[&] Hyori accused of plagiarism again. - Page 2 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat

Notices

Old 19th July 2008, 02:24 PM
Because of You Initiate

I can see why they would say it's too much like Candyman, but I don't think it's a blatant ripoff. Either way, I don't find her music that interesting. Get Ya was inferior to Do Somethin' and this song just sounds annoying. There need to be more Lee Jung Hyuns in Korean music today

Old 19th July 2008, 03:16 PM
Because of You Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halla View Post
I would not consider this plagiarism, she's just being VERY unoriginal.

her every album/image has just been pieced together from what's "hot & in" at the moment by her handlers. people should just enjoy her music for what it is, instead of forcing some sort of hopes of originality on it ...
I agree here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirai Noah View Post
"Spark" is a cover of a Luis Fonsi song, "Fuera de Control."
Interesting, didn't know that.
"Being part of a group like this, with you guys! is awesome! so I salute you all." (1st July 2010, 11:17 PM)
"Adiós." (8th May 2011, 02:13 PM)
Old 21st July 2008, 10:02 AM
Replace Initiate

I have read all those plagiarism points and laughed to death

the point they compare Candyman & U-Go-Girl is just hilarious as they are completely different!

and other things like posing nude with sketchers or whatever is sucha usual thing in photoshoots for all celebrities

this smoky make-up & such has nothing to do with Amy Winehouse, as actually that's just a classic retro look

hi-la-ri-ous =/
Old 21st July 2008, 05:05 PM
WE WISH Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by darc_aqua View Post
Not as bad as Get Ya was. A lot of the stuff on this album is quite fresh. much better than Dark Angel
I agree. I never liked her music, just her physical beauty up until this album. "Its Hyorish" actually passes as a pretty decent K-pop Album.

Having been a K-pop fan for WAY too long, using Western influence in K-pop is not something new. DJ Doc used to use a few beats that were originally in American songs in theirs. Dynamic Duo's "Ring my Bell" is a remake of an American 70s or 80s song. Choreography, music videos, even album booklets can be influenced from American material. As most of you may think, it's not that big a deal because nothing is really original these days. I mean after all the new kinds of music that were born in the 20th century, how can you really say one thing wasn't influenced by something else in a slightest way?

However, sometimes things do become more serious. Sometimes it is the singer/groups fault, other times the songwriters/studio, and sometimes its both. Baby Vox was a Korean girl group whose latest album was supposed to be an English debut. They incorporated recordings of the late rapper Tupac Shakur. Because the album was an English debut for them, they were also trying to promote a US release, but only received more negative feedback from American and Korean fans. Afeni Shakur and Death Row Records pushed legal action against the group. The album eventually became their downfall and they disbanded.

Hyori's "Dark Angel" album faced a somewhat similar scenario. Songwriters for Britney Spears "Do Somethin" accused the songwriters of "Get Ya" for plagiarism. It never really went to court, but it was a lot of bad publicity so the studio ended up stopping all promotion of the single.

Ehhh, I dunno where I am going with this. Maybe I'm jus trying to say that Western influence in K-pop is pretty common for a long time now. Sometimes it's sometime small, other times its bigger. This kinda falls in both because I don't think these antagonists can really make all these connections, but choreographers did a really poor job of making the music video way too similar.

And gosh, that Hoshino Akika looks really ugly. Makes me even more glad how pretty Ayu is.
Old 21st July 2008, 05:52 PM
INSPIRE Initiate

This time they dont have any reason...maybe this, but I think it's ok...

BoA also did that:

About the 'Candyman' music video from Christina Aguilera...c'mon, it's not a big deal. Many artists copy a lil' this a lil' that, but I dont think that's important in this case.
I think people just want to put Hyolee in a bad position.
The controversy around 'Do Somethin'' / 'Get Ya' songs was an important deal, that was really plagiarism, but this? Please...

Strangely, these days I just like things that are easy
generasia
MusicShop Gallery
Utada Hikaru Discography OLIVIA Discography
Base Ball Bear Discographymoumoon DiscographyJUJU Discography

Old 21st July 2008, 07:37 PM
talkin' 2 myself Initiate

Well, Hyori isn't the most original artist. But I don't care. Her new album is hot and that's all that matters to me. Those comparisons with Christina and Amy are kinda random. Like some of the Ayu/Jolin comparisons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truehappiness View Post
EDIT: I think I remember the songs now. DOUBLE and Let Me Be. I've gotta say though that it really does seem sort of suspicious, but eh.
Yeah. Both songs are really alike.

Girls' Generation is .

Old 21st July 2008, 07:47 PM
Initiate

one word: "LOL"
Old 21st July 2008, 08:07 PM
Endless sorrow Initiate

Hyori was always more entertainer than musician, so original in her musical works probably isn't the highest priority for her. I'd say it's more her producers fault than anything - you'd think they'd know better after the Britney Spears fiasco. Regardless of how things end, though, Hyori will always have her looks to fall back on.