Review Of A COMPLETE ~ALL SINGLES~ In Singapore's The Strait Times's Life ! papers - Page 2 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Old 3rd October 2008, 08:25 AM
WE WISH Initiate

Its quite a disappointment after I read the review.
I do agreed on some parts especially the high-pitched voice because I can bear to listen to her earlier songs but its her earlier masterpieces.

The reviewer mainly focuses on the voice and the quality of the packaging.

And there's some things that was missing on that review: its her 10th anniversary man! and the DVD of unreleased footages of TA exclusive concert and A-NATION footages.

3/5 is too little; I think 4.5/5 is better.

"From 2004 to 2011, thank you Ayu for sharing your wonderful music to my life..."

Old 3rd October 2008, 08:30 AM
End of the World Initiate

walao i think he never even listen finish at least one song los .. rawr
its unfair!!
im emailing comments to th paper.
Old 3rd October 2008, 08:37 AM
LIKE A CRYSTAL H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanz16 View Post
Its quite a disappointment after I read the review.
I do agreed on some parts especially the high-pitched voice because I can bear to listen to her earlier songs but its her earlier masterpieces.

The reviewer mainly focuses on the voice and the quality of the packaging.

And there's some things that was missing on that review: its her 10th anniversary man! and the DVD of unreleased footages of TA exclusive concert and A-NATION footages.

3/5 is too little; I think 4.5/5 is better.
I think he just review for the sake of reviewing & you can definitely tell he's lazy in doing such a proper review of A COMPLETE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleidoscope View Post
walao i think he never even listen finish at least one song los .. rawr
its unfair!!
im emailing comments to th paper.
I attached the email address to ST in the 1st post

hopefully I can see your email over the weekend on this

Dedicated BRZ fan since 2008 debut single ♪ | team brz member ♥ | BREAKERZ BIRTHDAY PARTY 2024 ♥

My JPop Blog | My Twitter | BRZ Thread 47 | BRZ LiveJournal | BRZ Official Site

Old 3rd October 2008, 02:15 PM
I am... Initiate

I've learnt never to depend on singapore reviews for japanese albums. I don't know what the reviewer was talking about for disc 1. For my dear, definitely off but boys & girls and monochrome were perfectly fine! For discs 2 and 3, he probably just used his general knowledge to comment on it i.e. he never listened to it. The part where "musical metamorphosis is accompanied by a gazillion visually arresting image changes which rival Madonna's" has been quoted to death. Tell us something we don't know. Or has not been mentioned in "gazillions" chinese and english magazines.

I remember an 8 days review of (m)u. It was ludicrously inadequate. Basically, Celine Tan (yes i remember the reviewer) stated Bold & Delicious was a so-so effort and the whole album was about a girl finding her way through life. The rest of the review was describing ayu's fashion statements. It's painfully obvious she just listened to the first song and maybe read other reviews or english translations.

Someone commented on the journalist's poor writing standard. Dismaying isn't it? Some are really good actually but i'm not quite sure how they choose their editors. For example sumiko tan. How can she be the editor of ST? Her articles are mediocre at best. And the aforementioned celine tan is currently the editor of 8 days. Where are our talent going?
Old 3rd October 2008, 02:24 PM
Voyage Initiate

3/5 is waaay too low...
Old 3rd October 2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarAngel View Post
I've learnt never to depend on singapore reviews for japanese albums. I don't know what the reviewer was talking about for disc 1. For my dear, definitely off but boys & girls and monochrome were perfectly fine! For discs 2 and 3, he probably just used his general knowledge to comment on it i.e. he never listened to it. The part where "musical metamorphosis is accompanied by a gazillion visually arresting image changes which rival Madonna's" has been quoted to death. Tell us something we don't know. Or has not been mentioned in "gazillions" chinese and english magazines.

I remember an 8 days review of (m)u. It was ludicrously inadequate. Basically, Celine Tan (yes i remember the reviewer) stated Bold & Delicious was a so-so effort and the whole album was about a girl finding her way through life. The rest of the review was describing ayu's fashion statements. It's painfully obvious she just listened to the first song and maybe read other reviews or english translations.

Someone commented on the journalist's poor writing standard. Dismaying isn't it? Some are really good actually but i'm not quite sure how they choose their editors. For example sumiko tan. How can she be the editor of ST? Her articles are mediocre at best. And the aforementioned celine tan is currently the editor of 8 days. Where are our talent going?
*clap clap*

that's why our local magazines really suck . I used to like LIME but after last year when some bozo came onboard , he totally f the whole magazine up

thank goodness LIME's going to be closing shop soon LOL

Dedicated BRZ fan since 2008 debut single ♪ | team brz member ♥ | BREAKERZ BIRTHDAY PARTY 2024 ♥

Old 3rd October 2008, 02:57 PM
Lee_410

Bad rewiewer.
Old 3rd October 2008, 03:08 PM
I am... Initiate

Lol i wrote in an e-mail but it's probably too scathing to come up in the reader's forum. Come on it's so obvious the dude knew nothing about ayu's earlier songs so he listened to 3 at random and her voice was too high-pitched for his liking. He probably heard SEASONS and M before and said discs 2 and 3 had better and bolder stuff. 1 line to describe 29 songs. Real classy.

Even for SHE's review which took up 2/3 of a page. He just listed their past accomplishmets and the album collaborations. All just to blow smoke to cover the fact that he probably didn't listen to the album at all. Seiko Mastusda's review was also laughable. This is ridiculous.
Old 3rd October 2008, 03:45 PM
count down Initiate

I found this review disappointing, and really garbage-quality.

It's a single collection for God's sake, so I don't know how it should be reviewed anyways. But, all I know is that Ayu's squeaky voice was her "signature" back then in Japan. So, wow, and now it has become that the listener has to endure and must "survive to listen to Disc 2 and 3". Screw this. I'm kind of pissed by the sloppy review.
Old 3rd October 2008, 03:46 PM
ayu trance Initiate

10x
Old 3rd October 2008, 03:55 PM
Heartplace Initiate

yah he didn't even mention this complete compilation is for Ayu's 10th anniversary.
3/5 is very low.....

♥♥ Kamenashi Kazuya ♥♥

♪♪♪ Music is my life ♪♪♪

Old 3rd October 2008, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwiz View Post
the author even compared her with Madonna X)
All the more reason why this is a truly horrible review. But you can't please all critics. XD
Old 3rd October 2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterballoon View Post
I found this review disappointing, and really garbage-quality.

It's a single collection for God's sake, so I don't know how it should be reviewed anyways. But, all I know is that Ayu's squeaky voice was her "signature" back then in Japan. So, wow, and now it has become that the listener has to endure and must "survive to listen to Disc 2 and 3". Screw this. I'm kind of pissed by the sloppy review.
exactly I also don't review compliation albums in my music blog to begin with as what's the point in doing so ?

it's just a cheap shot at putting a review down on the papers that's all

Old 3rd October 2008, 05:02 PM
Initiate

i kinda understand why he wrote such a review. it's hard to 'survive' ayu's earliest songs, especially if you're not into jpop so much.
Old 3rd October 2008, 05:09 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

It's a compilation o_o' what kind of rating you can give?

Quote:
i kinda understand why he wrote such a review. it's hard to 'survive' ayu's earliest songs, especially if you're not into jpop so much.
lol, it's true.
But it's a useless review

Last edited by Kazeyomi; 3rd October 2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 3rd October 2008, 05:25 PM
SURREAL Initiate

It should have been 4/5 ! i dont think the writer even listened to ayu's songs. at least appreciate her effort for the 10th anniversary chinese version of Who.. (i kinda like it now)

Set made by ownsarai

Old 3rd October 2008, 05:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayu-fan View Post
That's just stupid. If you're a real critic, you shouldn't let your own opinion i.e. not liking J-Pop interfere with the review.
Old 3rd October 2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose View Post
That's just stupid. If you're a real critic, you shouldn't let your own opinion i.e. not liking J-Pop interfere with the review.
see this's why I wouldn't be able to make the cut as a professional music critic cos I know I will be very biased on what I like & dislike

Old 3rd October 2008, 05:55 PM
Far away Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenPang View Post
see this's why I wouldn't be able to make the cut as a professional music critic cos I know I will be very biased on what I like & dislike
So true, and those reviewer sounded like some jpop haters.....
Old 3rd October 2008, 06:13 PM
WE WISH Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitkki View Post
How exactly does one review a single collection? The review sounds more like something you'd find on an online blog than anything professional.
I agree.

Sounds more like the guy needed to fill in his editorial quota or he was gonna get fired.

Tags
浜崎 あゆみ, 浜崎あゆみ, a complete ~all singles~, ayumi hamasaki