Does Ayumi know English? - Page 2 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Enquiries

Notices

Old 22nd July 2004, 12:20 PM
End roll Initiate

her english accent is difficult to understand
anyway she will be better if she learns
Old 24th July 2004, 02:55 AM
Gut it-pez Initiate

Awww~ she won't be crossing over any time soon then...
Old 25th July 2004, 10:28 AM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibinina4
[color=purple]
Or you can look at it this way: Ayu is "fluent" in engrish, not English. (see Real me PV, Everywhere Nowhere, Dolls, forgiveness, LOVEppears commercial where she says "Hamasaki Ayumi. New ah-roo-bah-mooh. Love ah-peee-haaas.") But at least she tries.
That's not Engrish is it? I thought Arubamu is a real Japanese word.
Old 25th July 2004, 11:04 AM
NEVER EVER Initiate

haha... if ayu had used the dictionary then that would be great cos some of the song titles look superb to mi.. haha.. but i tink ayu remaining as ayu and utada remaining as utada would be better than merging them together as ayutada... :p
Old 28th July 2004, 02:51 AM
UNITE! Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoma
I wonder... Does Ayu title her songs herself or does she use like an English Consultant or something?
I bet she just picks random words from an english dictionary for songs lol.
Old 28th July 2004, 03:00 AM
Wishing Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoma
I wonder... Does Ayu title her songs herself or does she use like an English Consultant or something?
We've been told that someone at avex helps Ayu choose the song titles.
Old 30th July 2004, 06:32 AM
P.S II Initiate

the only thing that explains me utada going to a eua career before ayumi is that she knows english. ayu REALLY gotta learn it...
Old 30th July 2004, 07:15 AM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmskalmn
We've been told that someone at avex helps Ayu choose the song titles.
No sjiz. 'Here Ayu, this sounds nice.' 'Kumquat?' 'I'd do it.' 'Okay!' *runs off, cheering*
Old 2nd August 2004, 03:03 PM
LIMIT Initiate

I'm sure Ayu is trying though .
Old 25th August 2004, 07:11 AM
Sexy little things Protector

Well, I guess it's kinda like any language. I mean, it's almost impossible (well, at least in the States...) not to know a few phrases in Spanish. Kinda like most people studying Japanese can know a lot but be pronouncing it completely weird. :/

But c'mon, at least it's not as bad as Gackt's. >_<;; Ayu sounded like a local American compared to him when they sang "Silent Night." ^o^

However, on the Utada subject: Utada IS fluent in English. She has a CD coming out in American in October and is having a concert in New York. Unlike Ayu, Hikki was born in American (New York to be precise) so she has no problems.
Old 25th August 2004, 06:53 PM
SURREAL Initiate

yeah, hikki was born in the States. Would be ashaming if she didn't speak english properly. And I don't think it's bad to speak Engrish. An accent is given by birth and is very difficult to get rid off. as long as they speak understandable english, it's ok right? no offence, but english with pakistanian accent is often much more unclear, while grammatically perfect. Just like my english, it has a slight dutch accent, and I just can't get rid of it. even though i learned english through american sitcoms.

But Ayu speaking English, i don't think so. Basic things, of course. But I don't think she could actually have a conversation in English.
Old 25th August 2004, 07:28 PM
Prologue Initiate

um, i dont understand...So these sites were to show that some have a hard time to speak/type english. or did ayumi have a part in making em? Cuz it brings up differ sites...

Old 25th August 2004, 09:32 PM
poker face Initiate

To be honest, Ayu's accent isn't bad at all. It's much better than those who learned English the governmental textbook way (i.e. through the Japanese pronunciation of English, as opposed to the English pronunciation of English). She can pronounce sounds that most can't, for example, like the consonants which don't exist in natural Japanese. Even more awesomely, she can pick out the difference in vowel sounds (which is the most difficult part of learning a new language's accent). I don't think she knows English, per se, but I'm sure she knows more than minor greetings and phrases. I doubt school English did much for her, because she wasn't much of a student in the first place (and didn't she drop out?).

But it's great that she wants to learn more to be more independent with it. Maybe she could improve her accent well enough to sing full songs in English up to American standards and be a success much like Celine Dion was before she spoke English. Tatu had mild (albeit... very... mild) success with their limited English, too. Still, it's just a thought, and probably wouldn't happen at this late point in her career.

"Arubamu" is a Japanese word (though it obviously comes from English), and the younger generations of Japanese people would probably understand "nyuu" (or "new") in context. "Sankyuu" is also a common Japanese phrase among younger generations. It's kind of cute and quirky and playful, compared to the true Japanese word.

Duty // You can see the end, however, you will not give in until you've reached it. You are strong and have a deep connection with the things around you. You will continue to live as you like until the end comes for you, and not a moment sooner. // Which Ayu song best describes you?
brought to you by Quizilla

Old 26th August 2004, 05:44 AM
ever free Initiate

in Panasonic's "Eye Love Music" commercial....the slogen was sooo perfect...especially "music".....she did not say "miu-zi-ku"....she said "music".... that's awesome.... LoL
Old 26th August 2004, 06:43 AM
Banned

I think she's faking her Engrish. I bet she knows it fluently and is fooling all of us. Well, except me, of course.
Old 26th August 2004, 09:06 AM
Evolution Xavier

Since Japanese language were restricted to merely not more than 100 types of vowel pronounciations, it's indeed that they have problems learning foreign languages.

Plus, they only start to learn English on grade 7 (middle school year 1), so it's quite bad.

Old 15th January 2009, 07:09 AM
Initiate

yes she does. her english is improving so much! :O
she speaks better english than when she sings it O____O
i just saw the making of mirrorcle world..she can definitely understand english and speak conversational english. and when she had a CNN interview, i was impressed!
also, she uses english 2 communicate w/ her non japanese fans.
she went 2 france&china, and she spoke english...wow..english is totally the universal language ^___^

~YouTube&twitter&Blog&Funny ScreencapsI+II+III~
::tumblr::

Old 15th January 2009, 07:15 AM
LIKE A CRYSTAL H-Initiate

I think over the past few years her pronounciation & probably grammar has improved although I still have problems understanding her as her Japanese accent will tend to get in the way unlike KAT-TUN's Akanishi Jin where his Japanese accent's not there

I don't think you will be hearing Ayumi ranting stuff like Car Shrimp (classic one Akanishi , before he went to study Eng for 6 months in LA ie. heh )

Dedicated BRZ fan since 2008 debut single ♪ | team brz member ♥ | BREAKERZ BIRTHDAY PARTY 2024 ♥

My JPop Blog | My Twitter | BRZ Thread 47 | BRZ LiveJournal | BRZ Official Site

Last edited by KarenPang; 15th January 2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old 15th January 2009, 07:16 AM
sending mail Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl1029530921 View Post
i dont think her song titles were in her vocabulary b4 the song was actually made. Someone must've made it up for her. Evolution, surreal, monochrome r very uncommon words and i dubt ayu came up wiht the words herself.

I've always wondered that as well. Someone must have came up with them for her.

Old 15th January 2009, 07:19 AM
LIKE A CRYSTAL H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyUta View Post
I've always wondered that as well. Someone must have came up with them for her.
or maybe she has on hand electronic or hard covers of Japanese to Eng dictionaries or probably just ask someone to help her on it

Dedicated BRZ fan since 2008 debut single ♪ | team brz member ♥ | BREAKERZ BIRTHDAY PARTY 2024 ♥

My JPop Blog | My Twitter | BRZ Thread 47 | BRZ LiveJournal | BRZ Official Site