Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - [News] Covers - Zutto... / Last minute / Walk
View Single Post
Old 6th December 2014, 08:42 PM
July 1st Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Punks View Post
I think a huge part of the problem with the font though is they made it white... on a very light section of the photo... and then used a tacky ass drop shadow to make it legible. Even though the font choice itself is still pretty awful, they could've removed at least half the ugly if they'd made it a nice blue or something and got rid of the shadow.

As is, the text reminds me of those movie posters on Netflix where they didn't have a cover, so they just took a random screenshot and slapped some words on it lol. There was very obviously 0 thought put into the typography, and it sucks because stylistically it clashes so much with the actually really nice photos and distracts from them.

Even a generic serif font like Times New Roman, set to a small size and in black, would've looked so much nicer. And that's just as effortless! I just really don't get her design team's taste at all.

Edit: I just looked at the covers again and realized... It's Helvetica, isn't it? Like srsly? No wonder it looks so cheap.
It's Helvetica italic... even worse
Helvetica, as a font, works better on minimalistic pictures, I think.
Or it can works on a majority of pictures when set as bold (like on the cover of Bold&Delicious).