[Translation] "Memorial address" beatfreak track-by-track interview - Page 2 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Enquiries > Ayu Library > Articles

Notices

Old 25th November 2009, 03:43 PM
Heartplace Initiate

that interview was great!! thank you sooo muchs!! there's a lot of songs I love here!!

""Memorial address." In my mind, it's very special, and when I made it, it became important to me in the same way "teddy bear" (from "Duty") is."

I always thouhg of this connection between both songs... And it's great now that I know whay there's no lyrics for memorial... But I still don't know what that simple sentence mean... someone knows that??

How to join Team Ayu! ~

Old 25th November 2009, 04:17 PM
forgiveness Initiate

wow, I absolutely love that comparison, if greatful days is the dream, then ourselves is the nightmare. so cool. and I love how she says episode 2 is the end of summer, then we have the winter pv. So beautiful.
Old 25th November 2009, 04:18 PM
Who... Initiate

Memorial address was certainly a well-thought out album and is a masterpiece all on its own.

What's interesting though is that in my 5-ish years of being an Ayu fan, I don't think I've ever seen a thread on a forum saying "Did anyone notice that Memorial address' lyrics aren't in the booklet?"
Old 25th November 2009, 05:19 PM
Greatful days Initiate

Thank you so much for translating this! Such an interesting thing to read!

I wonder how the sadder, rock version of ANGEL'S SONG sounds like and what Memorial address would sound like had she recorded it with her original intentions?
Old 25th November 2009, 05:47 PM
End of the World Initiate

Thank you for the translation.

This is a really special album for me, Because of You was my first Ayu song, and this was also my first Ayu album, even though I didn't get it until a few years after first hearing Because of You.

This interview really makes you appreciate this masterpiece of an album even more. Even Greatful days which I feel is the most annoying Ayu song ever made!
Old 25th November 2009, 11:19 PM
As if.. Initiate

I love it when she goes behind the scenes with her PVs. It's fascinating to see the story behind the avant-garde imagery.

Thanks, Deli! Your amazingness knows no bounds. XD
Old 26th November 2009, 01:05 AM
Prologue Initiate

Thank you so much Deli!

Yeah, MA was my first album (or rather, the songs on this album) I ever heard from Ayu. This interview just made this even more special now.
When I was reading the "No Way to Say" explanation and thinking of the PV, it almost made me cry. I think this was her most in-depth and emotional album she ever made. She is very creative and thoughtful with her works, no?

But I hear people saying that MA was about her dad (the song, not the whole album. I also heard the same thing with "No Way to Say"...?). While I can gather this, how did people come to realize this, apart from looking at the actual album picture with the mirror and the date on it?
Old 26th November 2009, 03:07 AM
Replace Initiate

The lyrics state explicitly that this is someone she DIDN'T have a good relationship with, but that she wished she HAD. She wished she'd known more about him, experienced the love she felt she was supposed to receive from him. This ties right into her father leaving when she was a child and the two of them never getting to know each other. During her All Night Nippon radio appearance in late 1998, she said that she thought it might be nice if she got to see him again one day before she died, and if she still felt that way in 2003, then him passing away before she got the chance would have been a HUGE regret for her. The lyrics to M.a. really put that feeling across. There's alot of regret, anger, frustration, and longing in the lyrics as opposed to simply sadness that someone has passed away.

She's also said openly (I believe, although I don't remember where) that "teddy bear" was about the emotions she felt when her father left. Even before this interview was translated, it appeared that "teddy bear" and "Memorial address" went together as a set for Ayu, since she performed them together in concert with no break in between, and it seemed very much as though the emotions felt during "teddy bear" were carried over into "Memorial address" in the performance - it was extremely raw and rather heart-wrenching to watch. It stood to reason that the two songs were probably about the same person.
Old 26th November 2009, 03:49 AM
Don't look back Initiate

No way to say's PV was aimed at thoday's modernized world?! wow...I really never saw that. But hey, that's true.

And it's no wonder she sang teddy bear and Memorial Address in AT0304

this is an amazing mini album. I never knew HAL arrange Because of You and MOST of this album..which means...rock songs + HAL is pure awesomeness (just like t2m). I would LOVE Kouki Tange to comeback as a director. Sunaga's MV are just random and funny ahhaha
Old 26th November 2009, 04:46 AM
ourselves Initiate

thanks for the translation! this was a great one and i really enjoyed it; especially the parts about Memorial address (the song) and how it's connected to teddy bear. there's proof to its meaning if we ever needed one!

My travel blog
Old 26th November 2009, 08:47 AM
fairyland Initiate

thanks..with this translation I like No way to say more and more

~thanks pepper for the set~
Old 26th November 2009, 11:05 AM
SCAR Initiate

As my favourite Ayumi album, she didn't say enough about it! Saying nothing about the title track... aaaargh! We all know what its about, and she gives it away as she links it with teddy bear. But she didn't want to give it away because she wanted fans to give it its own meaning from their own interpretation. That's what we all did.

No doubt the teddy bear + memorial address performances during AT 03-04 is probably her most emotional performances ever. I just love that part of her arena tour. It blew me away.

I'm interested in the rockier take on ANGEL'S SONG as well. Makes you think how many of her songs have alternative arrangements that we'll never hear.

And not enough about the Because of You PV, argubly her best video ever.

Last edited by Tony G; 26th November 2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 26th November 2009, 02:31 PM
Because of You Initiate

Thank you as always!
Old 26th November 2009, 11:09 PM
forgiveness Initiate

I had no idea that that was ayu playing the guitar in the hanabi pv. Her hair looks so weird there. I think that's really cool.
Old 27th November 2009, 02:59 AM
Who... Initiate

thank you for the translation Deli ^^ fantastic job as always
Old 27th November 2009, 03:48 AM
NEVER EVER Initiate

Thanks a lot for this, Deli~ The translation is really good, and I got a lot of good info out of this.

I never realized how stressful that year must have been for Ayu. O_O A MUSEUM, Memorial address, and all those singles! =O Lots of maxi-singles. It's cool hearing....er, reading... Ayu's reflection upon that year.

Thanks again. =]

Subbed Kuu | driving_angel @ WKKW | Kuu GIFs

Tags
ayu, ayumi, ayumi hamasaki, beatfreak, interview, memorial address, translation