Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - [Official Message] Ayu to perform/take part in a-nation stadium fes. in August
View Single Post
Old 14th August 2015, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrenekoi View Post
On both cases the artist (or "artist", sorry, I can't call someone who only produces fanart an artist, maybe a "fanartist") aren't getting the money from their work. Ayumi (or any other artist) doesn't work to make you happy, she works for money (even because, producing Ayumi Hamasaki is an expensive task by itself), and when someone relies on piracy to get her releases, she isn't paid by her work. Nor her musicians, her dancers, her producers, her stylists, the guys who construct the stage or even the graphic designers people are claiming to defend here. So, the final outcome of both actions aren pretty much the same.

Also, the fanart people are getting her work, changing it and posting it on the internet for free... So, not only are they messing with someone else's intellectual propoerty (and trust me, painting color on an already taken photo is easier than taking the photo, and producing a temporary logo based on a logo that was already done by professionals is far, far easier than producing the original logo, that is so well made it has been around and totally effective for almost two decades), they are demanding rights over it.

Not to say those people shouldn't produce their own take on her stuff, they can do whatever they want... And I believe a lot of really good artists can come out of this process, by copying and editing someone else's stuff until they are able to do their own thing... But even if I agree some kind of shout out would be the best thing for Ayu to do, it's not like there's anything that could really be protected over here. In the end of the day, the fanart producers are the ones messing it up with her work, not the other way around.
There is still a diffrence between stealing someones intellectual property and making money out of it and music piracy. And in all honesty, artist profit from people illegal downloading their music. The musicians and dancers and so on get paid nonetheless, it doesn't matter how many copies for example sixxxxxx can sell. And if people wouldn't download the music illegal they also wouldn't buy it. But because people like to listen to her music they go to her concerts, buy her merch and so on. If people wouldn't download, they wouldn't listen to her at all and therefore not going to any concert and not buying merch.
And sorry that I only own half of her discography and wanted to buy another book for university instead of buying sixxxxxx. Oh and sorry that I had to pay my rent also. If that really disqualifies me to have an opinion about Ayu and her team stealing intellectual property I will say I'm sorry that I'm not rich enough.

And I already explained why I think that an active and devoted fan scene in which people make fan arts is importand for the artist. So saying people who create fan art are messing Ayu's work up is a bit mean.
Not to mention that Ayu's team stole the idea of the font for sixxxxxx from AyuAngel. It was her idea and she didn't used a font Ayu's team invented and just altered it. It was her idea and her design. AyuAngel also mentioned that she's in real life a graphic designer, that means people took the work of an actual graphic designer and get paid for a job they should have done. I don't know how AyuAngel thinks about it but I think it's simply wrong.
And honestly, what would have been the problem by just asking AyuAngel or the other people if it's ok for Ayu's team to use their ideas? I'm pretty sure none of them would have said no. And it would have been great marketing if Ayu would have made a single little post or whatever saying they she liked the work of a fan that much that they asked and now use it. It would have been the work of a few minutes to write one simple email to those people. But they didn't even bothered to do that.