Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - Ayu's "worsening" voice?
View Single Post
Old 15th February 2010, 01:27 PM
A BALLADS Initiate

I can't believe the amount of crap some people in here write when I clearly outlines the evolution of her vocals in an earlier post of mine. 1998-2002 wasn't the time with her "horrible" vocals, she had a little problem with her breathing through her nose, but that's it. The songs on LOVEppears, Duty and I Am... are the hardest in her discography and she sang them very nicely live especially in her earliest performances, people like to call it bad because they don't like the high pitched voice of that time.
Her vocals changed but stayed on around the same level until 2005, she managed to start breathing properly around 2003 and develop a controlled vibrato, however her range shrinked(probably due to her straining her voice too much in her early career)
Around the beginning of 2006 her hearing started to affect the control of her pitch, she started getting shaky in live performances and began to stop notes early because she felt that she would go offtune(JEWEL performances showed that very obvious).
Her vocals were worst around CDL0708 when her ear completely went deaf, the performances of fated and Together When were good because she was far away from the main stage for the most time and therefore heard herself better on her in-ears + she was very focused as seen on her face.
At that time she struggled to hit notes and therefore lost control over her vibrato and had problems breathing properly. These problems still are there today, but she constantly improved over the last two years, CDL0910 had some performances showcasing good vocals and even the performances ruled "bad" most people on a technical level weren't even that bad, she had a way better control over her voice, her breathing, her vibrato. Her range began getting bigger with her hitting notes in Rule and GREEN she hasn't sung since M! She will never be back to her old vocals entirely, you can't sing that good with one deaf ear, hearing yourself is the most important part of singing by far, but she is improving. I would say she is back to her vocals in late 2006/early 2007 by now.

I hope this is understood now, I don't want to write a long essay about this next time xD

PS: Ayu never changed her vocal technique, what she talked about when she wrote about Startin' wasn't really a different technique, but just singing more forcefully with more air.

Last edited by noidea; 15th February 2010 at 01:34 PM.