[Translation] Ayumi ViVi May 2008 Interview - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Enquiries > Ayu Library > Articles

Notices

Old 29th June 2008, 07:11 AM
Evolution Xavier

[Translation] Ayumi ViVi May 2008 Interview

Ayumi Hamasaki 10th Anniversary

ViVi celebrates it earlier than anybody else!!

The date 8/April/2008 marked the 10 year since ayu's debut as a singer.

In the name of celebration, Ayu reviews the path of her 10-year-old career together with us in some of her best on-stage dresses. It was from here on that we witnessed the dreams that Ayu had realized... "A dream shall never end". Declared Ayu who will be moving on with us, and continue to coherent between us.

[When it's about leopard spots, you will think of Ayu! What makes everyone think like that is because of this costume]

(small text below)
There were many versions of leopard-spots among my costumes, I chose this dress because I had thought of the idea "When it's about leopard spots, you will think of Ayu". This dress was made during the first concert tour, and so I considered it the origin of all my later leopard dresses. Recently, I began to be more and more demanding towards costume. And I started to be picky towards leopard spot designs (sheepish smile).Why do I like leopard spots? Maybe it's because it gives a sense of strong... something like I can gain courage by wearing them.]

Type: Mini dress
Reference: Akira Noda (workaholic)
Other accessories are Ayumi's personal items

[It's like a part of the body...
Such a luxurious outfit makes Ayu more like Ayu]

(Small text below)

[This is the Hollywood-style ball gown wore on Kouhaku on 2006. It was my 7th appearance. I performed "Jewel".
The skirt part was made on a metal wire frame, so it was very heavy, and it's impossible to wear it on my own.
On the crossing of the year, when the Kouhaku finished, I still have countdown live concert at Yoyogi, so it was a hectic rush.]
Says Ayu while wearing the gown and the sense of gracefulness just floats around in the air as if time itself has stopped.

Type: Ball Gown
Reference: Akira Noda (workaholic)
Other accessories are Ayumi's personal items

Ayu's famous quotes of a decade

We look back to whatever Ayu had said until recent during our interview in one go!

[It's absolutely great to turn on your own antenna all the time, but you can't keep anything just by doing so.]
I believe that, even though I was being criticized or ridiculed, these comments were also precious to me!
(ViVi 2006 January)

[When I realized, I discovered How many things have I lost throughout that period. However, after I tried hard to regain whatever I have lost, I have lost other more important things. I just repeat the cycle in this entire year]

(On the first anniversary of her debut, the interview of her career’s review.)

(ViVi 1999 July )

[I don’t want this album to give everyone a feeling Ayu helping people, but a feeling of “If you want to move on together with Ayu, and then let’s go”. This is the feeling I wanted.]

(Third album “Duty” Interview)

(ViVi 2000 December)

[Until now, it really takes a lot of courage to change whatever things I have kept according to my will. Even so, such changes are inevitable to progress into another level (of my career).]

(A Best release interview)

(ViVi 2001 May)

[The most important is not about “How other view yourself”, but “What do you want to become”. Whether it is about dressing sense or living style, as long as you believe in yourself, then you will have people who understand and recognize who you are.]

(ViVi 2004 February)

[If everything is safe and assured, then the human will feel secured, and only that, it can also make the people think nothing is unsolvable. However it attracts and causes unwanted things to happen. In the end, it’s just emptiness. Knowing that, I’m contented to have things just enough for my needs beside me.]

(ViVi 2005 August)

[(For Ayu), being surrounded by music everyday is considered happiness, to you guys it should be the same too. That season when you kept listening to the same song, that taste of the tunes…. They can bring back a lot of memories don’t they? ]

(Arena Tour 2002 interview)

(ViVi 2002 September)

[But, the rainbow surely will only make those people who see it happy. It like a dream, when you are unable to touch it but you can’t deny its existence. Of course, I still wanted to become someone that can give others dream to come true, a hope or light. ]

(Post release of Rainbow interview)

(ViVi 2003 February)

(The small text below the page)

This is the costume that Ayu used during the 20007 Kouhaku. Using the breast section as the center, a lot of diamond was sewed onto the dress, which they shine with seven colors, as if Ayu was a beautiful princess comes over from the nation of light. The dress adds a bit of suaveness, plus a bit more feeling of coolness to Ayu, which produces a kind of “mode” that links different time spaces around her. The only woman that can wear this kind of dress so perfectly in spite of searching around the world shall be Ayu.

Reference product: Akira Noda (workaholic)
Others were Ayumi’s personal items

Ayu X ViVi

The 10-year-old path they took together

The stage costumes that Ayu prepared for us had somehow made most girls’ dreams come into reality. Regardless of time eras, generations, nationality, anyone had dreams like those. The luxurious-ness and beauty were all seen together.

It was Ayu’s idea about using the stage costumes as the main part of the 10th anniversary career review project.

Ayu demanded much about the details of the costumes, such as the curvature of the hat’s edges, the size of the wings, or even the amount of laces used on the sleeve openings. When she put on the pink ball gown, the beauty wowed everyone in the studio.

“No matter what I wear, people would say, “It’s so Ayu-style!” Maybe it’s because I’m suitable to any kind of clothes (smiles shyly), I’m short, and lack the body curve of a model, plus having a lot of parts that I feel inferior of. It’s just that I know my own weaknesses and strong points, and therefore I am good at covering my weaknesses and emphasize on my strong points, I’m just a bit good on “polishing” myself that’s all.

Frequently I heard of people imitating Ayu’s hairstyle. Actually my hair is very difficult to handle. It’s so soft and thin, and the hair condition is pretty bad. So I kind of envy whoever had straight hair. But I had never thought of making them straighten out, because I don’t want to turn into somebody else, hoping that I can keep the way I am. I’m actually the “straight forward” type of person. (Smiles) And so on I would keep on reminding myself to always be myself. That is the most important thing, isn’t it…?”

At this point, I asked Ayu, “So, using own body to the fullest is your way to shape who you are now?”

“Actually that’s about me. I thought this would be better.” Ayu said. “I had never thought about things like, “I wanna be the popular leader among Japanese girls” or “I wanna let something be the center of a craze”. I just simply wanted to wear what I liked and sing songs that I loved. No matter what a person chooses to wear, how he is suppose to live, that’s his personal life. He should just follow the path that he has taken. ”

“Anyhow, even if I am thinking of things like “I wanted to be well liked by everyone” or “I wanted to be popular”. It is up to the others to make it happen, isn’t it? I won’t think about things that are beyond my control. I will still say “No” to things that I dislike even that results I got disliked by somebody out there.”

After these 10 years Ayu had walked through, she had achieved much both externally and internally. While fulfilling her dreams depending on popularizing fashion sense and appearance, she also sang out her heart on the other hand. Looking back on herself, who were on the pinnacle of her singing career for 10 years straight, she modestly said, “It’s just because I was lucky.”

“I think I’m very lucky to have that sort of click with the girls that were being born in same era as mine, we were like went through thick and thin no matter what, and that included embarrassing things (Smiles). Looking back my diary, I had drawn a “<” on the beginning of the book using a white eyeliner that time, and looking at now, I was like, “what the heck?” But everyone would say, “It’s nothing bad!” Sounds like “< alliance”? Eh, why are we talking this? (Laughs)

“Same goes to singing. During concert, at times I would think “Why did I write such a song?” or “why is this tune being so sad?” Anyway, it’s a mystery. It’s true that I am the one who’s singing, and it’s because the existence of those people who can feel my lyrics and songs, they were able to link my heart with theirs, bit by bit.”

Indeed, Ayu had created numerous “resonance” with her fans over these 10 years. Ayu had presented the truest form of herself via the duality of “visualization” her dreams and “wording” her presence. And in result, we were greatly affected by her performances and it shall be stayed that way from now on.

I always follow my own thoughts when it comes to my personal matters – be it whatever I wanted to wear, whatever I wanted to sing – all were done without an acute plan. A decade is neither a long nor a short period, as it was full of highs and lows. But my passion for singing and conveying my messages to my fans had never waned because singing had given me the sole reason of my existence.”

During her childhood, she was vexed when she was ordered to write down her ambition in school. Thus Ayu wrote “I wanted to be an adult”, simply because she was angry when these adults always dismissed her with the excuse of “you’re still just a kid” whenever she begged to differ.

The lone girl finally tasted the sweetness of fulfilling one’s dreams when she was gifted with the talent of singing. Ayu’s accomplishments during her 10 year-old career was beyond calculations.

When we asked her the question, “After made so many dreams came true, are there any more dreams that have yet to be fulfilled?” She said, “Yeah of course there’s more.” But when we asked again, “and what’s that?” She laughed while saying out loud, “I’m not gonna tell you!”

“Because it will just kill the fun when you say it out. Ambitions should be revealed after you made it happen. When I determined to become a singer, I had thought “I don’t know why I must be no.1, but I know that I must be no.1”. However I had never told anyone about it. Only when I really made it, then I tell everybody else that “I did think about it in the first place”.”

It’s going to be the same in the future, which Ayu’s dreams will not end. And the coherence between us and Ayu will continue.

Translated by Isaac Hiew
29 June 2008
Translated from ViVi May 2008, International Chinese Version

The article is for the use of AHS Forum only, if you want to use this article somewhere else,
Kindly notify me via MSN or PM to get my permission. Thank you