I'd like to feel more at ease. I'm retarded.

waterballoon 29th July 2009 05:20 AM

Ayu is everywhere... she's my phone's wallpaper and screensaver... she's on my Mac wallpaper... and if you know me, you know Ayu.

But it's not really a girly thing. Most people think I love her in the sexual way, so they don't think or know I'm gay. ;)

No really, I don't feel effeminate for liking Ayu... it's just another singer imo... so it wouldn't hold too much of a difference.

rikku411 29th July 2009 05:21 AM

I don't, haha. As far as I see it, liking Ayu simply means I like Ayu. Her songs, for the most part, have a universal theme and I've never felt that something she sung would fit women alone.

Females are probably her demographic as far as fashion is concerned, but I don't think her music is so limited. Sure, women eat it up, but I think everyone, for example, feels heartache, so I don't feel like a woman for listening to that.

But you raise a good point. Society wants people to believe that only women should be "lovey-dovey" or emotional or like "cute" things, but I don't buy that. I don't think people should be told how to act or feel based on their gender or made to feel bad because they act a certain way.

ストロボ・EdGE 29th July 2009 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rikku411 (Post 2040892)
But you raise a good point. Society wants people to believe that only women should be "lovey-dovey" or emotional or like "cute" things, but I don't buy that. I don't think people should be told how to act or feel based on their gender or made to feel bad because they act a certain way.

That's very true! Why can't guys like lovey-dovey or cute things? I like that stuff! Of course, it is a guilty pleasure. I'M A CLOSET LIKER OF CUTE/SWEET THINGS.

truehappiness 29th July 2009 05:36 AM

Hell no. It's like girls feeling manly for listening to rap music or something.

Doesn't make sense imo.

ストロボ・EdGE 29th July 2009 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truehappiness (Post 2040920)
Hell no. It's like girls feeling manly for listening to rap music or something.

Doesn't make sense imo.

If you went up to a group of men and women randomly and showed them BLUE BIRD what do you think they would think of you? That you were girlyyyyy. I'm not saying its right, but its true.

Polyrhythm 29th July 2009 05:52 AM

A little...I mean I'm split...I like songs like Real Me and my name's WOMEN....theyre just so musically powerful...an yeah...I know they are songs directed at the female...population...but I just listen for the performance I mean...hey. I don't speak Japanese so I dont have a clue what her song's are about most of the time. Yeah I know Ayu is known for her great lyrics and all but I'm not the kind of person who looks them up for every song. I like Ayu for her artistic appeal to be honest. Its like really really fine art. You don't go to the Louvre and suddenly find yourself turning gay when you see a statue of a "beautiful" naked man do you? You admire it, knowing that women usually fawn over such things as naked men. I guess its the same for me with Ayu. She has the artistic...thing going for her. I can't really explain clearly

octolina 29th July 2009 05:56 AM

I agree with the OP. She attracts the same gender fans as, say, Madonna, Beyonce... A woman that people look up to. Kudos to her guy fans though! Most guys don't/can't appreciate Ayu's type of beauty... like to me, she's very different from Leah Dizon, who has mostly (perverted) male fans.

zellyx 29th July 2009 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ストロボ・EdGE (Post 2040935)
If you went up to a group of men and women randomly and showed them BLUE BIRD what do you think they would think of you? That you were girlyyyyy. I'm not saying its right, but its true.

Unfortunately so. D:
I'm a girl, so I can't really answer that question...

Evolution7/4 29th July 2009 05:57 AM

Well I'm gay so.....:laugh

But seriously, gay or staright, who cares if its feminine. Its fine for girls to be masculine so it can be fine for guys to be feminine. Like first it shouldn't matter what is "feminine" or "masculine", thats just what society tells you. and like i said, even if it is feminine, theres no problem with liking it whether your straight gay or whatever.
Quote:

Originally Posted by waterballoon (Post 2040891)
Ayu is everywhere... she's my phone's wallpaper and screensaver... she's on my Mac wallpaper... and if you know me, you know Ayu.

Please stop stealing my life. hahahaha This is exactly me!

Andrenekoi 29th July 2009 06:14 AM

As soon as you don't start using her outfits and asking people to call you "uta no hime" u r fine :P

But usually:
female solo singers, male solo singers, boybands, girlbands, pop music = girl stuff
bands, rock and hip hop = boy stuff

But limiting urself this way is the same that thinking u may be gay if u wear pink

Dokiyo 29th July 2009 06:17 AM

I have a wierder outlook on life compared to other guys i guess?~ Im always the one who wants to help people and stay out of trouble~ Or either, im the guy who always wants to be friendly to the "mean" teachers when all the other guys purposely make them mad. I kind of believe that the word "love" and "compassion" arent seen so clearly by most guys/men because most guys think that they are the "Superior" ones....(with women/girls being the "lower" people of the population) ~ for me, its like the opposite, im not saying i understand those two words completely, but i do have a feeling of what those two words mean. Most guys would say that being sensitive or compassionate towards something is "gay", but really, without those traits, how can you truly be sucessful in life? i think its just natural for any guy to like things that girls like~ To me, i've always seen girls (most, but not all) as the ones who are more sincere about things, showing that they know life's true meaning to a higher extent than most of the guys ive met and seen. So, this brings up the question, do i feel effeminate for liking Ayu? My answer is no. I think it takes a more mature and understanding type of guy to understand and really feel lyrics that Ayu puts out into the world.

(wow, i...havent wrote that much in a while, but ive been waiting for someone to post something like this......):thud

Kingdom 29th July 2009 06:18 AM

well, i am gay, so it doesn't matter to me. i am not really effeminate outside of the internet, but if i were to see a guy obsessed with a female singer (wallpapers, cellphone pics, etc) i would peg him as gay. LOL just the way i feel though.

same as if i saw a guy with a madonna shirt on.

GRACE 29th July 2009 06:25 AM

I'm really effeminate anyway, so I don't really notice any difference =/...

zyoeru 29th July 2009 06:46 AM

Nah.

murasakinohana 29th July 2009 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evolution7/4 (Post 2040944)
Well I'm gay so.....:laugh

But seriously, gay or staright, who cares if its feminine. Its fine for girls to be masculine so it can be fine for guys to be feminine. Like first it shouldn't matter what is "feminine" or "masculine", thats just what society tells you. and like i said, even if it is feminine, theres no problem with liking it whether your straight gay or whatever.

Please stop stealing my life. hahahaha This is exactly me!

Yah that's so true. :yes although i sometimes find myself wishing i have nails like her.. :innocent

Evolution7/4 29th July 2009 07:07 AM

^Yeah I mean I'm not into drag, but man i'd kill to just try and see what those nails are like hahahha

Tony G 29th July 2009 07:21 AM

Doesn't make me feel effeminate at all. Ayu's music has never been girly to me and I don't feel embarrased listening to her. The only "girly" thing about Ayu's music is that it's pop and (western) pop is associated with teeny boppers and gay guys. I feel sorry for people who don't listen to certain kinds of music because they think it's for girls only. Music speaks to everyone. I believe that, so I listen to what I like. I only listen to some pop, the majority of my music taste is rock/electro/alternative. But half the time Ayu does these genres, so what's the difference?

In saying that, it's true some of her songs are like, woman power, but as I don't know any Japanese I don't really listen to Japanese songs because of the lyrics. It's always a plus when ayu songs have good lyrics and meaning, but that's not the first thing I look to.

Ayu's image on the other hand, well, would interest girls because of her $$$$ fashion. That's never really interested me. I like certain kinds of looks she does more than others, but that's about as far as it goes with me. She's a good looking girl though, there's no denying that. So most of what she wears is going to look good.

Namie♡TOP SECRET 29th July 2009 08:46 AM

This is a tricky topic. I'm straight, I like tits and I, well...Haha, work out how I feel for Ayu yourselves :lech

Like, in our country, where I live, it is verrrry segeragated. If you're a guy, you have to listen to hip-hop, if you're a girl, you listen to pop. But I listen to pop music and my friend listens to hip-hop and they think we're a bit :tipsy, but we don't really vcare. I have been asked wether I'm gay because of my music taste and I reply with a stern "no". I have some feeling for Ayu that makes me feel, if I was a girl in Japan...but then I shake it off saying "for heaven's sake .... (That's my name! LOL) you're a straight guy in the UK who likes a bit of naked woman. So there. No.

zyoeru 29th July 2009 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayu's Rainbow (Post 2041127)
This is a tricky topic. I'm straight, I like tits and I, well...Haha, work out how I feel for Ayu yourselves :lech

Like, in our country, where I live, it is verrrry segeragated. If you're a guy, you have to listen to hip-hop, if you're a girl, you listen to pop. But I listen to pop music and my friend listens to hip-hop and they think we're a bit :tipsy, but we don't really vcare. I have been asked wether I'm gay because of my music taste and I reply with a stern "no". I have some feeling for Ayu that makes me feel, if I was a girl in Japan...but then I shake it off saying "for heaven's sake .... (That's my name! LOL) you're a straight guy in the UK who likes a bit of naked woman. So there. No.

Haha. I see where you're coming from. I live in the UK too, but actually most of my male friends listen to metal, even my gay friends. But my friends listen to a bit of everything. So all is good.
But yeah, a lot of people here think like that so I know what ya mean. :)