Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - [News] ayumi hamasaki LIVE TOUR -TROUBLE- 2018-2019 A (inc. CDL 2018-2019) ~II~
View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2019, 06:14 AM
NEVER EVER Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyPinkGirl View Post
Honestly, I feel people are being way too harsh on her for her vocals. Keep in mind how much she’s touring in general, her age but also her deafness. That right there plays a big part.
Deafness is an excuse for being off-key and all that at times but not for hoarseness and her not having a proper technique.

The thing is, she is not in her 60s/70s and she also doesn't have songs that are incredibly hard and require a lot of high belts. It'd be different if she only/mainly had such songs. Yes, her voice is deeper but one can always lower the key if needed and change some notes. I understand that her high notes are not as easy for her but tbh, who knows if she could sing them now if she was properly rested & taught.

Overall I can definitely watch the CDL 'at ease', vocal-wise. W was definitely not a vocal masterpiece but I enjoyed the performance. That's the case with most songs here. The show itself is amazing imo.

However, fans have also lowered their standards when it comes to her performances. The problem is not really her age though. As I said, I understand that when one is e.g. 65 they can't sing some notes and do it differently and/or use more pre-recorded tracks/lines (which she does already but it's fine).
Her real problem is her schedule and the lack of a permanent vocal coach. There are a lot of singers that perform more shows in in the same time span. Look at how many concerts Celine Dion did in this decade and compare it to ayu. But Celine has even cancelled due to vocal rest, warms up and has a coach. Ayu sounded great during PoM18 but there was a lot of time between dates and honestly, I'd take that over her current schedule any day.

If ayu is not capable of such a schedule (and her singing technique likely doesn't help, although she doesn't shout all the notes during this CDL. Just compare to MIT) then she shouldn't have it. I am not saying she should stop touring, just less dates. But she won't stop anyway and it just feels like her right ear going deaf made her want to perform as much as possible which for us as fans means, quantity instead of quality.

This is way too long.

Aside from that, I enjoyed the CDL! W was great (love the car and the fact that it feels quite tightly choreographed) and I already commented on the re-worked visuals for 1 LOVE. Didn't think I'd say it but the cutesy voice before singing made it feel a bit like the PV with the whole 'selling herself' stuff, so that worked imo.

Last edited by Katsuyuki012; 2nd January 2019 at 06:34 AM.