FLOWER & Mad World (Short ver. MVs on YouTube) - Page 3 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Old 17th June 2016, 11:53 AM
July 1st Initiate

The only reproach I could make for the FLOWER pv is since the lyrics are full of metaphors, I expected a more poetic video, like JEWEL (not with diamonds though...) or Part of Me. Especially when she screams "Like a flower I wanna grow thorns" I imagined her standing in a bush of thorny branches (hello JEWEL!). The visuals of this album could have been sooooooo aesthetic.

But we all expect something different, she would never plainly satisfy everyone of us.

Old 17th June 2016, 12:17 PM
Daybreak Guardian

Oh my, I'm just speechless right now. Both videos are amazing, I love how raw FLOWER looks, her outfit and makeup are beautiful and the angry acting suits the song perfectly On the other hand, Mad World is as beautiful as the song. I'm SO happy with how this album turned out!
Old 17th June 2016, 12:21 PM
ayu-mi-x Initiate

I like the stage part in Mad World a lot and those flashes of past video material at the background rolling...it's pretty touching. Also the song and MV seem to fit to each other well. What it comes to FLOWER...well, I like how ayu looks in the beginning (oriental style), but her over-acting and amateur style (which it's intentional for sure) don't appeal that much. But let's see how full MVs turn out.

Old 17th June 2016, 12:33 PM
End of the World Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by js_surrealism View Post
For those of you (like me) who held on to the tiniest glimmer of hope that she would do something interesting for a change (since the music on the album was so promising) -- well, tough luck. Maybe on her 20th anniversary >.>
Maybe, who knows. I think she gave up on meaningful works a long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayumi Romania View Post
I think this PVs are bad and very rushed. I think this PVs were made in 1 or 2 days and looks like an amateurs work, nothing special and nothing interesting. It's really bad because the song have potential to make amazing PVs and I was expecting something better.
She had already PVs with similar concept. I'm not impressed with any of those. She's trying to show something meaningful but I feel like she's trying too hard and in effect we're getting very "fake" impression.
Old 17th June 2016, 12:48 PM
Two of us Initiate

NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. Low budget ok.. but no creativity... Mad world is cute.. it reminds me of Pride but Flower? One word: STATIC. No dynamic... I miss pv like Microphone or Days or even Carols.

Even if I'm born again to someone else
I'll start a journey to seek for you

Old 17th June 2016, 12:52 PM
poker face Initiate

I also expected much more cuts in FLOWER, since the instrumentals scream for changes in the video. I had rather made MAD WORLD a one shot. One shot actually fits more slower songs (like sweet scar). Her acting fits here perfectly. I can imagine that she looked like that during the recording of FLOWER .
Mad World gave me chills too *_* .
In Mad World the middle part was cut, but the video continued normally :/
Old 17th June 2016, 01:02 PM
WHATEVER Initiate

I love Mad World, it's like she is addressing how people always compare her to her past peak era.
Old 17th June 2016, 01:08 PM
Depend on you Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by erika_ayu View Post
I love Mad World, it's like she is addressing how people always compare her to her past peak era.
+1

But how does it relate to the lyrics?

The lyrics are about living in a bad world, a bad society... and the PV is about being a prisoner to her old "ayumi hamasaki" persona. I don't get the connection?
Old 17th June 2016, 01:17 PM
Humming 7/4 Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baernash View Post
Maybe, who knows. I think she gave up on meaningful works a long time ago.

She had already PVs with similar concept. I'm not impressed with any of those. She's trying to show something meaningful but I feel like she's trying too hard and in effect we're getting very "fake" impression.
Just because it holds no meaning to you, it does not mean it has no meaning at all.

Follow me @njanjayrp

Old 17th June 2016, 01:25 PM
BEST Initiate

I'm really curious to see how they both turn out in full.

It's so weird, but I feel like the styling at the beginning of FLOWER, I can barely recognize her face. It seems like it'll be an interesting video. I just think it would be more impactful if we didn't have Step by step. The whole struggle/rebelling/hair cutting thing just feels very reminiscent to that concept.
Old 17th June 2016, 01:29 PM
Voyage Initiate

To summarize what I saw:

Old 17th June 2016, 01:30 PM
Depend on you Initiate

oh well...

TUMBLR ϟ LAST.FM ϟ FACEBOOK

Old 17th June 2016, 01:46 PM
July 1st Initiate

I don't *love* Mad World as a song, but the video looks all right.

As for FLOWER, I was hoping for a more stereotypical Japanese traditional vibe. I hope the one-cut is executed well.

What I could probably complain about is that she only selectively lip-syncs to the lyrics. I mean. It would have been better if, in the throes of all that *dramatic thrashing and cryinging and actinging*, she would stick to actually mouthing the lyrics. It just looks so off to me otherwise.
Old 17th June 2016, 01:52 PM
winding road H-Initiate

I really like both MVs! They're simple, but no bad at all

Old 17th June 2016, 02:07 PM
Two of us Initiate

FLOWER PV gives me chills.
Old 17th June 2016, 02:11 PM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

I really like both short versions. Looking forward to the full videos!
Actually I even like FLOWER better than Mad World.
It got me thinking...her appearance (make up, styling) and also her behaviour at the beginning is very Japanese, also the butterflies used on her hair and dress is one of the most used symbols in Japanese (pop) art culture. And then she goes on destroying the dress, cutting her hair, later smudging her Japanese make up... you seriously could interpret it as a really harsh critique on Japan in general.
And then the location, looking like a hotel room. Made me think of the time she "was running away" from Japan and her apology, also as a reason to end her first marriage.
Hm. Quite troubling.

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Old 17th June 2016, 02:12 PM
End of the World Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by njanjayrp View Post
Just because it holds no meaning to you, it does not mean it has no meaning at all.
We can always say that something has meaning even if we can't see it. I think saying that they are "emotionless" would be a better word than "meaningless". Her old works were able to makes me feel something: happiness, sadness... even made me cry. Those videos are just "emotionally fake". I like concept of "FLOWER" (kinda like "MOON" and "Don't look back") but I don't like Ayu's acting (overdramatic). "Mad World" has wasted potential (footage reminds me of "CAROLS" and "HEAVEN" or even "Angel") - there's something cheasy in it. Some people said new PVs are cheap but you can make "cheap" PV which is still cool ("Last minute").
Old 17th June 2016, 02:19 PM
Sky high Protector

Give me the full videos now!!!!
I was surprised about Flower. The setting of the beginning is very similar to some of her other pvs but at the same time, I feel a very different vibe. The dress is wonderful(I'm a bit sad that she tore it). The scene in front of the mirror could remind Don't Look Back but I find it even stronger because she's doing the action in our presence and here she does it for fighting and not because she's crying in the "shadow". The message is very strong. And I hope that fans'll respect her wishes.

Mad World is amazing too. I love how she stands and sings straightforward in jeans. ♥ I love the contrast between the sadness of the song and the happy moments of the concert videos.

I'm in love with the direction of her pvs since last year. They're well-executed, meaningful and with a touch of modernity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow_smile View Post
Apparently in the news report they said that she cuts her hair and rips her dress because she's trying to get rid of the lies she surrounded herself with, and also to get rid of the feelings that restrain her. I wan't the one translating this though.
That's what I though when I saw the video. Thanks for confirming it.
Old 17th June 2016, 02:30 PM
poker face Initiate

I'm so impressed with both of them! considering we got 2 brand new videos at the exact same time is a big deal. Most musicians release 1 every few months if you're lucky.

I love how dark and glamours they both are. They're exactly what I'm always searching for in music. And Ayu looks extra sublime in both of them.
Old 17th June 2016, 03:01 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baernash View Post
We can always say that something has meaning even if we can't see it. I think saying that they are "emotionless" would be a better word than "meaningless". Her old works were able to makes me feel something: happiness, sadness... even made me cry. Those videos are just "emotionally fake". I like concept of "FLOWER" (kinda like "MOON" and "Don't look back") but I don't like Ayu's acting (overdramatic). "Mad World" has wasted potential (footage reminds me of "CAROLS" and "HEAVEN" or even "Angel") - there's something cheasy in it. Some people said new PVs are cheap but you can make "cheap" PV which is still cool ("Last minute").
You are just projecting your own dislike for the videos as they were factual aspects of it when they aren't. She is obviously trying to convey a certain idea and a certain emotion with it, so you can't say it's "meanless" or "emotionless" objective facts. You can say you don't like it though.

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Last edited by Andrenekoi; 17th June 2016 at 03:10 PM.

Tags
flower, m(a)de in japan, mad world, made in japan