[Koda Kumi] The 189th Thread — W FACE inside/outside + Driving Hit's 7 - Page 5 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat > Artists & Bands

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 21st March 2017, 10:21 PM
ayu-mi-x II Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaled kalil View Post
W FACE already sold more than WOML's first month! Yay. It might hit 50k by the end of the month.

New certified Gold for Kumi:

Gold (100,000):
Koda Kumi – Ienai yo (10/13/10)

http://www.riaj.or.jp/f/data/cert/hs.html
How random! Was the song performed anywhere? I don't remember any TV performances.

倖田來未
浜崎あゆみ
中森明菜
松田聖子
鈴木亜美

Old 21st March 2017, 10:50 PM
INSPIRE Initiate

Well, the original song itself was a hit, and maybe it was cheaper for a while?

instagram | last.fm | tumblr | jpop tumblr | twitter | peeproom | goodreads

Old 22nd March 2017, 12:21 AM
monochrome Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvina View Post
Kuu revealed one of the first tour goods today on playroom:

Really cool, but yellow isn't my colour. *sob*
Same. I don't want to look like a banana.
Old 22nd March 2017, 01:03 AM
still alone Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi-Chan View Post
Just listened to Outside. Am I the only one who thinks it's beyond annoying? I listened to it during my work out and I stopped working out after just 35 minutes because I was honestly exhausted listening to all that noise and needed a little silence.
W FACE would have had potential, but this "yes bitch" line is so annoying I can't. It's noise. Ultraviolet sounds like a thousand other Koda songs, but is quite nice compared to the rest of the album. Insane is the best one imo since the fake rock anthem feel of it during the chorus gives it at least a little individuality. Heartless is so out of place, what was that? And where the hell is the bass in Bassline? If you call a song Bassline you damn fucking give it a damn great bassline. Furthermore, what is it with this fake big band instruments style in mostly every second song? Is it supposed to sound "artsy"? If you want a song to sound like real music, you better use real instruments.
I was so looking forward to this album, but after this one is again, like the last one, mostly "cool" "artsy" uninspired sounds aka noise mixed with uninspired beats I guess I will give up on Koda.
Is Inside any better or will I waste my time listening to it?
Well I had similar feelings as you towards Outside. I also hated that yes bitch cringe.
But I did enjoy Inside. But I wouldn't say that it's her new best album. The consensus here seems to be that it is bland and boring. I enjoyed it because I tend to like Koda Kumi's softer side. It's worth giving a try I think.
Old 22nd March 2017, 02:43 AM
ayu trance Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavopc View Post
^ I totally thought of you when I saw it
<3

I really like Yellow! Can't wait to see the other goodies.

ARENA TOUR 2015 A Cirque de Minuit ~Mayonaka no Circus~ @ Saitama Super Arena 2015.04.11/12
ARENA TOUR 2018 ~POWER of MUSIC 20th Anniversary~ @ Saitama Super Arena 2018.04.07
Tokyo Rainbow Pride @ Yoyogi Park 2018.05.06
a-nation' 2018 @ Ajinomoto Stadium 2018.08.26
LIVE TOUR -TROUBLE- 2018-2019 A @ Nakano Sunplaza 2019.02.06
ayumi hamasaki 21st anniversary -POWER of A^3- @ Saitama Super Arena 2019.04.07
Old 22nd March 2017, 12:42 PM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

After two weeks time I now want to share my opinion about the albums a bit more elaborately.

Starting with inside:

01 BRIDGET SONG - One of my favourites! A happy song and with the clapping and whistling at the end also something quite new for Kuu.

02 Bring It On - Really like the instrumental for this song, especially in HiRes. Maybe I'm biased as I've seen it live already at WOML Tour, but it's a fun song.

03 喜びのかけら - Didn't like it at first, but just soon after I grew to like it so much! Love the progression of the melody. The lyrics are quite poetic. Such a nice spring song.

04 Stand by you - Here's the not so good part of the album starting. Stand by you is sweet, but such a typical and boring love song. The lyrics are pretty direct, especially unsual for a Japanese (that's a plus point for the song!). Though I will never listen to it, just like e.g. to Stay.

05 好きでして - As a stand alone track, I quite like this song. I catch myself nodding to it while listening. But in combination with Stand by you before and Kimi Omoi after it's sooooo dragging.

06 君想い - I can see why people like it, but it's such an unintresting song for me. Just like Koishikute. It's too long, just like Stand by you, and I never listen to it.

07 On my way - A really mature ballad for Kuu. I indeed feel like Kuu is constantly smiling while singing the song and in contrast the lyrics are so doubtful. Love the surprising guitar break - something new for Kuu's ballads.

08 What's Up - That's my kind of pop-rock song! On par for me with Poppin' love cocktail and Hashire!, which I both love. And so much better than e.g. LALALALALA.

09 Promise you - Such a strong pop song! Lyrics are awesome and the structure of the song so powerful. Both BRIDGET SONG and Promise you are by Hi-yunk. I seriously hope she keeps working with him on songs similar like those in the future as they're both my favourites. He already did All For You and Life So God!! and those were alright as well. I also do feel like he could produce a hit for her.

10 My fun - It did grew on me a bit, but I still think it sounds a bit strange. Lyrics are like a continuation of Promise you, that's nice. Works really well as the ending song of the album.

And outside:

01 W FACE - A great theme song and a good opener for setting the mood of the album. Lyrics are nice and I love how in trend it is right now. Full hitting urban and therefor something fresh for her disco.

02 Ultraviolet - A high energy song! Also the messiest and most reminiscent song of her past on the album. Can see this becoming a concert staple as hyping up the audience like POP DIVA, theme and energy are about the same. I really like the positive lyrics.

03 Insane - It's just surprising how well this song works as a whole, even after some time! Instrumental is nice, really love when the violin kicks in e.g. She tried something here and it worked!

04 Damn real - It's a love song, but with a different twist than usual. Lyrics are awesome and I love her use of the colour blue here. Musicwise the verses are heavenly, the chorus is a bit weaker. Still nice to listen to.

05 Heartless - The weakest song on the album. I don't have a problem with it being a ballad and placed here, that fits. Her vocals being so raw and rough works in the verses, but not that well in the chorus. That powerful screaming worked better in songs like Dance In The Rain. Lyrics are actually awesome (being too harsh to yourself, I can relate so much), but her use of English isn't that good here sadly.

06 Bassline - I don't love the song as much anymore as in the beginning. I love the use of her voice in the song and the progression in the chorus. It's jzst it doesn't always grab me like before. Still a good song though.

07 Shhh! - Prefer the live version since she performed it, but it fits very well in the album here.

08 Bangerang - The biggest surprise after some time now. I love it so much now, can listen to it anywhere and anytime! It's similar to Bassline in theme and music, but it's my favoured song now.

09 Wicked Girls - Two words - pure fun! Interesting note is Kuu's use of words from the urban dictionary - first Lippy, now bridget and wicked. But always fitting till now.

10 Cupcake feat. AKLO - As I already said once, a guilty pleasure for me. It's shortness is working to its favour. The whole last part of the album (Bangerang - Wicked Girls - Cupcake) is so much fun to listen to! I can't find something here I don't like, it just flows so well. Just leaning back and enjoying!

Overall a great project!
Outside is the better album of both, but take those three songs in the middle out and it's strong as well.
It's better than I thought it would be for sure. Expected it to content more songs like Stand by you or Your Love and Joyful from Trick.
Outside is a really trendy urban album in western terms (evolving around trap and funk elements) and pretty outstanding for the J-Pop mainstream market right now.
For me it feels like they really took their time to produce the songs this time. They all sound so - well, unexciting in a positive way, if you know what I mean. Less loud than the albums before?
They're almost all interesting to listen to. The focus on her voice works in most of the songs imo. She at least really tried to vary her use of it.
Bon Voyage keeps being the weakest album in recent years.
Really stoked for the upcoming Live Tour and so happy I can attend it!

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Old 22nd March 2017, 12:47 PM
Depend on you Initiate

Hello guys!!!!

When the tour goodies are used to be revealed??? 2 weeks before the tour start?
Old 22nd March 2017, 04:12 PM
Initiate

Let me ask you guys a question, does anyone have one of these performances in HD, or at least SD to share, trade or whatever you wanna call?

Ai no Uta [Music Station Super Live] 2007.12.21
Ai no Uta [Music Station] 2007.09.14
I'll be there [Music Station] 2006.07.17
Promise [Music Station] 2005.09.05
Someday [Music Station] 2006.02.24
WIND [Music Station] 2006.03.31

These are the only files that I'm missing and I used to have Someday in HD but I lost it.
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:20 PM
theme of a-nation '03 Initiate

Quote:
01 W FACE (Lazy Rich Remix)
02 MONEY IN MY BAG (Starfvckers Remix)
03 Insane (Perk Pietrek Remix)
04 Ultraviolet (Yamato & DMD Remix)
05 Cupcake feat. AKLO (Retrohandz Remix)
06 Wicked Girls (Daddy’s Groove Remix)
07 HOTEL (Plastik Funk Remix)
08 愛のうた (JAXX DA FISHWORKS Remix)
09 恋のつぼみ (JAXX DA FISHWORKS Remix)
10 Damn real (NINESTATESFLEX Remix)
11 キューティーハニー (JAXX DA FISHWORKS Remix)
12 Shhh! (TEXTOR Remix)
13 Dance In The Rain (TEXTOR Remix)
14 Lippy (FIGHT CLVB Remix)
15 Bassline (Flatdisk Remix)
Where are my babyz Like It, Fake Tongue, Bangerang and Piece In The Puzzle
Guess they agreed about them being perfect as they are

Shhh remix is sounding fire! and the WFACE one sounds fresh too

That yellow hoodie looks awesome tbqh

IG | YT | PR

Old 23rd March 2017, 05:42 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

I don't know what people mean with noise? It's upbeat music with electro touch - pretty much everything upbeat these days is like that. Other than that I think "noise" is something very old-fashioned to say - a term parents used to describe Rock in the 60s XD
Old 23rd March 2017, 07:19 PM

^When I say noise I actually mean it's noise. xD Well the electro touch you mentioned is what bothers me. The songs sound as if she took every chliché electro sound that is popular right now and merged it with third class leftover demos Rihanna didn't want. WOML had exactly the same problem.
Don't get me wrong, I love electronic music, when done right. It's obvious that the demos she got weren't great songs in any way and that no one who actually knows what they are doing was arranging the tracks. Kuu took a song, had a specific sound she liked from western artists, and let someone put it over the track. The "electro touch" simply doesn't fit with the rest of the arrangements.
Kuu never was a great artist let alone a musician and she never will be. I'm not listening to her because she puts out music that will be worth remembering in 20 years. But she has an amazing timbre to her voice and is able (or was able) to put out great party anthems. Somehow with being in the industry for quite some time now she seems to think that she can do the work other people did on her songs on her own. Truth is she can't and that's why WOML and W FACE are as horrible as they are.
Old 23rd March 2017, 10:06 PM
WHATEVER Initiate

Quote:
^When I say noise I actually mean it's noise. xD Well the electro touch you mentioned is what bothers me. The songs sound as if she took every chliché electro sound that is popular right now and merged it with third class leftover demos Rihanna didn't want. WOML had exactly the same problem.
Don't get me wrong, I love electronic music, when done right. It's obvious that the demos she got weren't great songs in any way and that no one who actually knows what they are doing was arranging the tracks. Kuu took a song, had a specific sound she liked from western artists, and let someone put it over the track. The "electro touch" simply doesn't fit with the rest of the arrangements.
Kuu never was a great artist let alone a musician and she never will be. I'm not listening to her because she puts out music that will be worth remembering in 20 years. But she has an amazing timbre to her voice and is able (or was able) to put out great party anthems. Somehow with being in the industry for quite some time now she seems to think that she can do the work other people did on her songs on her own. Truth is she can't and that's why WOML and W FACE are as horrible as they are.
Literally everything you said was subjective, not a fact. You are not the authority of Good Music. I'm all for people having opinions and expressing them, but a board statement like, "Kuu will never be a great musician"? Are you kidding me? Maybe not to you, but her sold out tours (true fact) would suggest otherwise.

introduce a little anarchy

Last edited by a❤martian; 23rd March 2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 24th March 2017, 01:36 AM
Trauma Initiate

^Well, the fact that her tours are sold out means she a good performer, not neccessarily a good musician. I agree that some of what was said is subjetive, but there's no reason to get on the defensive.

I do think the quality of her demos decreased a lot since KINGDOM/TRICK. And when you say POP DIVA is better than MONEY IN MY BAG, is just because MIMB is really bad.

I'm glad she's making music she likes and some people enjoy it, but the songs are (probably) leftovers and rejected demos.

Old 24th March 2017, 03:54 AM
theme of a-nation '03 Initiate

Quote:
Kuu never was a great artist let alone a musician and she never will be. I'm not listening to her because she puts out music that will be worth remembering in 20 years.
I think you went way too far with this statement. She IS a great artist and obviously a musician. Maybe you are not so into her and you're making a general assumption of your feelings right now, but time has proved that Kumi is capable of many things as an artist. Otherwise 50 000 people wouldn't be buying her stuff right now.

I don't get some people in forums, they seem not to like certain artists yet they still come to their threads and express all their hate. It's easy like this, stop listening to them. I was myself like this for a long time trying to like Namie's music and understand all the attention she was getting in Japan, but I couldn't so I gave up. (Even so I consider her a great artist till now)

Music is subjective and we dont need to be so harsh on artists when we DO know they put a lot of effort on their projects.

IG | YT | PR

Last edited by maze; 24th March 2017 at 05:56 AM.
Old 24th March 2017, 04:10 AM
from your letter Initiate

Lol, so much bashing.And here I am, jamming to outside like no tomorrow. It's all about tastes I guess. I think the fact that W FACE outsold WOML and that both albums charted #1 and #2 at some point pretty much proves how well liked they were . Koda's still got game and I'm lovin it.

you attack my heart.

Old 24th March 2017, 04:24 AM
LIKE A CRYSTAL H-Initiate

@ Chibi-Chan ; Sorry Lina but I have to disagree with what you said on Kuu

Kuu worked very hard to get to where she's at now & I think what you said on her not being 'a great artist let alone a musician and she never will' is a really harsh remark

Granted that not everything in Kuu's music discography is 100% perfect but others will beg to differ that . Likewise 5-10 years down the road , Kuu will still be remembered be it music or non music wise

This year is Kuu's 17th year in the music business and she definitely is doing something right to sustain herself for so long . People still love & respect her

As for you saying that Kuu's music is nothing but mere 'noise' , I take that over other artistes' songs that basically is just them screaming non stop into the microphone that's accompanied by loud random melodies

Dedicated BRZ fan since 2008 debut single ♪ | team brz member ♥ | BREAKERZ BIRTHDAY PARTY 2024 ♥

My JPop Blog | My Twitter | BRZ Thread 47 | BRZ LiveJournal | BRZ Official Site

Old 24th March 2017, 04:34 AM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtka-chan View Post

I'm glad she's making music she likes and some people enjoy it, but the songs are (probably) leftovers and rejected demos.
That's just an assumption from your side, you don't know that. In fact, we do know some of the songs were written for her or even with her together ( e.g. Cupcake and My fun). So please stay to what we know.

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Old 24th March 2017, 05:53 AM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

People shouldn't forget she is a pop artist, on top of that she is Japanese - her sound is pretty much made up from those two things, but saying she is not "an artist" is far beyond ignorant. She composes, she envisions, she writes lyrics and build her image. If you like it or not, is a taste thing, but she is not there to cater anyone specific.
I for once don't like the artist "Hundertwasser" but I can't just say "he was no artist because his buildings looks like left-over color was put together" - he achieved a lot, and as people pointed out. so did Kumi and the image and performances are still part of the artistry of an pop artist, so even if people go there because of her performances, it makes her an artist (+ I doubt I would want to say someone whos music I dislike) .
Old 24th March 2017, 06:29 AM
appears Initiate

I personally consider Kumi a great artist. She seems very involved in her work. And on live you can see how much she enjoys it, specially the ballads, and of course all the jazzy/rearranged versions of her songs. One just can't deny this woman loves what she does. And I respect her for that, even if l don't like/consider bad the final product.(just like her last 3 albums)
Ps. I'm curious what 50,000 people maze is talking about, because almost all the fans have bought both albums, and that makes about 20k people in the end
Old 24th March 2017, 06:31 AM
still alone Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingoutloud89 View Post
People shouldn't forget she is a pop artist, on top of that she is Japanese - her sound is pretty much made up from those two things, but saying she is not "an artist" is far beyond ignorant. She composes, she envisions, she writes lyrics and build her image.
This. Also, those of us saying kuu isn't a "musician," vocal technique and execution is just as important and intricate as any other instrument. And Kuu's got pipes. I think it's important to respect any artist, especially if they're genuine individuals who are serious about their craft.
Closed Thread

Tags
hottest asian artist, koda kumi, koda kumiko, queen of live