Why the fuss? - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 16th February 2006, 04:31 AM
Endless sorrow Initiate

Why the fuss?

This is just my opinion on the covers of "Startin/Born to Be" and "STEP you/ is this LOVE?" vs the covers of "LOVEappears", "I Am...", "RAINBOW", etc. If talking about sensuality in art makes you uncomfortable, be warned that I do talk a little bit about it.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS JUST MY OPINION

So, I learned something in my art history class that made me think of this. Why are people much more up-in-arms (so to speak) about covers like "STEP you" and "Startin" and seem to forget about "RAINBOW", "I Am...", and "LOVEappears"? What makes the former "trashy" while the latter are "tasteful"? I think it has a lot to do with her gaze and, in "I Am...'s" case especially, the overall theme. In "LOVEappears", yes, she's TOPLESS, but her gaze is not seductive. Her gaze is...well, I don't know if it is confrontational, but it is certainly not inviting (which is also emphasized by her standing straight and tall with her hands on her hips).
In "I Am...", while she is wearing nothing but "leaves", the overall theme of the photo series is Ayu being a muse of peace. While there is more sex appeal in those full body shots of her, there are other shots that do not have as much, and I think an actual background scene and the overall theme tend to turn sex appeal into a secondary thing to many viewers (i.e. it's not like some viewers see it for the first time and go "Woah...SEXY!!!" immediately, like some of her recent covers). As for her gaze, there is barely a picture where she looks at the viewer, thus excluding them in a way.
As for "RAINBOW", I think that the artistic-ness of the cover takes away from any obvious sex appeal. What I mean is, when I first saw the cover for "RAINBOW", I was so blown away by the vibrance of the colors and effects that it took me a moment to realize she was naked. She looks fairly inhuman here - more like she's either physically part of the water or some kind of mythological sea dweller or nymph. The focal point, the part that my eye first goes to, is her hair and then her eyes, the only parts of the image that aren't blue. As far as nudity goes, like "LOVEappears", she doesn't look inviting. Her legs are drawn up to cover her chest and her gaze does not seem very seductive. As far the BACK cover goes, that is a whole different story. Not only is she showing her back, which is thought by many to be the most sensual part of the female form, but you can also see the shadow of her bottom in the water, which only accentuates her nudity.
So, the difference between these and "Step You" and "Startin"? Let's start with her gaze: In both versions, whether seductive or smiling, her gaze is inviting. She is there for the viewing pleasure of the audience, and for that purpose ONLY. As for her figure, no, she is not naked, but the clothes she is wearing (leather boots and corset/lingere piece in "STEP/you" and fur and high heels in "Startin") are clothes we associate with sexuality because they are designed to accentuate the female form. In both covers, Ayu is sitting in ways that, like her gaze, say that she is there only for the pleasure of the viewer. She is sitting in ways that we typically think of when we think of "sexy poses". Combine this with the absence of a complex background and/or "artistic" elements, and you have a cover where the main, secondary, and third focal points are all Ayu, and most likely not her face either. When I first saw the cover of "Startin", all I saw at first was -BAM! - legs (vs BAM! - colors that I saw when I first looked at "RAINBOW").
One final note, I believe the Westernized look of both these covers further pushes their obvious sex appeal because that is what Westerners are used to seeing when it comes to an artist being sexy.
This is just my opinion, something that I found interesting and wanted to share. My point isn't that one of the first three covers are somehow better or worse than the the last two, only that the composition of the image is what makes our perception and what makes it different from image to image.

Last edited by *hearT_Place*; 16th February 2006 at 04:35 AM.
Old 16th February 2006, 07:17 AM
SCAR Initiate

You made some good points. I don't think ayu has ever looked trashy. Sexiness is mostly a state of mind. If you feel sexy, you’ll be sexy. You can be naked and not be sexy at all. You can be fully covered and be totally sexy.
Old 16th February 2006, 07:25 AM
Naturally Initiate

you are very correct

Ayufan Since 2001~ <3 RAINBOW
Old 16th February 2006, 07:27 AM
HONEY Protector

Location: Oxford, UK (originally from Vancouver Island, Canada)
I really like your opinions... because they're similar to mine hehe. Not that I wouldn't like them otherwise

You make good analyses.

Check out my shop with handmade book jewellery!
Shop: www.coryographies.etsy.com --- Blog: www.coryographies.blogspot.com
Other blog: www.palaeolinguist.blogspot.com --- Other forum: www.linguistforum.com

Old 16th February 2006, 07:37 AM
Ayumi no Yume

Hmm.. that's A LOT of writing, but i thought the this - When i saw them, i thought of STEP you. Hopefully the next covers/songs will be super cute though! ^^ like fairyland, sad lyrics, cute song, sexy background dancers *.*
Old 16th February 2006, 08:00 AM
no more words Initiate

This looked more like she had that "glamourous, total diva" thought running through her head. She just spiced it up with her "I'm sexy and I know it" thought here and there.
Old 16th February 2006, 08:04 AM
Born To Be... Initiate

Location: Australia-Brisbane, where kangaroos jump around my backyard
yup i do agree with you, but i still love the CD cover!

oh and how about the UNITE cover? i think it looks kool!
Old 16th February 2006, 08:14 AM
theme of a-nation '03 Initiate

I also buy your points . Now I understand why some people think ayu's tryin' to be sexy in her recent covers. But I dunno... personally I think she's tryin' to be more mature and womanish . That's my view to ayu's recent album.
Old 16th February 2006, 10:44 AM
WE WISH Initiate

Like I've said before, I don't really find anything wrong with it if she's having fun in doing it.

Plus, it's really interesting to see her change into a more diva-ish look, since she's definitely not someone who can look cute in a few years' time. A sort of "growing-up" I guess.
Old 16th February 2006, 06:09 PM
SURREAL Initiate

Ayu doing scandalous covers is nothing new at all. I think the cover for Duty is way more scandalous than STEP you/is this LOVE?

Old 16th February 2006, 06:42 PM
talkin' 2 myself Initiate

wow, very well explained. you really broke it down and made your point well and i defintely would agree with you.

I just want to forget it all, without even saying "goodbye."
『Last minute』

Old 16th February 2006, 07:03 PM
immature Initiate

This was very interesting to read^___^very good points there.
Old 16th February 2006, 07:08 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

very good points..
it just seems like certian people like having something to complain about
Old 16th February 2006, 07:42 PM
Greatful days Initiate

you're totally right
Old 16th February 2006, 07:52 PM
glitter Initiate

That's really interesting. I really enjoyed reading this post.

Even if you cannot hear my voice. I'll be right beside you dear.

Set by pepper

Crossover x A Hitomi Shimatani Forum

Old 16th February 2006, 08:13 PM
SURREAL H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demure_Dusk
That's really interesting. I really enjoyed reading this post.
ditto.
Old 16th February 2006, 09:52 PM
no more words Initiate

you do make a a very good point...and that's exactly why i dont like how Ayu's becoming more "Westernized". I realize that She is topless in the cover ofLOVEppears and naked in Rainbow and I Am, but she represents more than just having sexual appeal; i didn't really mind that. However in the covers of Step You/Is This Love and Startin', it is more obvious to the viewer. There's absolutely no other meaning behind it.