[News] Ayu paying tribute to Utada Hikaru - Page 9 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12th November 2014, 12:22 AM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coelacanth View Post
The entire thing reeks of a PR gimmick. They were considered "rivals" at one point and this is the one thing that would build hype for a tribute album that would have otherwise had a boring lineup of performers.

I hope Ayu knows what she's doing and doesn't make a fool out of herself. The part in the Sanspo article about her changing her vocal style concerns me. Part of Ayu's appeal is that she DOESN'T follow Western conventions of vocal stylings/technique.
Of course this is a PR gimmick, for both of them, or do you really think Ayu is taking part on it and being the focal promotional tool for it just because she was bored at home? Hikki is probably coming back and need some hype before the new material, and Ayu needs musical relevant buzz. They both are exploiting the rival thing to gain some spotlight.

And Ayu using a different vocal aproach doesn't mean "western vocals" nor does it mean it's something her fandom never heard before... Between studio recordings, live performances and the covers she performed before, Ayu has several different ways of using her voice.

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 12th November 2014, 12:25 AM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke. View Post
I wouldn't say Hikki "isn't good at all" ; it's called a "technique." Ayu has a technique as well, and has always been said as to 'not have the best vocals' but her style is distinct. That's what makes a good musician - you don't have to be a powerhouse belter, you just need to have something distinct about you - something that sets you apart and makes you recognizable. Hikki has that airy, soft, and breathiness about her which can lend itself really well toward the music she releases. I enjoy her technique (not so much in English, that stuff can get rather horrid) for the most part. In Sakura Nagashi, she does this faint and suttle "stuttering vibrato" when she holds the notes that just makes me melt.

Regarding the PR move, I don't necessarily view that as bad. They saw an opportunity and went for it.
Hikki is my favorite pop musician of all time, but I'm with Chibi-chan on this one... She can't sing to save her life out of the studio. Ayumi is no Celine Dion either, but she has a far more solid singing technique than Hikki does.

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 12th November 2014, 12:27 AM
Heartplace Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi-Chan View Post
I wasn't talking about Hikki's style of singing. I never thought there is something wrong with that. But when singing live most of the time Hikki even isn't able to hit the right notes. She just isn't a good vocalist. It's not that I'm bothered by it that much. I just can't stand her fans claiming she has the best vocals ever, that's not true at all. She not even comes close to being a good vocalist. I have nothing against Hikki, but I truly hate most of her fans... xD
I hate her timbre/tone (like, it literally grosses me out, and I'm not sure why) but personal bias aside, I think her biggest problem with singing is she writes songs just out of range or right at the top of her range. It really doesn't sound pleasant when she's struggling for "high" notes that aren't really that high. I'm not a singing expert, but she sounds like she has breath control issues too maybe? Plus she has goat vibrato lol.

I feel like there are so few technically good singers in jpop though, the only thing really separating her from Ayumi and the like is personal preference.
Old 12th November 2014, 12:46 AM
ayu trance Initiate

I'm not a Hikki fan though I'm not opposed to listening to her discography. From the beginning, I've had issues with the way she sings. It's a bit too light and soft for my taste. I prefer singers with more weight and power in their vocals. However I am always intrigued when singers cover each other's work. I am definitely excited to see which song Ayu will sing.

Book collector, avid reader, writer, cat owner, part time owl who listens to JPOP, KPOP, metal, soundtracks, and instrumental music.

Old 12th November 2014, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Punks View Post
I hate her timbre/tone (like, it literally grosses me out, and I'm not sure why) but personal bias aside, I think her biggest problem with singing is she writes songs just out of range or right at the top of her range. It really doesn't sound pleasant when she's struggling for "high" notes that aren't really that high. I'm not a singing expert, but she sounds like she has breath control issues too maybe? Plus she has goat vibrato lol.

I feel like there are so few technically good singers in jpop though, the only thing really separating her from Ayumi and the like is personal preference.
I think that's the point. A lot of her songs are out of her range. And I get what you're saying about her timbre/tone. It's strange with Hikki for me... sometimes I think her timbre/tone is so beautiful and then there are songs which I just can't stand because of her timbre/tone...
Old 12th November 2014, 01:35 AM
rainy day Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrenekoi View Post
Hikki is my favorite pop musician of all time, but I'm with Chibi-chan on this one... She can't sing to save her life out of the studio. Ayumi is no Celine Dion either, but she has a far more solid singing technique than Hikki does.
As stated,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke. View Post
Well I won't deny that. I was never a fan of her lives. I downloaded utada United once and got bored even before I was halfway through.
I could give two shits about Hikki's live vocals anyway. She rarely performs live. She's not a performer, she's an artist. Ayu is a jack-of-all-trades. Hikki certainly is not.
Old 12th November 2014, 03:36 AM
1 LOVE Initiate

not really excited about this piece of news as it's more about Hikki and not really about ayu. but still yay! lol
Old 12th November 2014, 05:46 AM
And Then Initiate

Hope she sings Hikari.
Old 12th November 2014, 07:03 AM
POWDER SNOW Initiate

I bet she sings Movin' on Without you.

"No dar en el blanco, sino volverse uno con el blanco"
Old 12th November 2014, 07:14 AM
ayu trance Initiate

I would only be happy if it was one of these, COLORS, traveling, Dareka no Negai ga Kanau Koro, Final Distance, 光, Passion, Prisoner of Love, SAKURA Drops or 桜流し.
I wonder if its going to be just a copy cover or will the artists add their own flare to the songs

Old 12th November 2014, 12:34 PM
Depend on you Initiate

Those who mention songs other than First Love, FINAL DISTANCE and Prisoner of Love DO realize that it was said that it was from a RECUT single, don't you?
===========================================
As for Hikki, I love many of her songs, I reckon the weakest point of her songs is her lyrics. And I also think that she was overrated because A) she has musician parents and B) she was raised in the States.

Last edited by lightningrod; 12th November 2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12th November 2014, 01:54 PM
opening Run Initiate

I became Ayu and Utada fan simultaneously about 11 years ago, so it's such a pleasant surprise for me.
Utada can't be overrated since her music has always been one of the best Japan has to offer and audience reception proves it. Yes, she sucks at singing live, she has terrible sense of fashion, her concerts are boring, but her music is of highest quality.
Despite I think First love is a really nice ballad, I'm sick of it, so I hope it's not the one Ayu chose.
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2012-2013 ~WAKE UP~ (29.12, 30.12, 31.12)
15th Anniversary TOUR ~A BEST LIVE~ (11.05, 12.05 (Yokohama), 15.05, 16.05 (Osaka)
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2013-2014 A (29.12, 30.12, 31.12)
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2014-2015 A, Cirque de Minuit (29.12, 30.12, 31.12)
ARENA TOUR 2015 Cirque de Minuit ~真夜中のサーカス~(11.04, 12.04 Saitama)
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2015-2016 A ~MADE IN TOKYO~ (29.12, 30.12, 31.12)
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2016-2017 A『Just the beginning -20-』(29.12, 30.12)
Old 12th November 2014, 03:36 PM
Greatful days Initiate

For all you people saying Hikki sucks live.... Lol.
Girl has had her share of bad perfroamnces but she does NOT suck live. Her Hikaru no 5 and UTADA UNITED concerts (except for Be My Last) are awesome! UU has one of the coolest stages I've ever seen and the visuals were fantastic too.

I've been to many concerts over the years and her Devil Inside-Kremlin Dusk-YMMWTBAM performance at her In The Flesh tour was the best 15 minutes of all my concert experiences.
Old 12th November 2014, 05:06 PM
Rock'n'Roll Circus Initiate

Did someone use google translate and get recut...? I didn't see the text myself. But I think it's possible that the meaning is just "a single" she released that ended up being on an album.

教えてよねぇあなたならこの時代をどう生きる
Ayu Concerts I've Attended:
Arena Tour 2013: A BEST LIVE
Arena Tour 2015: Cirque de Minuit
Arena Tour 2016: MADE IN JAPAN

You can find me on the gram: https://www.instagram.com/b_utifulfighter/
Old 12th November 2014, 05:09 PM
Paper Doll Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorphose View Post
For all you people saying Hikki sucks live.... Lol.
Girl has had her share of bad perfroamnces but she does NOT suck live. Her Hikaru no 5 and UTADA UNITED concerts (except for Be My Last) are awesome! UU has one of the coolest stages I've ever seen and the visuals were fantastic too.

I've been to many concerts over the years and her Devil Inside-Kremlin Dusk-YMMWTBAM performance at her In The Flesh tour was the best 15 minutes of all my concert experiences.
I've always loved her live performances. I do think she has some that aren't superb but she has plenty that are just great!

I like that there's nothing cookie-cutter about her. She is very unique and interesting. I think that's one of the reasons I feel she deserves a lot of respect as an artist.

As excited as I am that Ayu will be in on this, I realized that I am either just as if not more excited that Shiina Ringo is going to be adding in on the tribute album, but since Utada and Shiina Ringo have done music together, it's not too much of a surprise! ^_^ I would love it if Shiina Ringo added her own flare to whatever song she does. I would love for her to do Kiss & Cry but add her really jazzy, classy sound to it.

Last edited by DonkeyKongRemix; 12th November 2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12th November 2014, 05:11 PM
Rock'n'Roll Circus Initiate

it's also a matter of opinion, utada stan...
I'm not hating because I love hikki, but I do always get bored watching her concerts...

教えてよねぇあなたならこの時代をどう生きる
Ayu Concerts I've Attended:
Arena Tour 2013: A BEST LIVE
Arena Tour 2015: Cirque de Minuit
Arena Tour 2016: MADE IN JAPAN

You can find me on the gram: https://www.instagram.com/b_utifulfighter/

Last edited by Pieces_of_SEVEN; 12th November 2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12th November 2014, 05:13 PM
appears Initiate

^^I like that every time she makes a ballad version of a song (Flavor of life (Ballad Version), Prisoner of love (Quiet Version), Passion ~after the battle~, Final Distance, etc.) she re-records the vocals to the song and doesn't just slap a vocal track on to an orchestra instrumental.

UU06 was my favorite concert by her. It's too bad that half the time it sounds like she has a stuffy nose.
Old 12th November 2014, 05:23 PM
Paper Doll Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeakira View Post
^^I like that every time she makes a ballad version of a song (Flavor of life (Ballad Version), Prisoner of love (Quiet Version), Passion ~after the battle~, Final Distance, etc.) she re-records the vocals to the song and doesn't just slap a vocal track on to an orchestra instrumental.

UU06 was my favorite concert by her. It's too bad that half the time it sounds like she has a stuffy nose.
That reminds me...Was it just a rumor or was it true that she was allergic to the wood used on the stage?
Old 12th November 2014, 05:23 PM
Memorial address (take 2 version) Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieces_of_SEVEN View Post
Did someone use google translate and get recut...? I didn't see the text myself. But I think it's possible that the meaning is just "a single" she released that ended up being on an album.
That's always a possibility, I suppose. The literal Japanese text used in the Sponichi article was シングルカットされた代表曲.

From the Japanese wiki for the term シングルカット:

Quote:
「シングルカットされた曲」とされるが、実際にはリカットと同じように、先にアルバムに収録された楽曲を後 からシングルとして販売する際に使われることが多い。
Basically, the term is often used for songs that previously appeared on an album and were then later released as a single and can be interchangeably used with the term 'recut single'.

I wish they would just give us the damn tracklist already, lol.
Old 12th November 2014, 05:30 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

I love Hikki, not as much as Ayu but she's comes close. Actually I discovered jpop thanks to these two wonderful ladies. So I'm super happy even if the news it's more about Hikki than Ayu.

To be honest, the only thing I really dislike it's how much she's praised. You can't really say anything bad about her without making her fanbase going crazy. Except for Boku wa kuma, even her stans don't like that... whatever song it is.
I think it's the opposite of AHS fanbase lol.

Closed Thread