Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai

Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai (http://www.ahsforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Enquiries (http://www.ahsforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   what's the difference between Overseas version and the Japan version (http://www.ahsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3009)

eVe 13th December 2002 01:34 PM

what's the difference between Overseas version and the Japan version

...."I am..." Overseas version and the japan version?
can sombody tell me please. cuz I'm buying this one too and I wanna know which one to order :)
so pleas help me ^.^

Grantith 13th December 2002 09:38 PM

Now that I Am has been out for a while and there isn't a first pressing edition, the Japan and Overseas version should be pretty much identical. The sound quality should be the same. Some people say that the booklet color or quality might be a little different, but I own the Overseas I Am and it looks perfectly fine to me. It's just as nice as my Japan version CDs. So if you want to save money then definitely go with the Overseas, but if you're one of those people that want to have Japan version of everything, then obviously go with Japan.

By the way, if I'm incorrect about any of these, please feel free to correct me.

fantaisie.sign 14th December 2002 03:49 AM

I posted this before in another thread so I guess I'll post it again. The overseas versions are normally identical to the Japan versions except they contain an extra pamphlet with the Chinese translation (or transliterations -- not sure exactly) of all the songs. If it's an overseas VCD, it will have Chinese subtitles at the bottom with an extra pamphlet again with the Chinese translations (or transliterations) of songs. The packaging is also a little different. For example, the spines of overseas Ayu CDs will have the Chinese spelling of her name and the romanized version of her name while the Japan version only has the Japanese spelling (with the kanji and hiragana). The only major differences I've seen in overseas and Japan package designs are for other artists, but for the most part the overseas and Japan versions are identical. The music is the same, the booklets are usually the same, but there might be very minute packaging differences. Here's how YesAsia describes the differences:

"An original (in this case, Japan) version refers to a product that is imported from the country it was produced and released. Therefore the price is slightly higher than the overseas version.

An overseas version refers to a product that is released by a licensed local record label and therefore the price is more competitive to the local market. Other than the price difference, the overseas version may also include some slight changes, such as, the translation of the booklet into local language, different packaging and printing, or the inclusion of additional bonus tracks."

Jasmine 15th December 2002 04:56 PM

Well, don't give up on the first pressing of 'I am...' I ordered in
September and still got the big Obi and pin ^_^ Yay-woooo CD Japan.

Have a Happy Day!
~Jasmine

Grantith 15th December 2002 06:37 PM

Same here. I ordered in the summer and I still got the large obi too. The CD websites probably have a large stock of the CDs when they first come out, and they just keep selling from that section they have, so I'm sure they have first pressings for a long time.

EdenZone 15th December 2002 08:07 PM

yup.. keep looking !

AyuPan 15th December 2002 11:56 PM

One thing to mention which I didn't read scanning the posts, if you buy the Jpn Version, the artist will get most of the proceeds from that item. However, with the OS Version, the company in HK or Taiwan gets most of the proceeds. So if you want to support the artist more than usual, buy the Jpn Version. I prefer the OS Version coz its $10 cheaper and your getting the same thing. However, there are times when I have to buy the Jpn Version... for example Rina Aiuchi's CDs.

Grantith 16th December 2002 01:34 AM

Are you sure that buying the Jpn version will give the artist more money? I've never heard that before.

AyuPan 16th December 2002 01:46 AM

I've heard it at other forums and it does make a lot of sense. However, I haven't read anything about this from music companies or retailers from the asian countries.

Piccolo 19th December 2002 12:07 AM

Obi? Whats that?

nmskalmn 19th December 2002 03:01 AM

obi = spine card

trainspotter01 16th April 2003 12:45 AM

they are almost the same, of course there r slight differences of the obi, copyright info and stuff
but if u have a better set of sound system, the japanese version does sound better than the oversea version

uindoshin 26th April 2003 07:52 AM

The Japan Version may be more expensive, but its better..^^; The sound quality is better on my sound system than my friends OS Ver. of I am...

Grantith 26th April 2003 03:32 PM

I don't have a Japan and Overseas version of the same CD so I can't say for sure about the sound quality. All I know is that I've been very happy with my overseas versions (and I can't tell a noticable different with my }{ Japan version when I listen to those same songs on my Overseas RAINBOW. Sounds the same to me).

mimika 8th May 2003 08:05 PM

all ayu cd's i have are overseas versions, mainly 'cus i want the chinese lyrics so that i understand wat she's trying to sing, besides, cd's are generally sold at a higher price in japan locally then say compared to north america, therefore making the japnese version we get also more expensive

i'm not a big fan of stero system so i can't notice any difference btw the japanese and overseas version, but i've a friend that works at hmv hongkong where they sell both japanese and overseas version of ayu cd's and he told me that japnese versions does have better sound quality

sxesven 15th June 2003 09:54 PM

The story about Overseas versions being of a lesser quality sounds a bit strange to me... I mean, a CD is a CD. I have never ever noticed differences between pressings of CD's, IF they are originals. I mean, MP3 CD's, bootlegs and that kind of stuff might be of a lesser quality but seriously, I think this is strange. If you'd give people both a Japanese and an Overseas version of a particular album without telling which is which, they probably wouldn't even notice the difference. So I'm sticking to the Overseas versions, unless they're not available. I just want the music, I don't really care about how much the CDs will be worth, I'm not going to sell 'em anyway. :laugh

uindoshin 18th June 2003 07:22 AM

the only diff between the jpn/os dvds is the os dvds usually have chinese and english subtitles, while the jpn version does not. the os dvds have the exact same stuff as the jpn version, but at a cheaper price. hope that helps :)

Ibitsu Kokoro 21st June 2003 12:55 AM

THERE ARE ENGLISH SUBTITLES ON OVERSEAS VERSION!??!???
I have the dome tour video and it doesn't have any subtitles .... But I think I remember them not selling a overseas version or something ...

sxesven 21st June 2003 12:58 AM

I'd never heard anything about English subtitles on concert DVDs :rolleyes Is that really true??? :confused

CREA 21st June 2003 01:22 AM

No. To my knowledge, overseas versions only have chinese subtitles.