Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - Ayu is now on Spotify
View Single Post
Old 15th January 2017, 01:55 PM
still alone Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaled kalil View Post
I can't with people who thinks that streaming with end the physical CD market. CDs killed LPs and they are still being released, netflix killed DVD/Blu-ray and they still a thing. Don't worry, they won't end something that they can still make money out of it from collectors and stuff.

I personally don't care for the music streaming business, but I think it's a valid thing for you to know different styles and artists that you would never know otherwise.

As someone said early, I only use spotify when I don't care about the album enough for me to buy/rip my own copy.

This whole thing "stream vs physical copy" is getting like "you're only a real fan if you listen to her musics with the original copy". Blah.
I don't think anyone here is saying that streaming and exploring music online is without huge benefits. I would not even be such a big fan of Jpop if it weren't for things like Youtube and streaming. Digital music has allowed me to discover music that I never would have access too otherwise. Spotify has it's benefits. Physical and digital both have pros and cons.
The point is that at this current moment, yes CDs still exist. But streaming will only increase. In the future, CDs will be gone unless people like me try to keep it alive. Future generations will not even know what a CD is so why would they buy them. It costs money to produce CDs and they will stop making them when they stop selling enough to make a decent profit. Just look at the gaming industry. Some games are not even released physically AT ALL and this is becoming more frequent. A sign of the future.
If you guys think streaming won't kill CDs, that is a bit of denial. There are people that actually would like CDs to go away they hate them so much.
Some people just can't understand this argument because they don't feel the same way as people who prefer physical. Owning the physical copy or building a collection is an emotional thing. Some people love the feeling of owning and holding the physical representation of an artists work. They feel a sense of pride building a large collection of music they love so much. They want to hear their favorite songs in the high quality that they deserve to be heard in. Having something the artist can autograph. Looking at the pictures and artwork. Having the liner notes/lyrics.
Those who prefer streaming only just don't understand these feelings, so they don't understand what people like me are talking about.
Some people just want to hear the song and that is it. I don't feel that way but there isn't anything wrong with that. Sadly these people have a negative effect on those who love the physical releases.
As for the argument of "only true fans by the CD", I think there is some truth to that. If somebody really is a fan, just pressing play on a highly compressed digital file for free, versus buying the album, holding the artists finished product they worked hard on, reading the lyrics, sitting down and listening to it in their room, listening to all the details in the music, admiring the album on the shelf. Those fans just don't see how the album is an integral part of the artist they claim to love so much.
For example, I think someone who only streams an artist's music when they can easily buy the CD/vinyl shows a lack of passion for the artist since they don't even think their album is worth paying money for or owning. But this doesn't mean they don't qualify as a fan.