New song:『Pray for you』 - Page 5 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Old 16th January 2021, 06:51 PM
winding road Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Lawi! View Post
^Let's normalise using Ayu gifs and this one in particular!

As much as I think the statement is too extreme, I think I understand where Akutenshi is coming from because I had the exact same reaction - bored to death thinking 'welp, that's an Ayu ballad all right' and when the horns came in I actually started paying attention.

Obviously it's all a matter of taste and I am in NO WAY qualified as a musician, but to me Pray for you does sound like Pray, Anything for you, Zutto, WORDS or Walk to quote a few. And apart from Walk, none of those actually appeal to me unfortunately.

While being of... varying quality let's say, I feel like the other ones in njanjyarp's list have something 'special' that made me remember them - the dry guitar in Shape of love, the 'etheral' instruments in You are the only one + break at the end, the relative simplicity of Sweet Scar, the change of tone in Last minute, ...

So yeah, while I disagree that Pray for you sounds like all her ballads in the last 7 years because she's had some KILLER ballads, I can't see it becoming one of my favourite based on the instrumental version. But then again, I would have said the same listening to the instrumental version of Walk and yet I was obsessed when it came out.

I guess I'm just secretly hoping for November part II
The issue I have in particular is with the 7-year and “almost every other”, as while you could say there is something that defines a generic ayu ballad i.e. Close to you, meaning of Love, Days, Anything for you, Winter diary, The Way I am and Ohia no Ki for example those are definitely in minority and even the majority of those while not shining brightest arrangement/composition-wise have at least had meaningful and well/written lyrics. Not every ballad will sound as grand as BRILLANTE. I have a feeling we tend to plaster the “generic” sticker to everything plain-sounding.

You did mention WORDS and while musically it’s kind of a simpler song I think the way it progresses and the lyrics just separate it from the batch.

Follow me @njanjayrp

Old 16th January 2021, 07:32 PM
Daybreak Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURREAL__RAINBOW View Post
I like the instrumental, although nothing could beat RAINBOW, ever!
RAINBOW really is one of her undisputed best songs, for me. it would be near-impossible to come up with this kind of perfection in this album (a CREA+D•A•I collaboration? that really builds to a satisfying climax?? in THIS economy???) but I do hope we get a great new song!
Old 16th January 2021, 07:39 PM
POWDER SNOW Initiate

What I think about her "generic" ballads is that they are generic based on her own standards. She has a lot of songs with similar sounding / arrangement (and it's Ayu's fault, cause she is stuck with Yuta Nakano, an excellent composer and arranger, but it's up to her asking or picking up melodies and arrangements who sounds similar), but they all sound very "oh, that's an Ayu song". Even if some of them aren't remarkable, she has a solid music identity and for me it's super positive.

no rain, can't get the rainbow
(ayumi hamasaki - RAINBOW)

Old Yesterday, 01:15 AM
Endless sorrow Initiate

Yeah I definitely agree with most of the points made above - first off the generic argument is really nitpicking at this point : the girl been singing for two decades and has covered so many styles that grouping a handful of similar sounding sounds is quite preposterous!

And to be honest I love that about her discography, first because it brings people with different tastes, I'm glad to know people enjoy songs I don't find particularly special, but also just on a personal level I'm glad she has a song for pretty much every mood I'm in! I might not be the biggest fan of her classic sounding ballads but I'd be lying if I said I have never played beloved or the way I am on repeat! And I loved loved loved BRILLANTE when it came out but sometimes it starts playing and I just can't be bothered with it. It's just nice to have such variety, it's something I haven't really found in any other artist I'm interested in.
Old Yesterday, 05:53 AM
POWDER SNOW Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Lawi! View Post
Yeah I definitely agree with most of the points made above - first off the generic argument is really nitpicking at this point : the girl been singing for two decades and has covered so many styles that grouping a handful of similar sounding sounds is quite preposterous!

And to be honest I love that about her discography, first because it brings people with different tastes, I'm glad to know people enjoy songs I don't find particularly special, but also just on a personal level I'm glad she has a song for pretty much every mood I'm in! I might not be the biggest fan of her classic sounding ballads but I'd be lying if I said I have never played beloved or the way I am on repeat! And I loved loved loved BRILLANTE when it came out but sometimes it starts playing and I just can't be bothered with it. It's just nice to have such variety, it's something I haven't really found in any other artist I'm interested in.
I think she is my favorite artist specially because of that. If we are talking about music crafting (melodies, arrangement, harmonies) we have some artists in J-Pop who are technically above her (like Utada or Shiina Ringo), but her production in general is way above the average and she is experimenting a lot during all these almost 23 years. Yeah, during the last years she has an specific taste for ballads, but she has given us some unique sounding like We are the QUEENS (a mix with epic orchestra, rock and dance track), W and FLOWER (two rock songs, but with a complete different route for each one), Mad World (also rock-influenced, but a very "current" and elegant rock ballad) and Dreamed a Dream (a 90s electronica and pop blaster).

Also, I always remember a thing Andrenekoi has been saying from a long time: when she wants to make her listeners paying attention to the lyrics (actually, she is a lyric-driven artist per se, but still), she downsize the music production to a basic level to avoid any distraction. The most "meaningful" ballads (in a personal level) of TROUBLE are like that and so is Ohia no Ki (I almost cried the first time I read the translation, so I wonder what would be the lyrics impact in a japanese native speaker who could relate to the motherhood situation).

no rain, can't get the rainbow
(ayumi hamasaki - RAINBOW)

Last edited by summerain; Yesterday at 10:03 AM.

Tags
cdl 20-21, music for life, pray for you