Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - Ayu's lyrics meanings.. Help?
View Single Post
Old 2nd September 2005, 05:47 AM
Replace Initiate

Since it takes less effort to do so, I'll address the "STEP you" lyrics first.

Honestly, I think "STEP you" just means "dance with me" (think of her as saying "Step, you!" like a harsh command). Dancing is two people moving in unison to a structured rhythm. People in relationships move together through their lives. Think of it that way and maybe you can understand better.

Saying "fantasy" instead of "idealism" doesn't QUITE get the point across. "fantasy" implies things desired, but totally unreasonable to expect. Like getting a pet dragon or something. It's just WAY out there, never gonna happen, but... it would be nice to have. "Idealism" is more of a possible best-case scenario that you'd like. Like dating a guy you're really good friends with. It might not happen, but it IS possible and, ideally, it would happen.

Now i'm gonna read the Duty lyrics at length (for the first time ever since its release XD i know, i suck), and try to figure out what "it" is. Then I'll edit this post or post again.

EDIT:
Okay, I'm gonna do my take on it. Here's masa's translation of the same passage from "Duty" that you quoted...

Quote:
Well, telling it a little more simply,
"It" is just a group of memories
Connected and arranged
So everyone would have "it"
In their hands before they know
I hope they are aware
"It" appears to be a feeling, or an idea of who you really are. Alot of people in the late 90's and even up to now are trying to figure out who they are in this fast-paced society, as hectic work schedules and rigorous studying leave little time for soul-searching. Alot of people don't really know what they like, what kind of person they want to be, or who their real friends are because they can't afford to put that sort of thing as a high priority. People are constantly hoping for something to come along that will give them a sudden epiphany in which they realize who they are. But that can never happen; it is the past that forms who we are today. Our meaning for living, our personality, is already inside us. We already know who we are, we just need to realize it.

Last edited by Delirium-Zer0; 2nd September 2005 at 05:54 AM.