[Translation] [Interview] Girlpop Vol.41 December 1999 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Enquiries > Ayu Library > Articles

Notices

Old 14th June 2015, 07:34 AM
everlasting dream Initiate

[Interview] Girlpop Vol.41 December 1999

This is one of her older interviews. She talks about Loveppears and some of the frustrations she felt after her sudden popularity.

(read on tumblr)

-----

Ayumi Hamasaki received new recognition as an artist with the release of her maxi-single A, but disappeared from our screens - aside from commercials - for a while afterwards. Just as we started wondering about her situation, she suddenly announced her new maxi-single appears and her much-anticipated 2nd album Loveppears.

Q: Frequently appearing in commercials after releasing Boys & Girls, you started drawing attention rapidly. How did you react to the attention?

“I already had a feeling more people would start noticing me while making Boys & Girls. I felt people’s expectations. In hindsight I actually made it through those days without trouble. I knew I couldn’t say anything regarding my music if someone asked me, so I decided “If someone asks me this, I’ll answer this” and I did. It scared me how this person called Ayumi Hamasaki started gaining force and I wondered what I should do (1). I was like a swan in a current: looking calm above the water surface, but paddling desperately underwater. But it’s a positive song, right? I wondered “What am I smiling about?” while singing it (laughs).”

Q: You gained recognition as an artist with the release of your single A. How did you feel about this?

“I tried not to feel anything. I didn’t watch a single music show and I quickly changed the channel if they showed single rankings. I asked my staff how many copies the single had sold after finishing my new album. The number of sold copies really surprised me.”

I disliked how people started looking at Ayumi Hamasaki differently even though I hadn’t changed.

Q: Did you sense that recognition manifested in sales figures is fleeting?

“I disliked how people started looking at Ayumi Hamasaki differently even though I hadn’t changed. Things like “Huh? Everybody is suddenly being nice to me, huh.” I didn’t want that. Besides, I didn’t feel like I had suddenly released something amazing. I have been giving my best from the start. I didn’t want to be someone who looks at sales figures and releases based on what people like. I wanted to be someone who works hard for Ayumi Hamasaki in the background (1). Even if nobody likes my music, I will continue the same way silently.”

Q: But there were surely many people who became your fan after hearing A.

“That genuinely made me happy, of course. Actually, several fans sent me messages saying “I feel like Ayu is going away! Don’t!” after listening to too late (2). I thought “Hmm, you’re sharp” to myself.”

Q: Do you mean you truly intended to leave?

“Somewhat. I came back in the end, but if a single day in the time between A and my new album had been different, I might not be here now.”

Q: Now you mention it, you said you wanted some time to think after releasing A, right?

“I did. To be honest, I didn’t feel like coming back at that time. But it’s not like I could say such a thing. However, I still wanted to let everyone know how I felt. I tried to sent a message through too late.”

Q: Maybe it was like a farewell letter. Did you get time to think in the end?

“I didn’t touch any music for one month. But I didn’t think about the future either. I get sick of things easily (laughs). I was interested in how I would feel if I didn’t do anything related to music.”

Q: I’m happy you came back. The covers of Boys & Girls, TO BE and A are connected with a thread wrapped around your fingers. Does this hold any special meaning?

“I started realizing various things while making TO BE and I felt like those things would link up to my next album. I wanted to express this through my covers.”

Q: What things did you realize?

“Various things about working behind the scenes. Actually, LOVE~Destiny~ helped me realize those things. After finishing the song, I was surprised just how different my voice sounded. I worked on that song in a different environment than my previous singles. That’s why I worried too much about certain things, but I also started paying attention to little details like “the piano is too loud” or “I can’t hear the strings properly”. I hadn’t really participated in the track-down process before. I didn’t know what things can change in that process. I started being present in the track-down process ever since TO BE due to my previous bitter experience with LOVE~Destiny~. I rejected the harmonization countless times and asked for changes in the guitar tone color and more. I started participating so much that people probably wanted me to leave (laughs).”

Q: You’re the one who gives the final say, after all.

“Indeed. Together with my producer. I think I should do at least this much in order to create songs I’m satisfied with.”

Q: When did start planning your second album?

“I started on A with the intention of making a new album.”

Q: Did you have any solid ideas about the album?

“I wanted to make an album that begins like “ah! it’s already begun” (laughs). One that makes you think “Huh? The third song? I have go to the first” as you listen. I gave myself the puzzle of making things pick up further steam when they’re already high.”

Q: It really turned out that way.

“I didn’t want to create songs with a heartrending melody and heartrending lyrics like my first album. I wanted to release an heartrending album with intense songs. That’s why I didn’t choose a ballad-y songs.”

Q: Did you want to make it strong?

“I think there’s only a paper thin difference between between really strong and really weak. I wanted to display that type of strength.”

Q: What did your recording schedule look like?

“First I went to Hawaii to focus on writing lyrics. Then I went to Japan to sing the songs. I also stayed in New York for another job and I flew to Los Angeles for the track-down process.”

Q: You hired engineer Dave Way to remix all the songs for the album, right?

“Dave Way-san mixed the songs in such a way to give depth to my voice because my voice is shrill. As if my voice was wearing Western clothing. I asked him to redo everything. My staff were like “Gaaah!” (laughs). There are people who dislike shrill voices but it’s part of me. I was scared it couldn’t be redone in time because of the deadline, but I’m glad I said it anyway.”

Now I know that people who have something to protect are stronger than those who have nothing to lose

Q: Are there any songs you wrote differently, lyrics-wise?

“Firstly, appears. I wanted to write lyrics which look simple on the outside but are actually hiding depth on the inside. Just like how detailed makeup can look really natural. I wrote the lyrics first and then searched for a matching song. I usually work the other way around. Moreover, I miraculously managed to write And Then and immature on the same day (laughs). The me who calmly evaluates herself as an imperfect human being, and the me who tries to become perfect. I think these songs show two different sides of me.”

Q: Why did you include LOVE~Refrain~ instead of LOVE~Destiny~?

“That’s the original version. It was rejected in the past (laughs).”

Q: So, revenge?

“My staff said the same thing (laughs). But it’s not like I didn’t want to include Love~Destiny~. Of course I was upset at the time, but I was able to view it as one of my songs as time passed. I wanted to show the original version of the song so many people love. I also made a version with KETSUMEISHI-san which is included on the single Boys & Girls. There are three versions and that’s it.”

Q: The album cover is also surpising.

“That was my idea. We were discussing what I should wear this time and I thought about simply wearing nothing. There’s no intention behind it. It’s simply me as a product. I simply felt it would be cute.”

Q: What did you feel after finishing your 2nd album?

“I frequently thought things like “why do I have to do this much?” and “please give me more time.” But on the other side, I work very hard to the point you might wonder why. I think it’s because the people around me have to power to push me forward. People who reach out to me, people who are kind to me - they all give their love to me in their own way. I felt I have to protect them. During A Song for XX, I thought I was strong because no matter what I would try to gain in the future, I had nothing to lose. But now I know that people who have something to protect are stronger than those who have nothing to lose. Maybe my second album contains such thoughts and feelings.”

----

Translator notes:

1: She refers to herself as Ayu as if to differentiate between herself and Ayumi Hamasaki.
2: Masa has translated too late’s lyrics here.

Translation by me. Scans thanks to Taki @dearestayu.blogspot.nl
Old 14th June 2015, 07:52 AM
ayu-mi-x II Initiate

Thank you so much for this. I became a fan of ayu in early 2006 and sometimes wish I could go back in time to see her from the beginning. Watch her grow as an artist and human being. Since I can't do that reading and watching older interviews is as close as I can get. I wish we could get translations for all her interviews thru the years from the very beginning so I could read them all, but that's not realistic is it? Anyway big thanks for this again! So great!

Set made by Mary-Tina. Thank you!
Old 14th June 2015, 08:39 AM
Dolls Initiate

Thank you for this beautiful gift. This made me put LOVEppears on play. It.s the first time I find that LOVE refrain is the original piece, and not otherwise which is very interesting.
Old 14th June 2015, 09:09 AM
July 1st Initiate

This just shows how wonderful her thought process is. I have the feeling that she hasn't changed that much today. God I love her.

Thank you, tenshi no hane.
Old 14th June 2015, 10:17 AM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

Thank you very much for this, your work is really appreciated c:
Now i have to go and listen to A

arena tour 2016 ~M(A)DE IN JAPAN~ @ Yoyogi : 08/07 & 09/07
arena tour 2018 ~POWER of MUSIC 20th anniversary~ @ Osaka-jô hall : 21/07 & 22/07
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2023-2024 A ~A COMPLETE 25~ @ Yoyogi : 30/12 & 31/12

浜崎あゆみ ~since 2009~
tumblr ; last.fm

Old 14th June 2015, 10:19 AM
Far away Initiate

Thank you, tenshi no hane.

These translations help Ayu's new fans like me to know her better in her past times.

Hey, the reason of this smile and the meaning of this word can't be understood
Because I don't even want to make them understood
— until that Day...

Old 14th June 2015, 10:27 AM

You're welcome, everyone
Old 14th June 2015, 11:02 AM
Love song H-Initiate

thank you!

I think in last few weeks I knew more about ayu than any time before
Old 14th June 2015, 11:18 AM
WE WISH Initiate

Thank you so much.

This might be one of the most insiggul interviews I've read from ayu.
And I feel like it helps me (along with other interviews) to understand her career and potentially make reasons for all of things good , neutral, or bad that have happened/that she does.

Ayu 💛 JASMINE 💛 Hikki 💛 Eiko 💛 MELL
♡ MUCC ♡

Twitter

Old 14th June 2015, 02:45 PM
Interlude Initiate

Thank you very much for the translation, i love the more insightful interviews from her.
wish there was an archive where you can read all interviews translated (or the most important ones)

interesting to find out that to be, boys and girls and A are connected by a thread on the covers. I looked for images of these releases and saw that b&g had part of the "to be" photo included. (I always wondered why there were those weird lines on the A single)
Old 14th June 2015, 04:11 PM
independent Initiate

Thank you so much tenshi!! I really appreciate your hard work!

I think these kind of old interviews are a really interesting read. Ayu always has those really personal lyrics which makes me feel like I know her better than I do. Interviews like those or even just her tweets sometimes makes me realize that I really don't know her at all.
Old 14th June 2015, 04:29 PM
No way to say Initiate

Thank you! Please continue to translate these old interviews..they're so interesting.
Old 14th June 2015, 05:01 PM
Rock'n'Roll Circus Initiate

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

教えてよねぇあなたならこの時代をどう生きる
Ayu Concerts I've Attended:
Arena Tour 2013: A BEST LIVE
Arena Tour 2015: Cirque de Minuit
Arena Tour 2016: MADE IN JAPAN

You can find me on the gram: https://www.instagram.com/b_utifulfighter/
Old 15th June 2015, 07:25 AM

You're welcome~ She really has some interesting interviews.

I wish I had more scans of her earlier interviews (in readable quality).
Old 15th June 2015, 08:54 AM
Love song H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenshi no hane View Post
I wish I had more scans of her earlier interviews (in readable quality).
Taki shared some other old girlpop magazines in his blog

Vol.36 March 1999
Vol.44 July 2000
Vol.47 January 2001
Vol.49 May 2001

Last edited by Aderianu; 20th June 2015 at 10:27 AM.
Old 15th June 2015, 08:27 PM
Replace Initiate

Dangit, why does everyone always translate stuff I'm in the middle of translating?? LOL... I need to work faster.

Thanks for saving me the work of translating the second half, I guess? XD Good work, thank you
Old 15th June 2015, 09:45 PM
SCAR Initiate

Thank you, it was beautiful to read. Ayu is such a unique human being. I really love her way of thinking.
Old 15th June 2015, 10:17 PM
RAINBOW Guardian

Thank you so much, tenshi
Old 16th June 2015, 06:48 AM

^ You're welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium-Zer0 View Post
Dangit, why does everyone always translate stuff I'm in the middle of translating?? LOL... I need to work faster.

Thanks for saving me the work of translating the second half, I guess? XD Good work, thank you
Tough luck XD Is there any other interview you're working on? or planning to? (So we won't overlap again lol)

Last edited by tenshi no hane; 16th June 2015 at 08:22 AM. Reason: typo as always
Old 20th June 2015, 05:30 AM
Replace Initiate

Nah, I kinda started translating it randomly while I was digitizing some old magazine scans. I don't have any in planning at the moment, I'm mostly focusing on my re translations of her lyrics at the moment.

Mostly I'm just kinda hoping for every article or interview with any substance to be translated eventually XD

Thanks though - I'll PM you if I plan on any others lol