Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai

Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai (http://www.ahsforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Enquiries (http://www.ahsforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   what's the difference between Overseas version and the Japan version (http://www.ahsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3009)

eVe 13th December 2002 01:34 PM

what's the difference between Overseas version and the Japan version

...."I am..." Overseas version and the japan version?
can sombody tell me please. cuz I'm buying this one too and I wanna know which one to order :)
so pleas help me ^.^

Grantith 13th December 2002 09:38 PM

Now that I Am has been out for a while and there isn't a first pressing edition, the Japan and Overseas version should be pretty much identical. The sound quality should be the same. Some people say that the booklet color or quality might be a little different, but I own the Overseas I Am and it looks perfectly fine to me. It's just as nice as my Japan version CDs. So if you want to save money then definitely go with the Overseas, but if you're one of those people that want to have Japan version of everything, then obviously go with Japan.

By the way, if I'm incorrect about any of these, please feel free to correct me.

fantaisie.sign 14th December 2002 03:49 AM

I posted this before in another thread so I guess I'll post it again. The overseas versions are normally identical to the Japan versions except they contain an extra pamphlet with the Chinese translation (or transliterations -- not sure exactly) of all the songs. If it's an overseas VCD, it will have Chinese subtitles at the bottom with an extra pamphlet again with the Chinese translations (or transliterations) of songs. The packaging is also a little different. For example, the spines of overseas Ayu CDs will have the Chinese spelling of her name and the romanized version of her name while the Japan version only has the Japanese spelling (with the kanji and hiragana). The only major differences I've seen in overseas and Japan package designs are for other artists, but for the most part the overseas and Japan versions are identical. The music is the same, the booklets are usually the same, but there might be very minute packaging differences. Here's how YesAsia describes the differences:

"An original (in this case, Japan) version refers to a product that is imported from the country it was produced and released. Therefore the price is slightly higher than the overseas version.

An overseas version refers to a product that is released by a licensed local record label and therefore the price is more competitive to the local market. Other than the price difference, the overseas version may also include some slight changes, such as, the translation of the booklet into local language, different packaging and printing, or the inclusion of additional bonus tracks."

Jasmine 15th December 2002 04:56 PM

Well, don't give up on the first pressing of 'I am...' I ordered in
September and still got the big Obi and pin ^_^ Yay-woooo CD Japan.

Have a Happy Day!
~Jasmine

Grantith 15th December 2002 06:37 PM

Same here. I ordered in the summer and I still got the large obi too. The CD websites probably have a large stock of the CDs when they first come out, and they just keep selling from that section they have, so I'm sure they have first pressings for a long time.

EdenZone 15th December 2002 08:07 PM

yup.. keep looking !

AyuPan 15th December 2002 11:56 PM

One thing to mention which I didn't read scanning the posts, if you buy the Jpn Version, the artist will get most of the proceeds from that item. However, with the OS Version, the company in HK or Taiwan gets most of the proceeds. So if you want to support the artist more than usual, buy the Jpn Version. I prefer the OS Version coz its $10 cheaper and your getting the same thing. However, there are times when I have to buy the Jpn Version... for example Rina Aiuchi's CDs.

Grantith 16th December 2002 01:34 AM

Are you sure that buying the Jpn version will give the artist more money? I've never heard that before.

AyuPan 16th December 2002 01:46 AM

I've heard it at other forums and it does make a lot of sense. However, I haven't read anything about this from music companies or retailers from the asian countries.

Piccolo 19th December 2002 12:07 AM

Obi? Whats that?

nmskalmn 19th December 2002 03:01 AM

obi = spine card

trainspotter01 16th April 2003 12:45 AM

they are almost the same, of course there r slight differences of the obi, copyright info and stuff
but if u have a better set of sound system, the japanese version does sound better than the oversea version

uindoshin 26th April 2003 07:52 AM

The Japan Version may be more expensive, but its better..^^; The sound quality is better on my sound system than my friends OS Ver. of I am...

Grantith 26th April 2003 03:32 PM

I don't have a Japan and Overseas version of the same CD so I can't say for sure about the sound quality. All I know is that I've been very happy with my overseas versions (and I can't tell a noticable different with my }{ Japan version when I listen to those same songs on my Overseas RAINBOW. Sounds the same to me).

mimika 8th May 2003 08:05 PM

all ayu cd's i have are overseas versions, mainly 'cus i want the chinese lyrics so that i understand wat she's trying to sing, besides, cd's are generally sold at a higher price in japan locally then say compared to north america, therefore making the japnese version we get also more expensive

i'm not a big fan of stero system so i can't notice any difference btw the japanese and overseas version, but i've a friend that works at hmv hongkong where they sell both japanese and overseas version of ayu cd's and he told me that japnese versions does have better sound quality

sxesven 15th June 2003 09:54 PM

The story about Overseas versions being of a lesser quality sounds a bit strange to me... I mean, a CD is a CD. I have never ever noticed differences between pressings of CD's, IF they are originals. I mean, MP3 CD's, bootlegs and that kind of stuff might be of a lesser quality but seriously, I think this is strange. If you'd give people both a Japanese and an Overseas version of a particular album without telling which is which, they probably wouldn't even notice the difference. So I'm sticking to the Overseas versions, unless they're not available. I just want the music, I don't really care about how much the CDs will be worth, I'm not going to sell 'em anyway. :laugh

uindoshin 18th June 2003 07:22 AM

the only diff between the jpn/os dvds is the os dvds usually have chinese and english subtitles, while the jpn version does not. the os dvds have the exact same stuff as the jpn version, but at a cheaper price. hope that helps :)

Ibitsu Kokoro 21st June 2003 12:55 AM

THERE ARE ENGLISH SUBTITLES ON OVERSEAS VERSION!??!???
I have the dome tour video and it doesn't have any subtitles .... But I think I remember them not selling a overseas version or something ...

sxesven 21st June 2003 12:58 AM

I'd never heard anything about English subtitles on concert DVDs :rolleyes Is that really true??? :confused

CREA 21st June 2003 01:22 AM

No. To my knowledge, overseas versions only have chinese subtitles.

pSyko_mEi_ xD 21st June 2003 01:30 AM

al da cds i own of ayumi are also overseas... not cux im too cheap but i could hardly find any jpn versions here... and besides da jpn version and overseas are all the same to me...

hey did u know dat krn version cds are cheaper than overseas verison??

sxesven 21st June 2003 09:37 AM

Well have fun with watching! But as stated, the overseas versions only have Chinese subs. Who cares, it's all about the music. And the images hehehehe :laugh

leafyamazaki 4th July 2003 09:48 PM

Her 2000 concerts were.... fairly good. I really don't know THAT much cause I only got to watch the first day... on wowow... anyway, it's good. Same with CDL 2000-2001, which I also watched on wowow about a year ago.

sxesven 5th July 2003 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by gohan
-She is either really, really sick or shes acting. (During HANABI on 02-03)
Well, I read something about her being ill during some performance :shrug

Quote:

Originally posted by gohan
-PUNK?? What? (00-01)
[/B]
Hey what's that? Punk? What do you mean? :confused

sxesven 5th July 2003 10:47 AM

Oh yeah, that shirt. I got some big pics of that too. I thot so already. Nevertheless, it's just a fashion thing I'm sure. The punkiest thing Ayu ever record was Flower Garden, so I don't think anyone should ph34r the fact that she might go punk :laugh

sxesven 5th July 2003 11:58 AM

I agree on your last statement ;)

But anyways. I mean, what's so bad about a T that says Punk? Just look at what they sell at the clothing stores. Whenever I go shopping with my g/f I'm always surprised about the prints on the shirt. Last it year it was 'METAL CHICK' and 'HARDROCK', the year before that 'PUNK' and whatever. It's always like that.

Set_0ne 5th July 2003 12:36 PM

Yep, it's all for fasion! And what Ayu wears has amazing effects on people in Japan..You have mini Ayu's walking around Japan! Hehehe

Oh and when she was sick..Is that when she had an eye patch or something or other? Or she actually had a cold type illness?

Findlay 4th August 2003 07:21 PM

I can't really tell the difference between JPN & OS Versions 'cause all my ayu CDs are Japan Version. I don't feel comfortable to buy OS Version CDs, yeah I'm sometimes a perfectionist which I'd rather spend more to get JPN Version. But seems like that the printing of OS Version CD and booklet are slightly not as good as JPN version when I compared my A BALLADS with my friend's overseas one. Well, it's all up to yourself, but I still think Japan always produces better quality products than other countries anyways. :2laugh

mimika 4th August 2003 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sxesven
I'd never heard anything about English subtitles on concert DVDs :rolleyes Is that really true??? :confused
they only have chinese subtitles....

'cus although they call it "overseas version"

itz actually "hongkong version"

all overseas versions are manufactured and released in hongkong before it got shipped to other places

besides since their main overseas market is hongkong and maybe even taiwan

therefore it make sense for them to just produce chinese instead of english

ayumugen 2nd September 2003 07:29 AM

Overseas vs. Japan version

Yeah, I've bought both the overseas and japanese versions of Ayu's cds and the myth about the japanese versions having better sound quality is false.

As stated before, there are chinese lyrics in the overseas version and different type of cd cases is a difference between the two ( the button on the j cases is a four point one). I buy the overseas ones to save money but if I had my choice I'd buy the j cds.:laugh [COLOR=darkblue][FONT=arial][SIZE=1]

sxesven 5th September 2003 03:54 PM

Re: Overseas vs. Japan version

Quote:

Originally posted by ayumugen
I buy the overseas ones to save money but if I had my choice I'd buy the j cds.:laugh [COLOR=darkblue][FONT=arial][SIZE=1]
Why? It makes no sense.

As you say there is no difference between these two.

Delirium-Zer0 1st October 2003 02:57 AM

Not necessarily. Anyone who has an overseas ayu-mi-x II CD as well as a japan version can tell you that.

Japan version:
-Glossy finish inside insert (that means shiny & smooth)
-No obi (spine card)
-Centered image of 3 ayus on back
-Flawless sound quality
-Limited edition has sparkle jewel case, clear tray insert, and picture card
-Normal edition does not have a picture card, has plain jewel case, and opaque tray insert

Overseas Version (mine are the Taiwan "What's Music" distribution versions):
-matte finish inside insert (that means dull & kind of rough)
-Obi with chinese title, stock number, tracklist, and chinese copyright info
-Image of three ayus on the back is off-center (to make room for the back of the obi on the side)
-Slight hiss heard in background if played loud
-"Limited" edition has the same qualities as the japanese version, but is not as limited
-"Normal" edition also includes a picture card, whereas the japanese normal edition does not.

Yarumi 1st October 2003 06:51 PM

I have some overseas concerts and an all region DVD player... and there are no subtitles... didn't know if you guys found out or not... I was to lazy to read all the posts ^_^()

what's an obi?

stephymoo 26th November 2003 01:24 AM

Actually, I read somewhere that some (or maybe even all) Overseas versions are bootlegs made by Taiwanese or Hong Kong companies. I know that there are lots of different Taiwanese/Hong Kong companies who make and distribute Ayumi CDs (and also other Jpop/rock singers as well as anime CDs); for example SonMay or Alion. I dunno if they really are bootlegs or not, but I find it suspicious that there are multiple companies selling other versions of Japanese CDs.

sxesven 26th November 2003 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by stephymoo
Actually, I read somewhere that some (or maybe even all) Overseas versions are bootlegs made by Taiwanese or Hong Kong companies.
I highly doubt that. Avex would have sued Yesasia or so years ago already for selling bootlegs in that case. So just NO.

stephymoo 28th November 2003 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by sxesven
I highly doubt that. Avex would have sued Yesasia or so years ago already for selling bootlegs in that case. So just NO.
Oh, I see. You're right. Thanks for pointing that out.

Akhet 6th January 2004 12:43 AM

hmm i have to say i completely disagree with anyone who says that japan versions have better sound quality....thats wrong

it is true that occasionally the japanese ver will have better booklet quality

R@INBOW 6th April 2004 01:43 PM

well, i cant tell u the differences because over here it's really hard to find the japan version. But, even if there is a japan version, i would go for the overseas one cause its cheaper (i really need to save on $ as i m not working) and also OS has chinese lyrics! I get to know the meaning of her songs. I own her OS albums from A BEST till Memorial Address and i must say the packaging and song quality is satisfactory.

AyuCrazy2003 6th April 2004 05:07 PM

All my japan version CDs play just as good as my Overseas..

leafyamazaki 6th April 2004 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mimika
all overseas versions are manufactured and released in hongkong before it got shipped to other places
Correction...
There's also avex taiwan, so NOT all overseas versions are manufactured by avex asia. Avex taiwan CDs are distributed by What's Music, Inc.

I have both overseas and japan versions of day after tomorrow's primary colors album. Slight difference is that on the overseas version(limited edition with DVD), the booklet's cover page is thicker than the japan version's cover page. Sound quality - the same. That's about it.

Ayu no Koi 19th May 2004 09:49 AM

albums: japan vs. overseas versions

edit: for those of you who are saying that there is no difference in sound quality between the two...do you have a high fidelity stereo systems or are you just listening to your cds on a small boombox? im into high quality music and background noises such as "hissing" annoys me. i can detect these static noises right away, so i wouldnt mind spending more on the japan versions. i just want to know for sure if there is a sound quality difference between the OS and JPN versions.

~K+ 19th May 2004 09:55 AM

Wrong section :P

But NOoOOOoOoOoOoO, Not this question again o__O'

Anyways, go here:

http://eneabba.net/ayu/music/guide/09.jp-os.htm

natalaxie 1st July 2004 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pSyko_mEi_ xD
al da cds i own of ayumi are also overseas... not cux im too cheap but i could hardly find any jpn versions here... and besides da jpn version and overseas are all the same to me...

hey did u know dat krn version cds are cheaper than overseas verison??

yea i saw on yesasia that BoA's new korean cd is SOOOOOOOO cheap! i think its bcoz the korean music industry isnt going so well... :no

natalaxie 1st July 2004 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sxesven

yea my OS version of everlasting (ELT) had a little paper in it with a survey from avex in hong kong and the address of avex in hong kong. i dont think they would have that in a bootleg by another company

natalaxie 1st July 2004 12:56 PM

and also my 'everlasting' the booklet pics seem kinda bad quality but i dunno if its supposed to be like that - like its artistic kind of photography - or if its better in the japan version

sxesven 1st July 2004 01:05 PM

There is such a thing as grainy photography. I don't know of which CD you speak, but it is likely that is was done on purpose.

Pharaoh 1st September 2004 10:03 PM

A Japanese Version refers to an item which is manufactured and released in Japan whereas an Overseas Version refers to the same item but it is released and manufactured by a licensed local distributor. In most cases, the content of the item is the same except that the Overseas Version may include some slight changes such as the booklet has been translated into local language.
From Yesasia

Raleigh 22nd December 2004 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~K+
Wrong section :P

But NOoOOOoOoOoOoO, Not this question again o__O'

Anyways, go here:

http://eneabba.net/ayu/music/guide/09.jp-os.htm

Uhm.. the link's not working?

emi♡ 23rd July 2005 08:33 PM

does anyone know if the overseas versions have Region 1 dvds, or are they all region 2?

Ayumi no Yume 14th August 2005 10:02 PM

I don't know if anyone siad this yet, but i think the japan version is like, in all japanese text, like the overseas one, is the original. like when you open the booklet, there's names, like "Max Matsuura" might be in Hiragana and Kanji instead of Romanji

pbs1605 30th November 2005 03:14 AM

Thank you Pharaoh.

Eigakan 2nd December 2005 08:31 AM

I didn't want to open another thread so I'll ask here:

Starting next year I'll start buying Ayu's albums (at last) and there's no doubt about it, I'm going for the japanese versions (I don't mind paying up to $35 plus S&H on her albums). But for concert DVD's is different, I think that the price for the japanese versions are quite expensive, so my question is this: are the overseas versions of Ayu's DVD's bad or almost the same as the japanese ones; also, are chinese subtitles imposed throughout the concert or can you turn them off (including the extras, and do japanese editions of her concerts have subtitles in any language?) and finally, from all the overseas versions that exist, which are better: korean, taiwanese or from Hong Kong?

Thanks for your help

orangeland 2nd December 2005 08:45 AM

^ japanese dvds and overseas dvds have the exact same video content. on dvds (if subtitles exist), they must be turn-off-able. however on VCDs, that might not be the case. VCDs will have a lesser quality than DVDs, but overseas and japan DVDs are identical in quality. hope that helps :)

Shiso 2nd December 2005 09:10 AM

I have all Ayu concerts on DVD (os versions) and they DO NOT have any subtitles.

momobean 6th December 2005 10:20 AM

Sorry if this has been asked before but do the OS versions come with the same stuff that comes with JPN version first pressing and all that?

Eigakan 21st December 2005 09:05 AM

I didn't want to start another thread so: I ordered my (miss) understood album from www.play-asia.com and it's the Japan version. Has somebody bought from them (they're in HK) and if so: do you think they'll get first press, because it didn't say anything about being the first press, it just says that's the japanese version with DVD...

Ani_C 15th July 2006 07:11 PM

this explains alot ^_^! hehe i think i'll just stick to overseas most of the time in the near by future :3

ayu_fan929 17th July 2006 02:06 AM

Wanted to address some of these questions even though they are quite old.

Quote:

Originally Posted by natalaxie
yea i saw on yesasia that BoA's new korean cd is SOOOOOOOO cheap! i think its bcoz the korean music industry isnt going so well... :no

No, it's because the Korean standard of living is cheaper than Japan's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eigakan
I didn't want to open another thread so I'll ask here:

Starting next year I'll start buying Ayu's albums (at last) and there's no doubt about it, I'm going for the japanese versions (I don't mind paying up to $35 plus S&H on her albums). But for concert DVD's is different, I think that the price for the japanese versions are quite expensive, so my question is this: are the overseas versions of Ayu's DVD's bad or almost the same as the japanese ones; also, are chinese subtitles imposed throughout the concert or can you turn them off (including the extras, and do japanese editions of her concerts have subtitles in any language?) and finally, from all the overseas versions that exist, which are better: korean, taiwanese or from Hong Kong?

Thanks for your help

As far as I know subtitles only exist in the overseas VCD versions, and in none of the DVD versions. For DVDs I don't think there are Korean Versions, but I could be wrong. Either way, all 3 of the options in your last question are the same product and there is virtually no difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by emikotogawa
does anyone know if the overseas versions have Region 1 dvds, or are they all region 2?

Region 3.

Ayu_Fan_00 30th July 2006 11:30 PM

*confused* help

I`m surfing Yesasia and cdjapan (mostly yesasia) right now for some Ayu cd`s and dvd`s. What`s the difference between overseas version and Japan version? and then there`s the hong kong version and korean version, etc. O.o

sorry :( :( :( :( :(

edit: feels stupid. I just now saw this thread.

LacusClyne 3rd August 2006 10:08 AM

for your first question, please read the 1st page, it's been answered very clearly.

second answer: hongkong version will have translation of the songs in chinese, while the korea version are in korean. and the cd is remanufactered in hongkong(or known as overseas) or Korea.

astameth 28th November 2006 11:22 PM

Hello,
I've got a question about the overseas version of the cdl 05-06. All my overseas ayu dvd's comes with the original japanese booklet with pictures, and an other with chinese lyrics, but for the cdl 05-06 i only got chinese lyrics !! it's normal ? avex choice ? the japanese booklet is present for the overseas arena 06 dvd ?

Norrel 28th November 2006 11:52 PM

Thats weird, I got my japanese booklet with my CDL 05-06 o.o
And yeah, there is the japanese booklet with AT06.

astameth 29th November 2006 12:30 AM

I asked to Yesasia about my cdl 05-06, answer: With reference to your email dated 28 Nov, 2006, we want to kindly inform you that upon checking the item "ayumi hamasaki COUNTDOWN LIVE 2005-2006 A (Hong Kong Version) ", we never claim that the item comes with the booklet. And we confirm with the supplier also, this item does not come with booklet. wtf ? :irked

LacusClyne 2nd December 2006 09:49 AM

^that's ridiculous! i bought my CDL05-06 DVD from YA too and it has a japanese booklet!!!

Ayu_Jayson 10th January 2007 12:00 AM

Shortage of booklets? Or due to different batches of discs?

Jordan 15th February 2007 10:09 PM

Is it only the Japan Editions that dont contain subtitles? I really dont want to watch a show with subtitles :D

LacusClyne 24th February 2007 07:14 AM

the oversea vesion DVD has a translation sheet only, the subtitles is only on the oversea VCD

minkAYuko 24th February 2007 03:28 PM

THere are differences!
Delirium zero pointed out some good facts.

- plus the way some CDs are made for instance LOVEppears the poster that comes inside is different from overseas version and japanese version (bigger in overseas).

- As she had said it the printing quaility IS NOT THE SAME!, I have both LOVEppears and the overseas version the cover look more.. dark and not crsip as the japanese version.

- And something I always saw on onverseas CD printing is that is off. The small letters that say...! AVEX TRAX. etc... is always off if it has2 colors.

the quality of printing, paper Case is cheaper looking and feeling too. so that.s what I can say :P

Peger 27th March 2007 01:42 AM

Overseas versions are usually just as good as the Japanese versions, altough in my experience there's a higher chance the OS versions will have scratches and such. I think the significantly lower price is worth the risk, though

~juJu~ 18th April 2007 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astameth (Post 960277)
Hello,
I've got a question about the overseas version of the cdl 05-06. All my overseas ayu dvd's comes with the original japanese booklet with pictures, and an other with chinese lyrics, but for the cdl 05-06 i only got chinese lyrics !! it's normal ? avex choice ? the japanese booklet is present for the overseas arena 06 dvd ?

Odd!
Mine doesn't have a "booklet" persay, just a a 2-page thing with the Jp lyrics... and then the little chinese lyrics, and the usual Avex Adds.

I have a question about COUNT DOWN LIVE 2004-2005 :-

Is it meant to be 4:3 ? Because of that it's lesser quality :grumpy and when i first put it in, it refused to play in VLC and my program that rips DVD audio - and then i installed an all region hack for my PowerDVD program and it works fine. Odd.

astameth 19th April 2007 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~juJu~ (Post 1071041)
Odd!
Mine doesn't have a "booklet" persay, just a a 2-page thing with the Jp lyrics... and then the little chinese lyrics, and the usual Avex Adds.

After they said that no booklet was present with this item, Yesasia finally sent me a booklet.. :innocent

mannie 19th April 2007 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AyuPan (Post 29349)
if you buy the Jpn Version, the artist will get most of the proceeds from that item. However, with the OS Version, the company in HK or Taiwan gets most of the proceeds. So if you want to support the artist more than usual, buy the Jpn Version.

Oh cool! :)
I've always bought Japan Versions and I also will do :)
They seem nicer to me :) And aside from that when buying with a DVD it's the same region for me as my player isn't Region Free. :)

~juJu~ 21st April 2007 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astameth (Post 1072264)
After they said that no booklet was present with this item, Yesasia finally sent me a booklet.. :innocent

Actually i was mistaken, they're actually the chinese lyrics...

So did you just email YesAsia and say you didn't get a booklet ?

How weird i didn't get one too !

It's good you got your one though :yes

Edit :::

I just emailed them & got a reply :-

Dear Julian ,

Thank you for purchasing at YesAsia.com.

Referring to your enquiry, we have forwarded your enquiry to our supplier and product executives for further checking if "ayumi hamasaki COUNTDOWN LIVE 2005-2006 A (Hong Kong Version) " provides any booklet. We will contact you again once more information is available.

Thank you for your patience on this issue.

Please do not reply to this email directly. Should you have any further enquiries or comment, please refer to http://www.yesasia.com/help/Index.aspx?lang=en

Best regards,
Linda Sze
Customer Service Department
YesAsia.com
Within Continental US: +1 866-440-8388 (Toll Free Phone); +1 866-451-8388 (Toll Free Fax)
Within Canada: +1 866-468-0889
Within UK: +0800-051-6800
From the rest of the world:+852 2522 1227(Phone in Hong Kong);+852 2786-0650 (Fax in Hong Kong)

astameth 21st April 2007 09:50 AM

Yes, I sent them several emails, but they continued to say: no booklet..
3 days after my last email i received an invoice with no detail, that was the booklet.. If they don't want to send you one, insist !

fanmail 2nd May 2007 01:30 PM

I hate OS/HK etc versions of CD's ~_~ I wish I had always bought the Japan versions instead of falling for a slightly cheaper price for a CD V_V...

-The cases are cheaper - they crack/scratch easier
-Paper is cheaply printed - marks easily
-Sometimes (Rarely) CD or DVD will have errors (I had an error with my CD & DVD of A BEST 2 -WHITE-)

Japan versions are awesome! I'll be buying them from now on!! ^_^

EXAMPLE:

Ai am BEST - Otsuka Ai

The Japan version comes:
-in a red plastic box with "(kanji AI) AM BEST" pressed into it
-CD+DVD
-COOLIFIED "AI" stamp or pencil / other random gift

My friend who got the HK version only got the CD+DVD in the case ... no red box, no stamp ... no extras. Japan Version = BETTER EXTRAS!!

HOWEVER

SOMETIMES the HK version is better ... they come with exclusive postcards and they're not as "limited" as Japan versions are ... The HK version of Koda Kumi's "BEST ~second session~ CD+2DVD" is still available after 1 year ... the Japan version quickly sold out ...

MAKE YOUR DECISION!

*long post* >_>

~juJu~ 5th May 2007 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astameth (Post 1072264)

-after 2 weeks of nothing i emailed them agin today and i got this replly....

Dear Julian ,

Thank you for purchasing at YesAsia.com.

We apologize for the late reply. Referring to your order 4593291 , as confirmed by our supplier, for the item "ayumi hamasaki COUNTDOWN LIVE 2005-2006 A (Hong Kong Version) ", no booklet is included but only the Chinese translations of lyrics and MC.

We hope you find the information useful and we look forward to serving you soon.

Please do not reply to this email directly. Should you have any further enquiries or comment, please refer to http://www.yesasia.com/help/Index.aspx?lang=en

Best regards,
Linda Sze
Customer Service Department
YesAsia.com
Within Continental US: +1 866-440-8388 (Toll Free Phone); +1 866-451-8388 (Toll Free Fax)
Within Canada: +1 866-468-0889
Within UK: +0800-051-6800
From the rest of the world:+852 2522 1227(Phone in Hong Kong);+852 2786-0650 (Fax in Hong Kong)

:irked

Jordan 25th May 2007 08:28 PM

I just bought:

ayumi hamasaki COUNTDOWN LIVE 2005-2006 A (Hong Kong Version)

ayumi hamasaki ARENA TOUR 2005 A - MY STORY (Overseas Version)

Will any of them have subtitles?

astameth 25th May 2007 08:43 PM

No :)

Jordan 26th May 2007 11:24 PM

Great :D

Should recieve them Monday/Tuesday :D

~juJu~ 27th May 2007 12:45 AM

Can you check if your CDL 05-06 has a booklet ?

i'm so annoyed i didn't get one... and yesasia won't do anything about it ! (i should get my hong kong friend to ring htem up ahah)

LacusClyne 27th May 2007 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan (Post 1097912)
I just bought:

ayumi hamasaki COUNTDOWN LIVE 2005-2006 A (Hong Kong Version)

ayumi hamasaki ARENA TOUR 2005 A - MY STORY (Overseas Version)

Will any of them have subtitles?

no subtitles, but there will be a booklet with chinese translation. that's all

pUrpLeSn0w 29th May 2007 10:49 AM

oh no subtitles so sad..but then at least there'z a chinese translation.. T.T makes me wonder..for those who also listen to Ayu'z song but are don chi n also don understand pretty pony~pretty pony~pretty pony~..how ar??? also wont understand right??? =X

~juJu~ 29th May 2007 11:38 AM

that's why you look at the english translatoins =D

her albums arn't officially released in any english speaking coutnires and that's why they have no english lyric translations in the booklets !!

TakaSama 26th March 2008 04:53 AM

Regarding the quality differences of the overseas versions versus Japan versions:

I recently moved to Japan and began the painstaking process of repurchasing all of my Ayu CDs. Why? The printing quality of the Avex Taiwan versions I used to own is unmistakably lower. The reason I say this is because the color quality on Duty and Memorial Address is off - the gold is a bit muddy looking compared to the Japanese press. A Song For XX is printed in the right color, but the silver foil has begun to flake off a little bit and I also gouged it with my fingernail once, creating a scratch where the white paper shows through. :grumpy For the Japanese press, A Song For XX comes in an extra fat case to fit the thick booklet, but the OS one is in a standard CD case and the paper for the booklet is thinner, although still too thick to fit into the case properly.

Also, the CDs themselves are not pressed as nicely. There is a chip in the silver top rim (around the blue printing) of my copy of RAINBOW. It doesn't affect playing the cd, but it seems like a bad sign for the longevity of it. I've never dropped it or bumped it, so I think it was just weak to begin with.

If you have the money, get the Japanese versions! Also, if you are careful, you can get cheap used copies from places like Ebay. The Japanese versions will always have the code AVCD at the beginning, and overseas will have AVTCD. Bootlegs usually won't reference AVEX at all or will look extremely cheap.

If you have a chance to come to Japan, look at used CD shops. I bought A Song for XX, Duty, Rainbow and almost all of her singles for 100 yen (~ $1) a piece. This was a really good deal, but if even normally her older albums are only selling for 500 yen or less!

LacusClyne 31st March 2008 03:47 AM

^100 yen for a singles is so cheap. i'm happy for you to grab such a good deal. (^_^)

and true about the a song for xx album booklet, the first time i took the booklet out, i have difficulties keeping it back and end up tearing a small corner of it....(=_=) Since then, i don't dare to take the booklet out, i'm scared that i will damage it worse.
i never realise that the Japan version used a different case for this.

AyumiBest 2nd April 2008 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakaSama (Post 1389213)
Regarding the quality differences of the overseas versions versus Japan versions:

I recently moved to Japan and began the painstaking process of repurchasing all of my Ayu CDs. Why? The printing quality of the Avex Taiwan versions I used to own is unmistakably lower. The reason I say this is because the color quality on Duty and Memorial Address is off - the gold is a bit muddy looking compared to the Japanese press. A Song For XX is printed in the right color, but the silver foil has begun to flake off a little bit and I also gouged it with my fingernail once, creating a scratch where the white paper shows through. :grumpy For the Japanese press, A Song For XX comes in an extra fat case to fit the thick booklet, but the OS one is in a standard CD case and the paper for the booklet is thinner, although still too thick to fit into the case properly.

Also, the CDs themselves are not pressed as nicely. There is a chip in the silver top rim (around the blue printing) of my copy of RAINBOW. It doesn't affect playing the cd, but it seems like a bad sign for the longevity of it. I've never dropped it or bumped it, so I think it was just weak to begin with.

If you have the money, get the Japanese versions! Also, if you are careful, you can get cheap used copies from places like Ebay. The Japanese versions will always have the code AVCD at the beginning, and overseas will have AVTCD. Bootlegs usually won't reference AVEX at all or will look extremely cheap.

If you have a chance to come to Japan, look at used CD shops. I bought A Song for XX, Duty, Rainbow and almost all of her singles for 100 yen (~ $1) a piece. This was a really good deal, but if even normally her older albums are only selling for 500 yen or less!

wow! Thats pretty good! XD

che0173 6th April 2008 05:44 AM

ummm
imo i prefer pretty pony~pretty pony~pretty pony~ versions as they seem more *authentic* to me
but the difference between both is that overseas version (os versions) have distributed to hong kong singapore malaysia taiwan etc at the back of the case if it is an album, or on the obi if it is a single
the lyrics booklet and everything is the same as japanese version
but within the os version there is also a white booklet wif translations of all the songs
pretty much a third or even half price of Japanese versions but with different distributor information at the back or obi and extra translation booklet inside da case.
p.s. the translation is normally in chinese if you're in any of the asian countries...common sense xD
hahas
hope this helped

pommy48 6th April 2008 07:44 AM

hmm i have a question, if i buy an ayu album in a music store in taiwan...will it be the jp or overseas version?

Echidna 11th April 2008 06:45 PM

anyone already bought OS ver of Asia tour 2007?
just want to know about quality video\dvd-case etc
:)

fanmail 11th April 2008 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Echidna (Post 1414569)
anyone already bought OS ver of Asia tour 2007?
just want to know about quality video\dvd-case etc
:)

the quality is the same as the japan version on the video.
the slipcase and booklet etc re all great quality, the slipcase has the shiny gold, just like japan version.

;)

Echidna 12th April 2008 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fanmail (Post 1414579)
the quality is the same as the japan version on the video.
the slipcase and booklet etc re all great quality, the slipcase has the shiny gold, just like japan version.

;)

thanx :)

KarenPang 13th April 2008 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pommy408 (Post 1404959)
hmm i have a question, if i buy an ayu album in a music store in taiwan...will it be the jp or overseas version?

it depends because stores in Taiwan can either sell their own local press of her albums or they import it over from Japan .

1 big difference's the price . For Japan imports , it's always more expensive .

Alternatively you can check the back of the CD case as to where the CD's being manfactured but a big hint's the price difference .

& OS presses come with translation sheets of ayumi's lyrics from Japanese to Chinese

For my case , the local HMV do import her albums / singles from Japan but only the CD only versions due to region code issues so I have a feeling it will follow suit for Taiwan's case since DVDs produced in S'pore & Taiwan are region code 3 .

For Japan it's region code 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by che0173 (Post 1404814)
ummm
imo i prefer pretty pony~pretty pony~pretty pony~ versions as they seem more *authentic* to me
but the difference between both is that overseas version (os versions) have distributed to hong kong singapore malaysia taiwan etc at the back of the case if it is an album, or on the obi if it is a single
the lyrics booklet and everything is the same as japanese version
but within the os version there is also a white booklet wif translations of all the songs
pretty much a third or even half price of Japanese versions but with different distributor information at the back or obi and extra translation booklet inside da case.
p.s. the translation is normally in chinese if you're in any of the asian countries...common sense xD
hahas
hope this helped

I know that there're people who're willing to splurge more on Japan versions as they're the real McCoy & not to mention it's said that the quality's even better than OS presses

personally I don't see the need to buy the original . Since there're OS presses of ayumi's albums & singles , why bother to pay so much where you can have an OS press at a much much cheaper price ?

then again it all boils down to personal preferences

Deneb 13th April 2008 07:35 AM

you guys might be talking about cd, but anyone knows whats the differences between japan version and Os (hk) version of magazine. just say er, Vivi whats the differents except japanese and chinese texts.

i guess this falls in to difference between oveseas and jp version too xD

Corrsgirl1 13th April 2008 09:05 AM

I dont know about Japanese and Chinese magazines but here in the Netherlands they sell Ducth and English/American versions of the same magazines (like Cosmo etc.) And the Ducth version is pretty diffrent from the English one. Some things will be the same but a lot is diffrent to apeal more to the Ducth people.

lovelism 8th May 2008 09:47 AM

There is also A DIFFERENCE in SOUND QUALITY only if you use a Good MUSIC PLAYER Like an Amplifier with Good Surround Sound Speakers...I tried it For My mirrorcle World Japan Version and Hk version...Sounded so Different!

LacusClyne 8th May 2008 12:16 PM

^there! Thank you so much!

I had been telling people that THERE IS a difference in the sound, but hardly anyone believes me.
My ears are very sensitive when it comes to music

fanmail 9th May 2008 07:46 PM

....WTF. How is that possible!?!?! AND I BOUGHT THEM STINKIN' CHINESE VERSIONS? THEY MUST BE EVEN WORSE!!! >.<

orangeland 9th May 2008 09:25 PM

wow.

guys, i think the whole sound quality issue is all in your head.

LacusClyne 12th May 2008 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fanmail (Post 1456596)
....WTF. How is that possible!?!?! AND I BOUGHT THEM STINKIN' CHINESE VERSIONS? THEY MUST BE EVEN WORSE!!! >.<

yup, the china version are the worst sound quality of all. it sounds like 192kbps to me.

aqua_crystal 30th June 2008 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chibinina4 (Post 28776)
I posted this before in another thread so I guess I'll post it again. The overseas versions are normally identical to the Japan versions except they contain an extra pamphlet with the Chinese translation (or transliterations -- not sure exactly) of all the songs. If it's an overseas VCD, it will have Chinese subtitles at the bottom with an extra pamphlet again with the Chinese translations (or transliterations) of songs. The packaging is also a little different. For example, the spines of overseas Ayu CDs will have the Chinese spelling of her name and the romanized version of her name while the Japan version only has the Japanese spelling (with the kanji and hiragana). The only major differences I've seen in overseas and Japan package designs are for other artists, but for the most part the overseas and Japan versions are identical. The music is the same, the booklets are usually the same, but there might be very minute packaging differences. Here's how YesAsia describes the differences:

"An original (in this case, Japan) version refers to a product that is imported from the country it was produced and released. Therefore the price is slightly higher than the overseas version.

An overseas version refers to a product that is released by a licensed local record label and therefore the price is more competitive to the local market. Other than the price difference, the overseas version may also include some slight changes, such as, the translation of the booklet into local language, different packaging and printing, or the inclusion of additional bonus tracks."

Thanks... i've been wondering what's so different about the packaging...