Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - The GIFT lyrics
Thread: The GIFT lyrics
View Single Post
Old 19th March 2015, 11:17 PM
appears Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium-Zer0 View Post
But would you have any idea about that reading the lyrics on their own? No. Is there anything that makes the song sound like it's about remarriage specifically as opposed to marriage in general? Not even kinda. Which to be honest makes me see it even more as a missed opportunity lyrically.

The song speaks in terms that are vague, which is nice for general public palatability, sure. These lyrics could apply to ANY marriage that happens after years of struggle or drama - neither my boyfriend nor I have ever been married before, but I can absolutely identify with this song because we each had a ton of drama in our lives before we met each other.

By keeping the song vague and palatable to the general public, she certainly creates something that's sweet and appealing for a large number of people, and tons of people will be able to play it at their weddings, but it lacks that personal "oomph" that her more specific (and more puzzling) songs have. She's going with "pleasant for most people" here rather than "fascinating & amazing for a small number of people." And it's fine, but there's nothing here that really grabs you by the shoulders and shakes you and makes you say "oh WOW" like some of her stronger songs do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke. View Post
Well yeah, I don't think the lyrics are earth-shattering by any means, lol. I do think this song is a bit unnecessary but everything about it from the moment it became an idea had to do with coming at it from an angle in which it would appeal to the masses.
Boring.

It's pretty sad that meaning of Love's lyrics seem more detailed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaristos View Post
Thank you guys for the lyrics and the translation! I'm absolutely in love

Oh, I'm also getting married this year and I'm actually like "Can I play it during my reception?"
No, because it would be promoting the song, and avex doesn't do that, remember?

Can you settle with Kyarypamyupamyu?