Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - [Charts & Rankings] Official Oricon Thread ~Love songs~ III
Thread: [Charts & Rankings] Official Oricon Thread ~Love songs~ III
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2011, 07:03 PM
End of the World Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrenekoi View Post
^Consider she doesn't have full pvs on Youtube anymore (dumb), and even when she had, videos like You were had good views... unfortunetelly her older views were lost when they changed the videos... Still, Utada for example has 6million views on her most viewd pv,it may be 6x more, but there are acts who can barelly get over 200k views...

She still has an album on top20 in the year-end charts, maybe top30, but still, there aren't only 50 pop acts on Japan, there are thousands... She is not the "it" thing right now, but she is outselling most... IMO the number of the sales only matter when compared to overall sales from a era, and considering this, she is far from doing bad...

There's no artist on the world who can have the best selling album of the year for their entire career... Teenagers move the music industry, and after some age, it's hard to appeal to them...

If she keeps her good sales, sell out big concerts and new artists still take influence from her, I'm pretty sure her career is ok...
But I wasn't talking about her in comparison to the many other acts who fail to even chart, I think that would be obvious with her numbers and goes without saying.

She is outselling most, I never denied that, I was talking about the comments that seem to claim she still holds some sort of "it" influence, which is different to talking about her in comparison to indie acts or different music scenes - for example, I was going to make a comparison to Nana Mizuki in my previous post as it illustrated a point I was trying to make, but it's pointless comparing a seiyuu with mainstream success to Ayu.

Generally what I was trying to say was that she is only catering to a limited fanbase now - like you said yourself, she doesn't appeal to the teen market in Japan anymore. I also never said she was doing bad :p just that her popularity is much less than it was, and it's not a bad thing, she hasn't stopped making good music (dependant on your tastes, of course)

Quote:
And I dont think I meant to overestimate her online sales, I was just saying that I dont think people really look into it and only use Oricon to determine sales, which we should include digital sales as well because they should count as her official sales.
Definitely, I think they need to add digital to the Oricon. It's so backwards that they don't. I think the reason they don't though is because many artists' records would become redundant and it would completely change who gets #1 etc... probably reshaping the entire image projected of who is popular, sells well etc... and who doesn't.