Kalen Anzai cast as Ayu in the drama adaptation of "M 愛すべき人がいて" - Page 7 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Celebrity News

Notices

Old 26th March 2020, 04:55 PM

I expected this to be bad, but it's even worse than I thought it would be.
Maybe this dorama will boost some youtube views and even make a few more people buy A BEST, but I doubt that it will lead to people being interested in Hamasaki Ayumi the artist.
Old 26th March 2020, 06:11 PM
Far away Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280301 View Post
Yeah it looks pretty cheesy (and not that great), but I'm disappointed that the Ayu character is clearly not the protagonist, the Max character is??? Ugh, now I'm worried that Ayu's portrayal (particularly in regards to her career and her hard work) is going to be diluted and heavily dependent upon her relationship with Max (I mean, it's clear it was always going to be a romance, but...still, they're literally making specific homages to Ayu's music videos, and I hope that her character has some substance beyond being Max's love interest). Max's actor is clearly superior at acting, so maybe that's why the Max character seems more complex so far, but really the Ayu character just feels like an after-thought addition?

Also, from this trailer, Kalen does not look like, or even -embody- Ayu's mannerisms at all. They really should have gone with an actress.
Totally! Kalen doesn’t seem to exude any Ayu vibes. Max seem to be in so much power in the drama. As if he was the lead role.
Old 26th March 2020, 11:33 PM
Interlude Initiate

I don't watch doramas and I know they are supposed to be cheesy... yet I still expected more production value (and a lot less cringe, hot damn!!) when it comes to the origin story of the empress of jpop.

this doesn't seem to be a good idea at all, and not at all helping her reputation... but ignore my opinion please; I am obviously not the target audience for this. I'm curious how the japanese audience will respond to this :3
Old 27th March 2020, 09:42 AM
POWDER SNOW Initiate

Am I the only one who's going to be sad for Kalen? I mean she's already being compared to a great deal to Ayu even before, she doesn't have a big hit yet as a singer...

For someone like Ayu, this drama can be all about Max and it can portray her in a negative light, but she's already established and nothing can take away that from her. But someone new like Kalen, like, it's gonna be sad if she's always going to be viewed as "the girl that's like Ayu"

praying for your souls

Old 27th March 2020, 02:10 PM
Endless sorrow Initiate

^ That's a good point.
Old 28th March 2020, 07:59 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikku1994 View Post
Am I the only one who's going to be sad for Kalen? I mean she's already being compared to a great deal to Ayu even before, she doesn't have a big hit yet as a singer...

For someone like Ayu, this drama can be all about Max and it can portray her in a negative light, but she's already established and nothing can take away that from her. But someone new like Kalen, like, it's gonna be sad if she's always going to be viewed as "the girl that's like Ayu"
I think they're going into her 'career' atm full on with that. I mean, she's working with BOUNCEBACK, Tetsuya Yukumi, and Kazuhito Kikuchi for her songs too. They're purposefully going for Ayu-esque with visuals and frequent Ayu collaborators. I am sure she knows what they're trying to do and whatever happens is probably fine with her.
Old 8th April 2020, 04:23 AM
I am... Initiate

I think Kalen songs are great. She has a nice voice and write nice meaningful lyrics. Drama seems cheesy but which one is not in Japan.
I kinda hope she would even record some Ayu covers for the drama.

set by pepper

Old 8th April 2020, 09:17 PM
WHATEVER Initiate

4/18 start! Can't wait!

~AYUFAN SINCE 2001~

COUNTDOWN LIVE 2009-2010 A ~Future Classics~ (31.12)
ARENA TOUR 2016 A ~M(A)DE IN JAPAN~ (8/9/10.7)
Old 8th April 2020, 11:17 PM
SEASONS Initiate

The quarantine might give it nice ratings.
Old 9th April 2020, 08:21 PM
BLUE BIRD Protector

I mean, YES, it's cheesy AF, but a lot of dramas ARE soooo. I'm really looking forward to it! Go in with certain expectations so you're not disappointed and it might just be enjoyable as guilty pleasure entertainment, you know?

did you imagine this kind of future?

@luckynekolady instagram

Old 11th April 2020, 03:49 AM
Two of us Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikku1994 View Post

You're not the only one to mention this. Looking at her YouTube videos, there's a lot of comments in Japanese saying she should be herself, that Avez is trying to make her into a mini-Ayu, which is never going to happen.

I don't think what Avex is doing with her is bad in some ways--the futuristic videos, the product placement and tie-ins--the "mystery" of whether she was real or not was cool too. But even if she's okay with being "the new Ayu," it's never going to happen. I hope there's room for her to make her own career.
Old 11th April 2020, 07:12 AM
NEVER EVER Initiate

Maybe Kalen career develops in another direction eventually, her music is nice nothing spectacular, PVs are really amazing. But for now lets see how this dorama will be.
Old 11th April 2020, 08:36 PM
UNITE! Initiate

I just saw the episode one trailer that was uploaded to the drama's 5Twitter (it's on YouTube as well, just not available in the US)...

I'm genuinely curious who this eyepatch-wearing chick is, she gives off antagonist vibes, lol. It looks halfway decent, I'm excited for its premiere this month!

♥ Ayu fan since September 2006 ♥

Ayu Concerts I've Attended:
ASIA TOUR 2008 - June 29, 2008
ARENA TOUR 2009 - June 20, 2009 | June 21, 2009
ARENA TOUR 2012 - April 7, 2012 | April 8, 2012

Old 12th April 2020, 07:40 AM
Paper Doll Protector

Ahhhh!!! I can't wait to watch this series!!

<3 <3 <3
Old 13th April 2020, 05:18 AM
Because of You Initiate

Um... the acting is not great.......
But i'd still watch this.
And i'm gonna repeat it again, they did a HUGE favour to Max with casting that actor

Also i have to say, considering they are building this on a NOVEL not an actual FACTUAL BIOGRAPHY, i wouldn't expect it to be very good. As for that singer chick, mmm, i dunno, i mean you won't ever be able to get what they did with Ayu. The music scene is not the same. IT might play to someone's nostalgia, but i don't think she's gonna get as big as Ayu did. It's just a different time and place, and at best she's just gonna get "oh it's that girl who played Ayu/is very Ayu-like". Honestly i don't even know why they would go for that, cuz being compared to someone in the science is never a good thing. Especially when you're considered somewhat of a copy. Copies aren't as valued as originals *shrug* And i agree with people who say they don't see her channeling Ayu in the role. Usually when people portray REAL, LIVING, LEGENDS, they spend a lot of time getting everything about the manners right, even spending time together before they start filming. I'm not feeling that from her, they totally should have gone for an actual professional actress instead. But i mean she can prove us all wrong, cuz honestly, she doesn't get a lot to show off in the trailer. It's very Max focused.

EDIT:
Not sure if this was posted but here's another trailer, with more looks on Kalen, as Ayu in her career.
https://www.facebook.com/AyuTrollada...8421351771689/

Last edited by BlackSilence; 13th April 2020 at 06:53 PM.
Old 18th April 2020, 02:01 PM
ayu trance Initiate

The first episode will air in 3 hours! Can't wait!

Also, don't know if anyone saw this but Abema TV posted a picture of Karen in front of the poster cover of A Song for xx reenacted by herlsef. It was so cute and similar as the original!

ARENA TOUR 2015 A Cirque de Minuit ~Mayonaka no Circus~ @ Saitama Super Arena 2015.04.11/12
ARENA TOUR 2018 ~POWER of MUSIC 20th Anniversary~ @ Saitama Super Arena 2018.04.07
Tokyo Rainbow Pride @ Yoyogi Park 2018.05.06
a-nation' 2018 @ Ajinomoto Stadium 2018.08.26
LIVE TOUR -TROUBLE- 2018-2019 A @ Nakano Sunplaza 2019.02.06
ayumi hamasaki 21st anniversary -POWER of A^3- @ Saitama Super Arena 2019.04.07
Old 18th April 2020, 02:02 PM
Born To Be... Initiate

Where did you see that? Do you have the source?

Really can't wait to watch it. I'm so curious

Old 18th April 2020, 02:05 PM
Far away Initiate

Anyone knows how is it possible to stream it out of japan?
Old 18th April 2020, 03:04 PM
ayu trance Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by xLuna&1LOVE View Post
Where did you see that? Do you have the source?

Really can't wait to watch it. I'm so curious
Karen reposted on her Instagram Stories earlier this week but I can't find the picture anywhere tho...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayu_fantasy View Post
Anyone knows how is it possible to stream it out of japan?
If you have a VPN software, you can watch it. It will be streamed here https://abema.tv/video/title/87-304

ARENA TOUR 2015 A Cirque de Minuit ~Mayonaka no Circus~ @ Saitama Super Arena 2015.04.11/12
ARENA TOUR 2018 ~POWER of MUSIC 20th Anniversary~ @ Saitama Super Arena 2018.04.07
Tokyo Rainbow Pride @ Yoyogi Park 2018.05.06
a-nation' 2018 @ Ajinomoto Stadium 2018.08.26
LIVE TOUR -TROUBLE- 2018-2019 A @ Nakano Sunplaza 2019.02.06
ayumi hamasaki 21st anniversary -POWER of A^3- @ Saitama Super Arena 2019.04.07
Old 18th April 2020, 05:09 PM
Far away Initiate

Oh thanks!!!!! The drama is 45mins Long. The guy who plays max is cool! I didn’t quite like ayu’s Character though

Tags
kalen anzai, m 愛すべき人がいて