Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - [Charts & Rankings] The Official Oricon Thread of TROUBLE
Thread: [Charts & Rankings] The Official Oricon Thread of TROUBLE
View Single Post
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:20 AM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

Trouble might have sold better than expected, but still has the trend of falling sales continuing - Made in Japan sold 40k and the last mini sixxxxxx 44k.
The reason for it selling decently is most probably the two concerts attached to it and it is hard to tell how it would have done without them.
Smart move to attach after holding them back for so long.

A best of doesn't garantee good sales nowadays.
Even popular artists have problems selling lots in general (like AAA - highly popular right now, doing two big successful tours this year - first arena, right now Dome - are only selling 90k of their new album).
If you look at the yearly Oricon chart, to break in the Top 50 with an album you don't even need sales of 75k...

Overall sales alone don't matter that much anymore. Even somebody with low physical sales can have a healthy career -and vice versa. There's touring, there's digital, there's streaming (a streaming chart by Oricon starts in three weeks). Aimyon would be a good example - her physical sales are non-existent, but digital they're quite nice and she's especially big in streaming. And even though she's just in her 2nd major year of career, she was invited to Kohaku this year.
Ayu still has a healthy fanbase to tour with - hope it stays like that and she isn't loosing more fans.
But even Ai Otsuka with awful sales and pretty much no relevance left whatsoever is doing several tours and concerts (and releases) through the year, even though they're small.
So no career is really just over, it's just about adjustments.
And honestly, while I can see why fans like their artists to be popular, popularity doesn't really matter at all. At least to me personal. And it has so many forms nowadays. Sometimes it seems to me there are too many fans out there just caring about popularity ( we even have a name for fans like that in German).

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Last edited by Corvina; 23rd November 2018 at 10:49 AM.