Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - They forgot ayumi......
View Single Post
  #13  
Old 16th January 2011, 10:42 AM
SunshineSlayer's Avatar
SunshineSlayer SunshineSlayer is offline
walking proud Initiate
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Japan/USA
Posts: 7,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmasman View Post
I'm just glad to see Nakamori Akina in there at number 3

but no, Ayu's not an idol singer and never has been
Me too. I never really think of Akina and Momoe as "Idols", but technically they are.

As for the "what qualifies someone to be an idol discussion." In general, idols do not write their own music (although there are some exceptions) and are well known in general, not just well known for being singers. They are known for their personalities, tv shows, movies, stage plays, photo books etc, in addition to music. Music is just one aspect of their career and not necessarily the main feature.

I'm surprised to see SPEED up that high on the list though because outside of their music, as far as I can recall, they didn't do much in the way of tv shows, movies etc. I also find it a bit baffling that they have Kahala Tomomi and Suzuki Ami on the list but not Namie Amuro (who had higher sales.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InoriNoUta View Post
Thankfully, this is something Ayu SHOULDN'T be listed on.
I don't know why it would be considered insulting; all the people on the list are extremely hard workers that are actually pretty talented (some extremely so) in some aspect be it singing or acting, hosting etc. Being considered a top idol in Japan is not something to be ashamed of.

Last edited by SunshineSlayer; 16th January 2011 at 10:52 AM.
Reply With Quote