New single 'Dreamed a Dream' by Tetsuya Komuro out July 31st, 2020 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·


Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 1st August 2020, 02:21 PM
Kacku's Avatar
Kacku Kacku is offline
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryusei View Post
idk if I'm the only one but while I would like the song I feel like it's very flat, everything sounds so stacked and same volume that it just kinda blends into noise? I had the same issue with the TROUBLE EP but not with Ohia No Ki since that one's production is way less busy. Like for the first verse I was totally on board and then the chorus kicked in and I was just like a bit turned off :/
I agree completely, "flat" and "stacked" feel like perfect descriptions for how the song sounds (especially the chorus, it's not as much of an issue in the less busy verses). It's annoying that this is a persistent issue, I really hoped it would get better after TROUBLE. I just re-listened to MADE IN JAPAN yesterday and I really feel like it didn't have this issue (at least to the same extent, and maybe that's just because the songs weren't so busy)...

I'm not fully in love with Dreamed a Dream, but it has many great things going for it: the synth riff is mad catchy (I've had it stuck in my head and found myself tapping it over the past few days), the melody is pretty great, and Ayu sounds great, she's got attitude for DAYS. I'm really happy to hear her sounding so good even though her hearing is getting worse, I'm glad she's finding ways to make it work. I wish the production didn't sound so cheap (I don't like how the percussion and the high-pitched synth strings sound) but I also feel like the slight dated feeling might be intentional (it is a TK joint after all, and the lyrics talk about the past quite a bit). I'm torn on how I feel about the ending... the slowed-down final stanza is such a cliché for Ayu at this point... but on the other hand, this might be one of those instances where it really fits the song.
  #2  
Old 3rd August 2020, 07:46 AM
SunshineSlayer's Avatar
SunshineSlayer SunshineSlayer is offline
walking proud Initiate
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Japan/USA
Posts: 7,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacku View Post
I agree completely, "flat" and "stacked" feel like perfect descriptions for how the song sounds (especially the chorus, it's not as much of an issue in the less busy verses). It's annoying that this is a persistent issue, I really hoped it would get better after TROUBLE. I just re-listened to MADE IN JAPAN yesterday and I really feel like it didn't have this issue (at least to the same extent, and maybe that's just because the songs weren't so busy)...

I'm not fully in love with Dreamed a Dream, but it has many great things going for it: the synth riff is mad catchy (I've had it stuck in my head and found myself tapping it over the past few days), the melody is pretty great, and Ayu sounds great, she's got attitude for DAYS. I'm really happy to hear her sounding so good even though her hearing is getting worse, I'm glad she's finding ways to make it work. I wish the production didn't sound so cheap (I don't like how the percussion and the high-pitched synth strings sound) but I also feel like the slight dated feeling might be intentional (it is a TK joint after all, and the lyrics talk about the past quite a bit). I'm torn on how I feel about the ending... the slowed-down final stanza is such a cliché for Ayu at this point... but on the other hand, this might be one of those instances where it really fits the song.
I agree. While I'm happy she finally released something that isn't super safe sounding, it has the same issue as many of her releases for years now - the mixing is super flat. There is just a problem with her mixing, period. How this hasn't been addressed yet is insane to me.

Last edited by SunshineSlayer; 3rd August 2020 at 07:48 AM.
  #3  
Old 4th August 2020, 10:41 AM
Kacku's Avatar
Kacku Kacku is offline
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSlayer View Post
I agree. While I'm happy she finally released something that isn't super safe sounding, it has the same issue as many of her releases for years now - the mixing is super flat. There is just a problem with her mixing, period. How this hasn't been addressed yet is insane to me.
This. It's bizarre how long it's continued.
  #4  
Old 5th August 2020, 07:21 PM
SunshineSlayer's Avatar
SunshineSlayer SunshineSlayer is offline
walking proud Initiate
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Japan/USA
Posts: 7,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacku View Post
This. It's bizarre how long it's continued.
It makes me wonder if Ayu is having final say and just literally cannot hear the issues with the mixes very well. If that’s the case she really needs someone she trusts to make that decision.
  #5  
Old 5th August 2020, 08:23 PM
jbrat2219's Avatar
jbrat2219 jbrat2219 is offline
JEWEL Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 10,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSlayer View Post
It makes me wonder if Ayu is having final say and just literally cannot hear the issues with the mixes very well. If that’s the case she really needs someone she trusts to make that decision.
I've never thought of it like that but that makes sense. Although I really like the song, I noticed it sounds a bit loud and I couldn't put my finger on why (knows nothing about the technical side of music) but now that everyone has pointed out the mixing, I can definitely hear it.
  #6  
Old 5th August 2020, 09:43 PM
mizuki-7's Avatar
mizuki-7 mizuki-7 is offline
ayu trance Initiate
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: France, Lorraine
Posts: 2,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSlayer View Post
It makes me wonder if Ayu is having final say and just literally cannot hear the issues with the mixes very well. If that’s the case she really needs someone she trusts to make that decision.
Even if she is the boss still there are a lot of people involved and more knowledgeable than her about these kind of technical issue so I don’t know what to think about it ? are they lazy ? when Koji morimoto was responsible of the mixing we didn't have these kind of concern.
I don’t particularly have an issue with this song but it’s seems that mixing issues is a redondant things since some times.
__________________

My Website Twitter Last.Fm
Closed Thread

Tags
dreamed a dream, kazuyoshi shimomura, tetsuya komuro

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.