Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - [Translation] W (lyrics)
Thread: [Translation] W (lyrics)
View Single Post
Old 5th August 2018, 11:00 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by primavera♥ View Post
Really not seeing the degenerate feminism. I had to laugh a little though.

These lyrics are very reminiscent of Sexy little things. To me, ayu in her lyrics involving women in their relationships or society is good at providing a few different perspectives on what it can be like in reality while sprinkled sometimes with very light social commentary. As opposed to wider, more complex social commentary.

For me in these lyrics, ayu is pretty much using the general not so positive ways some men have engaged with women (in the chorus particularly). It's like the idea that she has toughened herself up and made herself closer to emotionally numb after dealing with toxic relationships unsuccessfully, and now she's choosing to engage in this mindset and these behaviors herself. It's not really any sort of new or innovate concept, but that's how I first took the lyrics.

All in all though, I'm really not sure if that is how she was intending them, so I always like reading other fan perspectives.
Agree. I feel like nowadays when women do something others don't like they derogatorily call it 'feminism' forgetting that's really about striving for equality, but I won't get further into that here. To me the lyrics seem to be suggesting that she wants to view the relationship in a casual way like that will prevent any future possible heartbreak, especially since she uses 'armor.' But there's also not a ton there to form a definite opinion, so it can be interpreted many ways.