Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - [Katy Perry] The 4th Thread - 'PRISM' Era
View Single Post
Old 8th June 2017, 04:46 PM
appears Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-baptiste View Post
I definitely think it was a good move for Katy to move towards a mature sound. I Kissed A Girl, Teenage Dream, Roar - the sound of these types of songs is no longer en vogue so it was inevitable that she would make a comeback with a dramatic change in her music style.

I'm not allowing my distaste for these new songs to paint me a picture of the unreleased album just yet though. Chained to the Rhythm was decent. But Bon Apetit is catchy yet uninspired and Swish Swish is one of the worst songs I've ever heard (in my opinion, of course).

It's really hard for me to actually dislike a song as opposed to finding it simply boring or forgettable. But nonetheless, I'm absolutely going to give the full album an honest chance. Cause even though I enjoyed PRISM, the three singles that were super popular (Roar, Dark Horse and This Is How We Do) were my least favorite songs off the entire album. So I'm definitely curious to see what else she delivers!
I also think it's important to point out that Katy hasn't released a new record since 2013. So with almost four years between these two records, that's not too far off from the length of time Enya takes to release a new record. With that kind of time span, Katy certainly wasn't going to come back with the same sound. Just like I think it's insane for people to think Miley would do another Bangerz. (Though, I have to be honest, I am not liking this folksy Miley. During Bangerz era, her attitude and style helped me care less about what other people thought of me. For all the shit she got, she actually was a role model for people like me. And she was fucking beautiful in everything she did.)

For me, PRISM will be hard to top. I feel PRISM was when Katy truly established that she's the new Britney/Christina/NSYNC/BSB. And on point for Taylor, her and Katy are the new Britney vs. Christina. That alone makes me happy because actual pop music has lost so much ground to the rap industry, and none of these rappers are anywhere near the talent of Kim/Foxy/BIG/Pac/Jay/Missy/Brat/Latifah. But Katy and Taylor are truly an evolution of the teen pop artist experience we had 20 years ago.

I think Witness will be a step down from PRISM. But I also think Witness will be like any Ayu album prior to Love songs/LOVE again/etc. We can't honestly compare GUILTY and NEXT LEVEL because they stand so well on their own for completely different reasons. I think Witness will really be the album makes or breaks Katy as a transformative artist. Can she make an album that people love and respect for different reasons than her last album? And still top the charts? I don't know.

I'm slap-silly impressed with Katy this time around. I've had to let CTTR/BA/SS grow on me, but I've ended up loving them as much as I did Roar and Dark Horse. That said, I think Witness will grow on us. We won't be in love with it on release day (like we were with PRISM/Teenage Dream), but in six months, we will all have a more positive vibe with the album.

In some sick way, I'd love Taylor to release a new album at the end of this year just to keep the competition alive. But I'd also rather Taylor come back with an album that isn't so immature. She's always leagues behind Katy IMO on maturity and honesty. It's like Taylor wants to curate her image for her fans, while Katy will just say stupid shit on IG and be like, "Hey, at least you know I'm human."

Still, I think no matter what happens, I'm proud of Katy for this album. I wish she would have let the fans speak for the concept, but she's already hyped it up to be one thing and we all know it's not going to be that. So, again, I think Witness will grow on all of us. We just need to hear it for what it is rather than what we've been told it should or could be.

-> <-