Why did Japan move on from the pop divas? - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat

Notices

Old 2nd May 2021, 03:43 PM
from your letter Initiate

Why did Japan move on from the pop divas?

back in the 00s the pop divas dominated j-pop, Ayu, Namie, Utada, Kumi, Boa etc. were all selling very well. Nowadays thy seem to completely ignore these kind of artists, why is that?
Old 4th May 2021, 01:27 AM
No way to say Initiate

Nishino Kana was also pretty big. and Kyary Pamyu Pamyu

I hope we'll get a new big star very-very soon. jpop's been quite boring lately

ayumi hamasaki COUNTDOWN LIVE 2012-2013 A ~WAKE UP~. Dec 29/30/31, 2012. Yoyogi National Gymnasium, Tokyo.
ayumi hamasaki 15th Anniversary TOUR ~A BEST LIVE~. Apr 13/14, 2013. Saitama Super Arena, Saitama.
ayumi hamasaki 15th Anniversary TOUR ~A BEST LIVE~. July 27/28, 2013. Yoyogi National Gymnasium, Tokyo.
ayumi hamasaki ARENA TOUR 2016 A ~MADE IN JAPAN~. May 22, 2016. XEBIO Arena, Sendai.
ayumi hamasaki ARENA TOUR 2016 A ~MADE IN JAPAN~. July 18, 2016. Osaka-Jo Hall, Osaka.
ayumi hamasaki COUNTDOWN LIVE 2016-2017 A『Just the beginning -20-』. Dec 29, 2016. Yoyogi National Gymnasium, Tokyo.
ayumi hamasaki 『Just the beginning -20- TOUR 2017』. July 15/17, 2017. Osaka-Jo Hall, Osaka
ayumi hamasaki 『Just the beginning -20- TOUR 2017』. January 9, 2018. ROHM Theatre, Kyoto
Old 4th May 2021, 03:17 PM
LIKE A CRYSTAL H-Initiate

Because the current generation in Japan is not into towards Japanese solo acts any longer even though a few of them still command a lot of respect with some still going on strong after so many years

It's unfortunate frankly cos not a lot are into Johnnys , LDH , let alone the giant AKB family tree

That said , there're a few male solo acts that're doing fine & are also having the same issues as the female solo acts too

Dedicated BRZ fan since 2008 debut single ♪ | team brz member ♥ | BREAKERZ BIRTHDAY PARTY 2024 ♥

My JPop Blog | My Twitter | BRZ Thread 47 | BRZ LiveJournal | BRZ Official Site

Old 10th May 2021, 07:36 AM
1 LOVE Initiate

Aimyon, Lisa and maybe Aimer are big female solo artists, but I don't now if they are in the Divas' category ? Maybe not

TWICE

Old 11th May 2021, 02:04 AM
Two of us Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthezone View Post
back in the 00s the pop divas dominated j-pop, Ayu, Namie, Utada, Kumi, Boa etc. were all selling very well. Nowadays thy seem to completely ignore these kind of artists, why is that?
I think "big" is not in right now in Japan. Utada is still doing well with her stripped-down, low-key style. But Kumi, BoA, Ayu (and Kyari Pyamu Pyamu) are all "big." Big effects. Big visuals. Loud music. Super drama. In-your-face sex appeal. Huge hair and ostentatious money consumption.

Young people in Japan now seem to like . . . well, "quiet" isn't the right word, with Ado's angry rock being such a big deal. But the anger is a common man's anger ("screw all this pressure!") with no flashy star in the center or expensive effects. Japan now is worried about money and the future, so it's hard to enjoy the same things they did when on top of the world and feeling flush like twenty years ago.
Old 15th May 2021, 11:13 PM
SURREAL H-Initiate

A lot of the popular acts now are extensions of other media as well, such as the huge rise in voice actors becoming hugely successful singing acts, as well as the continued success of “anime song” singers.

There’s also a kind of push for anonymity from the singers themselves. Animated videos instead of featuring the artist, hiding their face behind masks/hair, etc.

Japanese youth aren’t very vocal about current topics, so I wonder if it’s through their music choices that they’re expressing their uncertainty for their future?

15-20 years ago, while nowhere near the bubble, Japan was still doing quite well. In 2008 is when it all came to a full stop (Lehman Brothers), then 2011 earthquake, then 2020 pandemic. Essentially three huge economic crushing events in succession for the past three decades... it’s kinda crazy. Now they’ll have to also deal with the huge economic loss from the Olympics.

Female sexuality and empowerment is also quite repressed at the moment. There’s even an illustrated book popular in elementary schools and middle schools called Kawaii Rules (kawaii no rule) and it literally has portions in it that look like they could’ve been lifted from a 1950s housewife guide. Like how to “bend over properly” if you drop something as to not look “tired or defeated”, or how to “softly” recommend something if you disagree with an idea. I was shocked when I saw it being discussed on TV.

"Remember, don't let others dictate your music taste. If you like whatever you're listening to, keep listening to it."

Last edited by tokyoxjapanxfan; 15th May 2021 at 11:36 PM.
Old 16th May 2021, 12:09 AM
ANGEL'S SONG Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUKARI View Post
Nishino Kana was also pretty big. and Kyary Pamyu Pamyu

I hope we'll get a new big star very-very soon. jpop's been quite boring lately
I don't have faith no more the current stars are so boring and they've seen to have move on that direction for a while

My first J-pop cover album is out on Spotify! Please check it out!
Old 17th May 2021, 02:01 AM
from your letter Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenPang View Post
Because the current generation in Japan is not into towards Japanese solo acts any longer even though a few of them still command a lot of respect with some still going on strong after so many years

It's unfortunate frankly cos not a lot are into Johnnys , LDH , let alone the giant AKB family tree

That said , there're a few male solo acts that're doing fine & are also having the same issues as the female solo acts too
i wouldnt say they arent into solo artists. theres actually a lot of successful solo artists but they arent big celebrities anymore like Ayu, Kuu or Namie. those idol groups arent that popular with the GP anymore. K-pop is bigger with the GP