Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - [News] CDTV reveals cover for 'M(A)DE IN JAPAN'
View Single Post
Old 5th June 2016, 07:43 AM
still alone Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Punks View Post
The cover is so... Baby's First Art Concept. Not an interesting photo at all (personally), and adding a rope doesn't really make it super conceptual or all that intriguing. It's nice that it isn't totally a glamor shot, but the only thing that really separates this from A ONE is that she looks a little angsty and she's bound in rope. If you take the rope out, it's just another magazine outtake.

Her covers have never really been great, but I just find this one very... flavorless and without identity. I definitely won't remember it down the road, as with A ONE.
I identify with these sentiments very much so. It's a wonderful cover but I have to admit that when I first saw it my heart sunk a little cause I just feel like it's a glam shot trying to be something else. Like the rope doesn't even look constricting and her top looks similar to the one on A ONE.

But minor details aside, looking at the positives, it's very true that there is a totally different vibe going on here compared to her previous album covers. Her her facial expression, the look in her eyes...probably her most powerful. Even the way she's centered on the cover in this way, it's epic. And there's a lot to be said about the rope and disheveled hair. Although I can totally see why one would call it lazy, at least there's a message.

Overall, although I'm so accustomed to sticking to the negatives, I'm trying to enjoy the positives since I feel like this is definitely a different direction for ayu compared to what we've gotten for a long, long while.