Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai

Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai (http://www.ahsforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ayu Music News (http://www.ahsforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Review Of A COMPLETE ~ALL SINGLES~ In Singapore's The Strait Times's Life ! papers (http://www.ahsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80670)

KarenPang 3rd October 2008 02:36 AM

Review Of A COMPLETE ~ALL SINGLES~ In Singapore's The Strait Times's Life ! papers

this's in today's papers & it's on page 5 for S'poreans who're interested .

It's only a few paragraphs or so & the reviewer Samuel Lee reviewed A COMPLETE alongside with S.H.E's FM & Seiko Matsuda's MY PURE MELODY albums .

As such I will just type the parts with regards to what he said about A COMPLETE .

"More pleasing to the eye (especially if you're a sucker for design & packaging) than to the ear is the box set of Jpop diva Ayumi Hamasaki's singles , which comes in a collectible triple CD & one DVD package .

Charting through her early singles (For My Dear ... , Boys & Girls and monochrome) on Disc 1 , you'd wince from time to time from her unsteady , whiny singing . If you survive it and progress to Discs 2 & 3 which gets better and bolder , you realise that her repertoire was skilfully shaped along the way to suit her pipes .

Her musical metamorphosis is accompanied by a gazillion visually arresting image changes which rival Madonna's (all of which are artfully captured in the box itself and the companion booklets) .

Rating - 3/5 "

email comments & what not's to stlife@sph.com.sg

Jwiz 3rd October 2008 02:46 AM

Hmm just curious, how did FM fared? =p

Generally nice review, the author even compared her with Madonna X) and AC should've gotten like 4/5 D:

KarenPang 3rd October 2008 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jwiz (Post 1651945)
Hmm just curious, how did FM fared? =p

Generally nice review, the author even compared her with Madonna X) and AC should've gotten like 4/5 D:

FM's rating's 3.5/5 & yeah I think 3/5 is too low , at most it should have gotten 3.5

panda♥ 3rd October 2008 03:18 AM

i really liked Ayu's high pitched voice. i don't think it sounded whiny at all. D:

i think the rating is too low as well. XD

pommy48 3rd October 2008 03:21 AM

3/5..tsk tsk...that person is just...tsk tsk
well it's just that person's opinion about ayu's earlier songs~ i like them :D

Mitkki 3rd October 2008 03:23 AM

How exactly does one review a single collection? The review sounds more like something you'd find on an online blog than anything professional.

KarenPang 3rd October 2008 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitkki (Post 1651993)
How exactly does one review a single collection? The review sounds more like something you'd find on an online blog than anything professional.

*nods* & besides it was only a few paragraphs to begin with which frankly it's lame

+ Samuel Lee lumped that together with 2 albums so in a way it's not fair & not justified

ArchangelLegend 3rd October 2008 03:52 AM

I'm not sure why the reviewer focuses on the voice and made that the basis of what makes a disc good or not. Although I do agree that I like the lower-pitch voice much better, I would not base my judgements on that at all.

Ayumiko 3rd October 2008 04:13 AM

I doubt he listened to all the songs from the collection.

darc_aqua 3rd October 2008 04:43 AM

I dont think you can even give a rating to this album. its a compilation and whats the point of criticizing her old voice :\
I guess whoever rated this didnt know her till' these recent years.
I wouldve rated it 4.5/5

Meat Pao 3rd October 2008 04:45 AM

That's the worst review ever, PERIOD. What's his problem!? 3/5 >_> That's dumb. He didn't even mention about Who... (Chinese Version).

jiarongisme 3rd October 2008 04:53 AM

What. The. Fish? WHAT IS HIS PROBLEM!? Whiny!? To hell with him man.

KuroixShiroi_Namida 3rd October 2008 05:07 AM

If you survive it and progress to Discs 2 & 3

:mini

hiroshi_ben 3rd October 2008 05:10 AM

3/5 is too little!!!should be 5/5!!

AyUta 3rd October 2008 05:52 AM

Ayu's high pitched voice is cute :irked I didn't like the review much. Although I think the 3/5 is perfect.

KarenPang 3rd October 2008 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KuroixShiroi_Namida (Post 1652108)
If you survive it and progress to Discs 2 & 3

:mini

that's the part which I find it really mean on Samuel's part :eviltongu

fanayutic 3rd October 2008 07:43 AM

he didnt mention the contents of the dvd wor ._." not 'a complete' review.. and did he mention its ayu celebrating her 10th anni? nahhh . nvr research.. bad review! lets rate the content of the review 1/5 =DD

KarenPang 3rd October 2008 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fanayutic (Post 1652236)
he didnt mention the contents of the dvd wor ._." not 'a complete' review.. and did he mention its ayu celebrating her 10th anni? nahhh . nvr research.. bad review! lets rate the content of the review 1/5 =DD

no to everything that you mentioned on here :laugh

I seen Samuel Lee's past reviews on jpop stuff & this's 1 of the worst I have seen coming from him so far

bondingo 3rd October 2008 07:50 AM

I agree with the 3/5 because it's a lazy release, but that person has horrible writing ability for a journalist.

freedreamer 3rd October 2008 08:06 AM

its definitely at least 3.5/5 plz..its a freakin COMPILATION...wad on erth