Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai

Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai (http://www.ahsforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Enquiries (http://www.ahsforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Ayu popularity (http://www.ahsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124660)

chu-lips 1st October 2019 06:03 PM

Ayu popularity
 
Hi..

How is ayu popularity in the eyes of Japanese today
Is she still relevant or else?

How to describe her fame in current years..

visionfactory 2nd October 2019 01:30 AM

Was it 3 or 4 years ago when someone leaked Ayu's address on Twitter and she had to move?

I'd say she is no longer famous for her CURRENT music but for example in TV music shows they often have this segment when they talk about past times and ayu is always featured on it singing SEASONS or M.

She has this celebrity and luxury aura around her that makes everyone so interesed in her private life rather than her recent concerts.

But it seems that the scenery is changing with the new drama thing going on

chu-lips 2nd October 2019 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by visionfactory (Post 3307627)
But it seems that the scenery is changing with the new drama thing going on

What drama thing which is goin on?

And in younger generation is she still recognizeable?

KarenPang 2nd October 2019 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chu-lips (Post 3307657)
What drama thing which is goin on?

https://aramajapan.com/news/erika-sa...series/101613/

kendelle 2nd October 2019 05:53 PM

Ayu still has a lot of fans from all walks of life. She's decently popular for a country with such a dense population. I'd say that 70% of the time people would know of her, even if they're not actively aware she's still a performer. Most seem to assume she stopped releasing music around the early 2010s. You might be lucky finding 1/20 people who know any songs she released after

My completely unscientific straw poll of random Japanese people I've spoken to at random times about Ayu:

Males mid 20s: "Oh, I knew about her. She was famous a long time ago"
Females mid 20s: "I remember her from when I was young.", "She's very cute.", "Japanese think she is a strange person."
Males early-mid 30s: "Oh, she's old now. Didn't she get fat?"
Females early-mid 30s: "I used to like her songs. Wow, she's still active?"
Females late 60s+: "She's that pretty person.", "I remember her eyes are very pretty."

pedronekoi 2nd October 2019 07:25 PM

I've met a 20yo guy once and he said: "Hamasaki Ayumi? I don't think I remember my mom used to listen to her when she was younger". That shocked me lol

visionfactory 3rd October 2019 12:32 AM

I don't think she is a known name within younger generations, but I have no basis to say so
Quote:

Originally Posted by kendelle (Post 3307666)
Ayu still has a lot of fans from all walks of life. She's decently popular for a country with such a dense population. I'd say that 70% of the time people would know of her, even if they're not actively aware she's still a performer. Most seem to assume she stopped releasing music around the early 2010s. You might be lucky finding 1/20 people who know any songs she released after

My completely unscientific straw poll of random Japanese people I've spoken to at random times about Ayu:

Males mid 20s: "Oh, I knew about her. She was famous a long time ago"
Females mid 20s: "I remember her from when I was young.", "She's very cute.", "Japanese think she is a strange person."
Males early-mid 30s: "Oh, she's old now. Didn't she get fat?"
Females early-mid 30s: "I used to like her songs. Wow, she's still active?"
Females late 60s+: "She's that pretty person.", "I remember her eyes are very pretty."

She is a strange person lol

Loved your poll

ストロボ・EdGE 3rd October 2019 09:14 AM

Mariah Carey in the USA status.

Hear me out:
-Known primarily now for both real and perceived antics
-Can still release an album that will chart relatively 'high,' but definitively hit-less
-Can still tour
-Air of former icon

Mariah Carey is sometimes definitely, objectively outrageous, but unfortunately, Ayu's behavior is seen as egregious in Japan as Mariah's in America.

primavera♥ 3rd October 2019 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ストロボ・EdGE (Post 3307749)
Mariah Carey in the USA status.

Hear me out:
-Known primarily now for both real and perceived antics
-Can still release an album that will chart relatively 'high,' but definitively hit-less
-Can still tour
-Air of former icon

Mariah Carey is sometimes definitely, objectively outrageous, but unfortunately, Ayu's behavior is seen as egregious in Japan as Mariah's in America.

I agree with this one. People still respect Mariah's legacy here for the most part, but this matches the general public view.

A lot of old legends here in the US seem far more wild than ayu, but that's where your last sentence comes in.

ストロボ・EdGE 5th October 2019 09:47 AM

^ Oh, too, there’s the general consensus of both singers’ vocal abilities having seen much better days as a big topic, and the series of live performance faux pas.

Both are also seen as negatively over-materialistic, even compared to whatever ‘standard’ wealthy lifestyle of celebrities.

adantatu2 7th October 2019 09:37 AM

I think she is very popular for what she did in the past.

mizuki-7 7th October 2019 11:33 PM

The parallel with Mariah Carrey is pretty big even more since Ayu was involved romantically with her producer just like Mariah lol
Both have known an entire decade of big success with a string of big 1 hit, plethoras of record and accolades...
Both have been overexposed in the media and were literally everywhere.
Both are sufferering from vocal degradation.
Both have this diva aura sticked to them and have been victim of their image.
Both are songwriters since the beginning.
Both lost popularity in the turning point of the their respective decade.
And so on ....
they will never really desapear the legacy is too big.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.