Happy 23rd Anniversary “LOVEppears” & “appears”!! - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

View Poll Results: What is/are your favorite song(s) from LOVEppears?
Introduction 4 9.09%
Fly high 14 31.82%
Trauma 6 13.64%
And Then 30 68.18%
immature 16 36.36%
Boys & Girls 9 20.45%
TO BE 14 31.82%
End roll 23 52.27%
P.S II 6 13.64%
WHATEVER 17 38.64%
too late 13 29.55%
appears 19 43.18%
monochrome 21 47.73%
Interlude 1 2.27%
LOVE ~refrain~ 3 6.82%
Who… 17 38.64%
kanariya 11 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th November 2022, 02:40 AM
Depend on you Initiate

Happy 23rd Anniversary “LOVEppears” & “appears”!!

23 years of LOVEppears today!!! I love and cherish this album so much because of how amazing it is and the fact it was my first ayu album i ever listened to…

This album has no skips to me, i can listen to it front to back a million times and never get tired of it. And even with not knowing the subject matter for a lot of the songs i can’t get enough of the production and how timelessly aged it is if that makes sense. Like wine or cheese LOL. And for the songs where I do know what they r about, i am simply blown away by their depth and maturity especially when considering she was only 21 when it dropped and this was just her second album EVER released! It is still one of her most successful albums ever to date and it is no wonder why. Every single accolade it got was 100% deserved and even every single released from it was a smash too. Even the songs that weren’t singles could’ve been ones and i’m sure they would’ve been additions to ayu’s neverending catalog of #1 hits.

Also released on the same day was “appears”, the 6th single from the album. The song is, I believe, one of the best songs ever made and is probably my favorite song of all time. The soaring productions is nothing like i had ever heard before and the lyrics were simply genius. The MV and photoshoot being done in NYC is simply iconic (sans the single cover which is more infamous than anything) and spawned some of her most legendary looks like the topless mermaid hair, the cowgirl look, and the red dress in the middle of the snow. The single itself followed the trend that begun with “Boys & Girls” in which it was a maxi single with over 10 tracks! Very generous to say the least. I really like a lot of the remixes including the Ferry Corsten remix of “WHATEVER” which is one of my faves that ayu has ever released. The b-side track “immature” is also top-tier, though i will say i infinitely like the album mix more, but the single version is still very good too.

I know ayu already did the 20th anniversary edition of the album in 2019 so i don’t expect her to release anything else to commemorate it, but I do wish that she’d post abt it and make like a special edit in celebration of it, kinda what Mariah does for her anniversaries.

But anyways, I wanna know: what r ur thoughts on this album? What’s your favorite song? What are some memories that you have attached to this album? Do you own it? Pls comment down below!!

Old 11th November 2022, 09:34 AM
Born To Be... Initiate

I like LOVEppears, it is such a classic album, even though I don't have special memories about it. I just love how early 00s J-Pop it is.

End Roll is definetely in my top 5 favorite Ayu-songs. I also voted for And then, immature, TO BE, WHATEVER and monochrome
Doesn't mean I am not enjoying the other songs. My selection just stands out for me personally.

Old 16th November 2022, 07:16 AM
Depend on you Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by xLuna&1LOVE View Post
I like LOVEppears, it is such a classic album, even though I don't have special memories about it. I just love how early 00s J-Pop it is.

End Roll is definetely in my top 5 favorite Ayu-songs. I also voted for And then, immature, TO BE, WHATEVER and monochrome
Doesn't mean I am not enjoying the other songs. My selection just stands out for me personally.
definitely a classic album, just in general! regardless of country or genre, i think it’s a record that’s stood the test of time and has inspired many stars that have come after ayu (for example rina sawayama has explicitly come out and said how much ayu and this album have inspired her and her work!!)

also this is a great selection of songs, this album has so many amazing tracks i couldnt just pick one or two 😭🙏🏼

Old 17th November 2022, 06:39 PM
SURREAL H-Initiate

I completely agree that every track is fantastic. I can listen to it in full over and over again.

It was the first “old” Ayu album I bought after becoming a fan in 2004. (Weird journey. Memorial address had just been released, I became a “real” fan between it and Moments, didn’t buy Moments but liked it enough to be interested in buying Memorial address. Then, the first single I purchased was Inspire, then skipped CAROLS for some reason lol, then bought MY STORY. Then I finally purchased LOVEppears lol.)

And while I knew all the tracks by the time I got it, I listened to that thing like it was a brand new album lol. I used to sleep with it on, nightly! Lol

Then, from STEP you, I purchased everything haha.

So LOVEppears kind of really sealed the deal for me with Ayu. Brilliant album.

"Remember, don't let others dictate your music taste. If you like whatever you're listening to, keep listening to it."

Old 18th November 2022, 04:34 AM
Depend on you Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoxjapanxfan View Post
I completely agree that every track is fantastic. I can listen to it in full over and over again.

It was the first “old” Ayu album I bought after becoming a fan in 2004. (Weird journey. Memorial address had just been released, I became a “real” fan between it and Moments, didn’t buy Moments but liked it enough to be interested in buying Memorial address. Then, the first single I purchased was Inspire, then skipped CAROLS for some reason lol, then bought MY STORY. Then I finally purchased LOVEppears lol.)

And while I knew all the tracks by the time I got it, I listened to that thing like it was a brand new album lol. I used to sleep with it on, nightly! Lol

Then, from STEP you, I purchased everything haha.

So LOVEppears kind of really sealed the deal for me with Ayu. Brilliant album.
i'm so envious that u have been a fan for so long!! then again 2004 was the year i was born, and i wasn't here yet in 1999 so that wasn't really possible LMAO. i would love to see ur ayu collection, especially ur copy of loveppears!!

Old 27th April 2023, 10:39 PM
MY STORY Initiate

I can’t skip any songs on this album. Every single one (even the interludes) are my favorites really. It was one of the first albums (along with A Song for ××, Duty and (miss)understood) that I listened from her in 2006 and I was impressed by how amazing it was. It's still one of my all time favorite albums from her. A pure masterpiece for sure. ❤️

You can find me from these too:
~ Facebook
~ Instagram
~ AO3

Old 11th May 2023, 06:25 AM
SCAR Initiate

I've been on a kick for listening to appears. That song is so timeless.
Old 25th November 2023, 07:56 PM
ayu trance Initiate

I'm delightfully surprised that most people voted for "And then", even though, I voted for "WHATEVER" Obviously, "End roll" and "monochrome" remain fan favourites as well ^^ I just love Ayu's mesmerizing vocals on "WHATEVER" and her facial expressions during TV performances!

Tags
1999, album, anniversary, appears, loveppears