Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - [A] New album in 2012 ~II~
View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2011, 05:51 PM
I am... Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Eowyn View Post
im not sure about your first comment, but i wouldnt think all producers are that meticulous when creating a song. Anyway, as far as i know, Ayumi makes several versions of a single song and she decides which one is her favourite in the end. Also, i read recently Amy Winehouse made her new song "between the cheats" in two hours or three, so it wasnt neccesary so much detail imho

And about the other thing, i disagree with you, a cd version is not always better than a live one, in that case, that might apply perfectly for singers who cant sing *coughcoughbritneycoughcoughmadonna*
but a live version can be even better than a recorded one if the artist/band actually knows how to perform live.
Most producers are. It's their job. Of course recording line for line or even more is rare, but at least verse for verse recording is the NORMAL procedure. If the song is hard they sometimes recording single lines, words or notes over and over.
Some singers sing from beginning until end in one go but that is rare and mostly only done by really, really good vocalists. And even then several recordings are often mixed together for the final thing. The chorus from the first recording, the bridge from the 3rd... Ayumi has done that exactly once as far as we know, for Secret. That song was recorded in one take and that one take was used. But she had to try many, many times before, it took her 2 days I think.
Amy Winehouse can record her songs faster because they aren't mainstream pop songs, there's jazz, soul, indie influences. All music genres that don't strive for perfection but rather raw emotion.

From the technical side, live performances in almost every single case are not as good as studio recordings. Even good singers like Beyonce have max 1 or 2 performances in their career that are actually technically better than their studio recordings. Personally preferring them because there is, for example, more emotion in a singer's voice is another thing. I prefer most of Ayumi's live performances over her studio ones, but there have been times when she belonged to the worst pop singers there are and even now she's never perfect, she has NO live performance that is sung better than her studio recordings(except maybe Countdown at AT10, but only because the studio vocals are quite bad for it and she used another vocal style live), she has never had perfect vocals live. You are confusing those two I think.

And thinking Madonna and Britney can't sing live are just a proof of your ignorance. Both have proven they can very well perform live, Madonna even has some very good vocal performances. While Britney isn't a GREAT singer but she can sing most of her own songs live well enough.