Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - [News] Tokyo Rainbow Pride 2018 Special Live
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2018, 04:46 PM
walking proud Initiate

^ General translation of what she said. I know parts have been translated by other people:

Lots of people in the audience she is friends with; lots of acquaintances too. Before her debut, at her lowest point, she went to Ni-Chome (tokyo's gay district) for the first time. The bars, people, etc., felt like a home to her. Felt taken care of and cared about by the bar "mothers" (term for the bar owners of that area). So since then, any time she has something to celebrate, she has gone back to ni-chome. Because of those times in Ni-Chome, she is who she is today.

She said she watched the Pride Parade from her car alone and that seeing everyone so happy, she cried.

Then she gets political, and I really appreciate it because it is still such a taboo subject, particularly in Japan and very few people speak up about it. She says along the lines of, of course, Japan is still very, very conservative. Because of that, in many different ways, anyone that is considered a minority in Japan is considered to be in the wrong just because of the fact that they are the minority opinion (sidenote from me: the downside of Japanese collectivism.) That part of Japanese thinking is not something easily wiped away. But just because it's the majority and because of the majority that means it's right; I definitely think that's wrong.

Go Ayu.