Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - [romaji and translation] Days
View Single Post
Old 7th December 2008, 11:08 AM
monochrome Initiate

yeah thanks masa, I think I understand now, just can't find the right expression in english,

"missing" isn't quite right.

so, it's more like, she loves him so much, and gets to spend a lot of time with him, but more as a friend as he doesn't love her back. so she loves being with him, but has this sadness/pain/longing because he doesn't love her back.

It's classic unrequited love....
you want to be with them, but the fact that they don't return your love is a constant source of sadness and pain. But you'd still rather be with them and suffer, than not be with them at all.

I still can't think of a word to capture this kind of feeling....it'd have to be a sentence....:/

EDIT:

Impactbreaker!!!!

I think you've got it. I do know this word, but didn't think of it until you said it! I think it's almost perfect...

BUT, it doesn't go very well into the translation. (FYI, Wistful describes the person who is feeling it, not the situation....you cannot say "this song is wistful"...)

if we used wistfully, wistfully, it might work....but because this word is a bit uncommon, and maybe a little bit flowery and poetic, it sounds a bit strange in the song....

but still, I think it's better than what we have so far.

more links 1

Last edited by jon_the_d; 7th December 2008 at 11:18 AM.