Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - [News] ayumi hamasaki 21st anniversary -POWER of A^3
View Single Post
Old 6th April 2019, 06:56 PM
WHATEVER Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi-Chan View Post
Setlist (slightly corrected)

What made my friend and me feel very uncomfortable was how in the beginning during Duty and later during BRILLANT women in burqa were standing on stage for pure entertainment. Especially when looking at the current situation in Iran, with ISIS etc. and how women in other parts of the world are forced by law under this garment, are raped, stoned, lashed and put in prison for refusing to comply, this was inappropriate.

Other than that, I really enjoyed the concert!
I think associating a woman wearing a veil to Isis is more offensive than the veil. I don't know where you live in the world and what is your context but in Canada and North America, the only big deal with the veil is actually women and the left politics who want to make the veil acceptable in public. I haven`t seen the show but I highly doubt the number had anything to do with a political or religious statement or a hateful intention. I see women with the burka or covering their hair almost every day. It shouldn`t be more offensive than seeing a cross. Many people tend to be offended in order to support a group of people they believe should be offended without knowing it. It reminds me of the debate last year on AHS where people were saying that ayu being on a cross or using the last supper concept for a song should be offensive for Christians. I am a Christian and I have never been offended to see a cross in one of her show.

Unless we hear that people in the audience were personally hurt by the imagery(which I HIGHLY doubt), I don't think it is worth being offended. I get your point, it is true in certain extremist Islamic countries, women rights are undeveloped, but we shouldn't associate every Muslim symbol to the most radical movements of the religion. Did you know that there are Islamic feminist movements? And even though you mentioned Iraq first (Or Iran but Isis is from Iraq), the largest Muslim country is actually an Asian country (Indonesia).

Please do not see this message as an attack, but I think if we want to live in a world who accepts differences we have to stop being offended every time we see a cultural symbol.

EDIT : your pictures are fantastic