Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - New song:『Pray for you』
View Single Post
Old 17th January 2021, 04:53 AM
too late Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Lawi! View Post
Yeah I definitely agree with most of the points made above - first off the generic argument is really nitpicking at this point : the girl been singing for two decades and has covered so many styles that grouping a handful of similar sounding sounds is quite preposterous!

And to be honest I love that about her discography, first because it brings people with different tastes, I'm glad to know people enjoy songs I don't find particularly special, but also just on a personal level I'm glad she has a song for pretty much every mood I'm in! I might not be the biggest fan of her classic sounding ballads but I'd be lying if I said I have never played beloved or the way I am on repeat! And I loved loved loved BRILLANTE when it came out but sometimes it starts playing and I just can't be bothered with it. It's just nice to have such variety, it's something I haven't really found in any other artist I'm interested in.
I think she is my favorite artist specially because of that. If we are talking about music crafting (melodies, arrangement, harmonies) we have some artists in J-Pop who are technically above her (like Utada or Shiina Ringo), but her production in general is way above the average and she is experimenting a lot during all these almost 23 years. Yeah, during the last years she has an specific taste for ballads, but she has given us some unique sounding like We are the QUEENS (a mix with epic orchestra, rock and dance track), W and FLOWER (two rock songs, but with a complete different route for each one), Mad World (also rock-influenced, but a very "current" and elegant rock ballad) and Dreamed a Dream (a 90s electronica and pop blaster).

Also, I always remember a thing Andrenekoi has been saying from a long time: when she wants to make her listeners paying attention to the lyrics (actually, she is a lyric-driven artist per se, but still), she downsize the music production to a basic level to avoid any distraction. The most "meaningful" ballads (in a personal level) of TROUBLE are like that and so is Ohia no Ki (I almost cried the first time I read the translation, so I wonder what would be the lyrics impact in a japanese native speaker who could relate to the motherhood situation).

slow down, you won't get there by hurrying
gonna find out if the hard work was worth it
i know it's somewhere in me
i'm just tryna find love

Last edited by summerain; 17th January 2021 at 09:03 AM.