ARENA TOUR 2012 A ~HOTEL Love songs~ information thread - Page 24 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 13th April 2012, 09:11 PM
Humming 7/4 Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrenekoi View Post
I agree 100% that Ayu touches riskier subjects on her lyrics, but it's not like she started doing so recently too... Anybody who listened to most of her golden age discography will her she singing about mainly the same things, with a less mature and sometimes angrier point of view... Still, most of her lyrics are pretty much straight foward and her sound can hardly be considered "strange" for most of the time... This is just my opinion, but I always saw Ayu as the one bold with her themes, and Hikki the one bold with her sound (bold in a pop context, both)
Hmm...this is also my personal opinion, but I think that Ayu is bolder when it comes to both lyrics and music, but Hikki tends to have less straight forward lyrics which I love. Imo Hikki's more depressive songs are really well written. I think that Ayu has lately became repetitive when it comes to the stuff she writes about, but occasionally she writes something like Love song or Last angel and blows me away xD not that those songs have extremely fresh lyrics, but are simply so well written that she amazes me.

Follow me @njanjayrp

Old 13th April 2012, 10:14 PM
End of the World Initiate

Quote:
Jpop fans... believing their multi-million selling idols are underground indie artists since 1998
This is the eternal truth.

No other comment ever needs to be made on Jpop fandoms EVER.

This is so true, I wish I had said it.
Old 13th April 2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't say they aren't radio friendly just because they are a bit heavier on guitar and stuff like that... It's not like rock isn't a mainstream genre by itself for at least 50 years now, or even that rock is not a common genre in japan, cuz it is. Hikki releases singles that are a little more experiemental in genre, and her lyrics tend to be more complex too. Not saying one is better than the other because of that, cuz this is far from being the case, but is a well known fact that Hikki tends to get a little wilder musical-wise since Deep River than most jpop top selling acts... and this actually one of the things that made her known. This also doesn't mean Ayu actually gets wilder than your everyday jpop act, cuz she does, still, she never released anything that wasn't pop in nature (and neither did Hikki, in Japan at least)

Still, both of them are pop musicians in the end of the day, so I'm not saying that Hikki is some underground genious either, just that she releases some stuff that takesa little more time to digest sound-wise (Hymne à l'amour fastly coming to mind as a recent example)
To be honest I don't find Hikki experiemental at all. For me 90% of her stuff sounds the same. And about her lyrics being complex... for me most of her lyrics are complete nonsense. I really don't get why Hikki is praised like a goddess, she has some great tracks, but in general I really can't see why people think she is experiemental or anything that comes near to that.
Old 13th April 2012, 10:37 PM
RED LINE ~for TA~ Initiate

idk it's hard for me not to consider a lot of hikki tracks "experimental" just in the idea that, she produces a very different sound and a lot of it IS harder to listen to because of how she mixes.

I would exclude most of her R&B stuff here...

I think people have a weird notion of what "experimental" means.

Just like they have a weird notion of what "mainstream" is.

Anyways, I agree overall with Andrenekoi. And I think Ayu's music is just a tad more radio friendly for Japan, only because she has a discography that is better suited for it. How much do we talk about all the summer songs and generic winter ballads she has?

And actually, I think we could apply the "sounds the same" comment to ayu as well. Since she uses a lot of the same formulas and arrangements...

how interesting! I just realised that lol Interesting how people are similar to each other.

oh, if hikki sounds so much like "other people", I'd really love a list of these other people, cause I'd love to check them out thanks~~

☆ bunnnniiiieeeesssss ☆

- The "New Artists You're Trying Out" Thread -

don't forget to spread the kuu

Last edited by emi♡; 13th April 2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 13th April 2012, 11:13 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
Jpop fans... believing their multi-million selling idols are underground indie artists since 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by relmy View Post
This is the eternal truth.

No other comment ever needs to be made on Jpop fandoms EVER.

This is so true, I wish I had said it.
Well, it is kind of true if you don't live in Japan (not necessarily the indie part but I have heard that avex is considered an 'independent' label by someone here) but in Japan, a lot of these acts are anything but underground, haha.

As for Utada, I think a lot of people treat her as a goddess because she basically handles everything when it comes to her music (lyrics, composition, arrangement) though I wonder if she would even be nearly as popular if she wasn't so involved with her music.

I feel like no one else is as versatile or takes as many risks as Ayu does when it comes to her music in the world of female soloists. However sometimes those risks don't necessarily pay off (people were turned off by a handful of tracks on Party Queen because of it, I think) but I respect how she does whatever she feels like doing without resorting to basically copy pasting tracks although you could say that her summer-y songs are all the same BUT I think that was more because of an arranger doing the same thing for every track than the songs actually being 'the same'.
Old 14th April 2012, 07:04 AM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

Ok nice talk now back on topic people haha This could be a nice thread discussion on its own though!
Old 14th April 2012, 07:27 AM
SURREAL H-Initiate

I think a lot of utadas success also stems from her looking normal. Japan loves normality. Of course her videos have strange themes and images, she herself is very average in appearance. She's not a super dolled up made up created image.

And also, she kind of revolutionized the Japanese music scene in a sense with the success of her r&b music.

"Remember, don't let others dictate your music taste. If you like whatever you're listening to, keep listening to it."

Old 14th April 2012, 07:33 AM
LIMIT Initiate

new album is the most important
Old 14th April 2012, 07:42 AM
POWDER SNOW Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetGirl View Post
obviously Im the only one who thinks her stuff is pretty generic (comparing her to usa scene). its bland copy.

now Im waiting to be attacked LOL
her music is 10 times better than the "music" scene here in the US. if anything their (the US music scene/industry) music sounds like copies (and they do sound like crap).
Old 14th April 2012, 09:23 AM
Over Initiate

^agree!

thanks ownsarai

Old 14th April 2012, 10:16 AM
TO BE Initiate

I like both artists, but I enjoy Ayu more lyrically.

Last edited by Jawdarna; 14th April 2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 14th April 2012, 01:21 PM
until that Day… Initiate

any news about today concert?
Old 14th April 2012, 02:55 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

http://avexnet.or.jp/ayu/hotelblog

It's updated with some Osaka pics!
Old 14th April 2012, 03:10 PM
MY STORY Initiate

cosplayers!!!!!!!!

What's the yellow flower/sunflower costume from?

AYU ~Countdown Live 2012-2013 ~WAKE UP~ [29.12, 31.12], AYU ~CDL Cirque du Minuet [29.12.14], AYU TROUBLE 18-19 [05.01.19]
Maaya Sakamoto ~Mitsubachi [30.12.12] BABYMETAL [10.01.2015]

BIG BANG [21.10.2015]
Old 14th April 2012, 03:12 PM
PAPER DOLL Initiate

Oh my god, I'm in that pic of the goods stand, in the purple coat + backpack looking like a tard LOL
Old 14th April 2012, 03:15 PM
rainy day Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth_maiden View Post
cosplayers!!!!!!!!

What's the yellow flower/sunflower costume from?
SEASONS @ Music Station 9 June 2000
Old 14th April 2012, 03:52 PM
Kana×Shin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayuuk View Post
http://avexnet.or.jp/ayu/hotelblog

It's updated with some Osaka pics!
Ah...did I see Jorge?
Old 14th April 2012, 03:56 PM
TO BE Initiate

^ I met and took a picture with them!! One sunflower girl and the Dream ON girl.

Also had my picture taken with two of the noncosplayers in the picture of the girl in the red dress and the girl in the outfit from WHATEVER, CDL 04-05.
Old 14th April 2012, 05:13 PM
Replace Initiate

I believe Hikki's music is more appealing to the Japanese.
Old 14th April 2012, 05:16 PM
MY STORY Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kana×Shin View Post
Ah...did I see Jorge?

or some other mature response..

AYU ~Countdown Live 2012-2013 ~WAKE UP~ [29.12, 31.12], AYU ~CDL Cirque du Minuet [29.12.14], AYU TROUBLE 18-19 [05.01.19]
Maaya Sakamoto ~Mitsubachi [30.12.12] BABYMETAL [10.01.2015]

BIG BANG [21.10.2015]
Closed Thread

Tags
浜崎 あゆみ, 浜崎あゆみ, arena tour 2012, hotel love songs, party queen