Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - Ayu's "worsening" voice?
View Single Post
Old 14th February 2010, 10:39 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
And since teddy bear was brought up... I can't deny that teddy bear @ Future Classics was easily the best performance, but seriously... that compared to teddy bear at AT 03-04? It's kinda obvious that a negative change has occurred in her voice, right?

Like what SunshineSlayer has mentioned... her voice now is just way too choppy, strained, breathy and weak as compared to say 2003-2006. I remember being REALLY hyped about hearing Days in PCDL, but when I started, oh God. She was singing really choppy and staccato-ish that... it almost doesn't sound like the Days I know. That's the extent of how bad she could sing.
I would say that the change in teddy bear was more because of the fact that she changed her singing technique around 2006 or so after the release of (miss)understood. She also recorded Startin' in the same studio at the same time as the album tracks for (miss)understood and mentioned "but this is the first time I've challenged myself with a vocal style like "Startin'"! While I was singing, I felt "You can sing like this too". What really brought out that new vocal style was doing the recording in the New York studio with such good sound and nice atmosphere." I would say that her vocal styles in Startin' was only the beginning.) Because of this, I don't think it's fair to compare her vocals from back around 6-7 years ago to her vocals now. It'd be like comparing Kaori Mochida's pre-2002/2003 vocals to her voice now. It's changed so much that people might not even think it was her singing the songs anymore.

As for her breathing issues, I have no idea why she's been running out of breath so easily in some lives like during the Sunrise TV promotion, but at various times since then, she's done pretty well live. Specifically certain performances at CDL09-10 and a-nation '09. Ugh, she did so amazingly at a-nation '09 and no one ever brings it up because they're too busy harping on her bad vocals during -insert performance here-... it's just sad that when she does well, people are quick to say that she's not really singing or something, and then when she does terribly, people say that her vocals have gone down the tubes. I think people complained to no end starting with the CDL05-06 live version, and every year since then, people have been bagging on Ayu's vocals because they're so much more polished than in the live TV broadcast version, but isn't that obvious? It's live/raw! Of course the DVD is going to sound better!

Last edited by truehappiness; 14th February 2010 at 10:46 PM.