Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - [News] ayumi hamasaki LIVE TOUR -TROUBLE- 2018-2019 A (inc. CDL 2018-2019) ~II~
View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2019, 09:27 AM
Initiate

Personally, I thought this countdown live was really entertaining to watch despite her vocal problems. Everyone here has made some good points and I just thought I’d add my two cents.

I speak from experience when I say trying to record and perform with ear injuries/problems is no joke and beyond f’ing frustrating. So I definitely have sympathy and I’m willing to overlook things for her, even though I’m a no excuses kind of person when it comes to my own work. But overlooking doesn’t change the fact she went off key and it was hard (and sad) to hear it.

I agree with Chris85 on the point that if you’re charging the prices she does, most people expect not to be cringing at off key notes. But people do expect vocal problems from her and what you’re paying for is the experience, however unpleasant and cringey it is at times. And as long as people keep paying those prices, she’ll continue to charge them, which doesn’t mean she shouldn’t try to fix it, which I think she’s been trying to do. The injury is not really her fault and it seems like she’s been taking steps to try to find a way to work with her limits and be as good as possible (compared to the last two CDLs, she sounded good. All her shows that I attended this past year were good for the most part. She did well all things considered). I’m sure there are some other things she can do to help ease the burden on her clearly overworked vocal chords such as doing less dates on the tour etc. but at the end of the day we don’t really know what steps she’s been taking, maybe she’s trying different things and seeing which is most effective. In any case, she’s a performer, specifically a singer, so everyone is entitled to their opinion and to be as charitable or critical as they wish.

Last edited by AJFmzk; 2nd January 2019 at 10:13 AM.