[A] MADE IN JAPAN song opinions! - Page 4 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 12th May 2016, 11:25 AM
Dolls Initiate

I'm really glad to see the overall positive vibe on AHS over this album. Its nice to read every member's opinion. This way, you even find out new details that you missed.

tasky is one of her best interludes ever which says a lot since she has a lot of great ones. It reminds me of Sa Ding Ding's work which basically blends experimental electronica with organic asian elements. The moment it turned into the electro whirlwind I knew this album is going to be diverse.

FLOWER
Like some other member also said, this was the track that I've always wanted from ayu since I've became a fan in 2012. The intricate arrangement and Ayu's memorable style of singing really stays with you throught the song. Also, the blend of japanese folk and metal is definitely my cup of tea. Probably my favourite track from the LP

Mad World
I really like her deep tone in this track. Also, the drum work and the catchy chorus are a plus for me. Also, I love how they mixed the shamisen into the bridge part.

Breakdown
Wow, after I've read the translated lyrics, it makes even more impact. Its like the reverse of Shape of Love in terms of feeling, with similar arrangement. The distorted vocals throught the end and those heavy guitars are the highlight.

Survivor
Very interesting & original track. Love the distinct tribal instrumentalization and like someone else said, this is definitely very 2004/2005 - exotic song with a tinge of r&b / gospel like INSPIRE / fairyland. Just noticed that the rock brigde is similar to the bridge of GAME. This is definitely going to be part of the upcoming arena tour.
PS : This song is in the vein of something that Eurovision would bring in (Ukraine, Azerbaijan, Greece etc.), excepting the rock part.

You are the only one
Another unique track in her discography, very soothing and the addition of the pipe is laudable. Whenever I listen to this song, I portrait in my mind a wild landscape, something like a desert.

TODAY
I really want her to sing this song, it has something very emotional about it, its real and vulnerable. Maybe the lyrics, her voice, the arrangement or the overall factor, I don't know. Is that an organ I hear in the bridge?

Mr Darling is a good track too. I appreciate the guitar work in all these tracks, this being no exception. The best part of this song is "You always talk about tomorrow or the day the after tomorrow / but I always want to make today shine the most", I really like the arrangement and composition here.

Summer Love was a bit unexpected after all previous tracks containing rock or traditional elements but it somehow fits. The 80's jpop inspired chorus is a nice addition to the song and like I said in another thread yesterday, it reminds me of Seiko Matsuda or Akina Nakamori. What if this is the track produced by Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike? (If they managed to collaborate.)

This is her most spectacular album since Love songs and one of her best. Hope for a great translation into tour and for artistic covers. Definitely buying this.

Last edited by Surreal17; 12th May 2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12th May 2016, 12:34 PM
I am... Initiate

tasky - I love how they blend traditional Japanese instrument with a modern sound

FLOWER - I really like the music and how it fits with tasky. Like others have said I also think her voice sounds weird in the chorus but now I've listened to it enough times I don't notice it, lol

Mad World - This is my favorite on the whole album.

Breakdown - I didn't hear it at first but now I can see the shape of love comparison. I actually don't like the guitar at the end- it sounds too much BUT I understand why it's included. Having the ending cut off like that was brilliant.

Survivor - I appreciate how fierce it sounds but the chanting parts are so-so for me. I hope the performance at AT involves fire.

You are the only one - I like how dreamy it sounds. I feel like this is a song I'd have to really be in the mood for to listen, not just listening casually.

TODAY - There are parts I want to like but overall the song is kinda meh

Mr.Darling - Nice chorus. This will be a "just chilling" song for me

Summer Love - I like it, not love it. I feel it will be a good encore song.

Overall, I'm happy with this album!
Old 12th May 2016, 12:40 PM
November Initiate

I'm not really into Ayu anymore, I just don't like all the 'new' songs she's making these days, but I still listen to her new albums to see if there's anything good, so:

tasky - I love this. Gorgeous. I must say I'm a huge fan of al the task- songs, but this one, omg, it's so good. One of the best interludes/intro's I've ever heard. I wish it was longer though 6/5

FLOWER - I love the transition of tasky into this song, the intro of FLOWER blends really well with tasky. But the chorus of this song... I find it so annoying. 2.5/5

Mad World - I like this song. Not love it, I like it. It's okay. 3/5

Breakdown - What is with that ending? Why? The song is nice but it doesn't really... take off? 2/5

Survivor - It's a good song, I guess 4/5

You are the only one - I only love the last chorus of this song. The whole song sounds so bland to me. 2/5

TODAY - Surprisingly.... I like this. 3.5/5

Mr.Darling - Generic. Next please. 2/5

Summer Love - Thank you for gifting us with this song. 5/5

| Set by me |

I love Stargate SG-1 even more now! Cuz in episode 9x12 there was a person called
Dr. Amuro

Old 12th May 2016, 12:49 PM
forgiveness Initiate

Overall I love the album. Only one complaint, I need more lol I love the direction of the album, it's better than A ONE era for sure least for me.

tasky
I LOVE this opening so so so much. I really really really hope she's gonna extend this and made a twist out of this epicness of instrumentation.

FLOWER
Idk why but I'm imagining the whole Sayuri in Memoirs of a Geisha when she danced the winter dance with the whole rabid umbrella movements. And reminds me of Wagakki Band, urgh it'll be awesome if she done a full blown Wagakki Band-esque FLOWER.

Mad World
The intro is so Endless Sorrow, but the rest is not. I kinda like this track, it's like that rock songs you can find in previous albums (sending mail, count down, etc)

Breakdown
The first time I hear this, I instantly fell in love with the opening instruments and how it reminds me of Shape of love, my favorite track from sixxxxxx. I just don't get the ending tho, not the Kono Mama part but after that sick guitar it's just that? She should add one more round of chorus then ends it hanging.

Survivor
Screams INSPIRE so much, I wouldn't be surprised if the song goes along during live. It also sounds so ethnic and desert-like (which is INSPIRE) lol.

You are the only one
EPIC. That's it. Anything for you was similar to this song, content wise, but You are the only one was executed much much better. It's grandiose and sincere. She can put a little drama or situation for this song during live.

TODAY
A quick listen, I thought it's gonna be like Melody / Life / call / Letter, but it's better and has a bye-bye song vibe in it. I love the lyrics so much.

Mr. Darling
It's a funny coincidence that when I get to TODAY, I was muttering, she didn't make anymore cute tracks? And this is the answer. Music wise it's not cutesy but I kinda know what she sings here and it sounds so sweet and cute.

Summer Love
Surprise surprise, despite the generic EDM build up I love the other EDM parts in it lol I like it so far, but idk why I feel for a song like this the lyrics seems so long lmao I haven't read it yet.
Old 12th May 2016, 12:57 PM
CAROLS Initiate

I've listened to every track, but for some unknown reason, after being finished with listening to them, I can't remember them at all. I remember that I enjoyed Mad World and Survivor, but the songs haven't hooked me like Ayu's older songs did.

I'll give the album a few more listens before writing down my judgement. I guess mine is a less popular opinion in here, but oh well.
Old 12th May 2016, 04:22 PM
TO BE Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeyChan View Post
tasky - 5/5 Best interlude EVER

FLOWER - 6/5 o_O *dies*

Mad World - 6/5 o_O *dies again*
hahahahahahah this is too good. feel the same
Old 12th May 2016, 04:58 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

^but sixxxxx was better than A ONE.
Old 12th May 2016, 06:53 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maemi View Post
I've listened to every track, but for some unknown reason, after being finished with listening to them, I can't remember them at all. I remember that I enjoyed Mad World and Survivor, but the songs haven't hooked me like Ayu's older songs did.

I'll give the album a few more listens before writing down my judgement. I guess mine is a less popular opinion in here, but oh well.
Honestly, as someone who likes Ayu albums after first listen, I usually don't really remember them either. It takes time for things to stick in your head... even her older tracks, really. But because they're older, you don't really remember that "baking" time.
Old 12th May 2016, 07:25 PM
ayu-mi-x Initiate

This is the first album that I've actually listened all the way through since Love Songs! Where has this Ayu been!? And the songs actually don't sound like they were recorded with a cardboard box this time!

I won't call this a masterpiece, but I think this is a GIGANTIC step in the right direction. I really hope this gets Japan's attention and sets Ayu on the path to a comeback (but I won't hold my breath).

I'm not going to rate the songs because I'm at work and don't remember half of them, but I do remember FLOWER, Mad World, and You are the only one. Three of my new favorite Ayu songs in a VERY long time. I was starting to think I'd never feel that way again. I also liked the background music in Survivor but it's not a song that stuck with me.

What songs do we think will get PVs? I'm personally hoping for FLOWER and You are the only one. I really love the atmosphere in both of those songs and think it could translate beautifully to a well-conceived PV (assuming they'll give the budget for it).

A Survivor PV would be interesting too!
Old 12th May 2016, 07:28 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

I think due to her "running" for a few years, we didn't really see her do what she would usually do as far as "quality" goes. I'm sure she saw issues with her 2012-2014 output too and realized it after Colours.
Old 12th May 2016, 07:44 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

tasky - Very strong intro, as expected... I don't think any of her intros ever let me down. 5/5

FLOWER - I really liked the mix between traditional japanese instruments and pop-rock in here, and I also love how agressive and chaotic she sounds during the chorus, gives it a nice raw feeling. 5/5

Mad World - Again, a chorus that gives a very nice raw feeling to a song that sounds very polished everywhere else. This doesn't sound like anything she did before, and this always pleases me. 5/5

Breakdown - The "rawness" on her vocals seens to be a constant on this album, and I really like this! This song actually sounds more like the stuff she usually does. I'm in love with the distortions in the end of the song. 5/5

Survivor - There's something slightly over the top with this song that almost makes me not taking in seriously, but it actually works in the end! It actually does have a similar vibe to Inspire, even if it's based on a different ethinical music. 4/5

You are the only one - This is probably the track I like the least. Her voice is really gorgeous on this one, but it sounds like a Disney movie ballad. x_x Still, a pretty song! 4/5

TODAY - It seens like every Ayu album needs a "Who", and this is the one from MIJ. It's pleasant, if not a little too safe... But this is usual with her lyric driven encore songs. 4/5

Mr.Darling - Very sweet, but on a very good way! The way she sings on this one makes me feel like huging her and never letting it go <3 4/5

Summer Love - If TK and RedOne had a child, it would be Summer Love. For the good and for the bad. 4/5

So... The weakest tracks were still pretty strong, and even made me tolerate Many Classic Moments. I would say it's her first album I love since Party Queen and a very good surprise.

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 12th May 2016, 07:52 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

If anything, this album's strength makes me excited for what she has planned next already.

Could she outdo this and just what will it look like? Where will we go for the 20th anniversary?
Old 12th May 2016, 08:32 PM
ayu-mi-x Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by truehappiness View Post
I think due to her "running" for a few years, we didn't really see her do what she would usually do as far as "quality" goes. I'm sure she saw issues with her 2012-2014 output too and realized it after Colours.
What do you mean by "running"? Sorry, I've been a little out-of-touch for a little bit between those years.

I definitely get the impression that she's been taking it a little more seriously lately. A ONE and sixxxxxx were good efforts, but the production still sounded so cheap. Which is a shame, in my opinion, because there are some songs that could have been fantastic if they were polished nicely.

I'm just so happy that they seemed to take their time with these songs and make them sound actually finished!
Old 12th May 2016, 08:41 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

For a good bit, she was forcing herself to work even though she was sort of dealing with some stuff emotionally. There are some interviews released around A ONE that basically talk of her running away from Japan to America and "abandoning" Japan.

Getting some links.

http://ahsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121548
- 109news article

http://ahsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121947
- Numero Tokyo

Thanks to tenshi no hane for translations.
Old 13th May 2016, 12:33 AM
End of the World Initiate

Wad World is just amazing. I cant remember the last time I heard so much emotion in her voice...Decision? Hanabi? Hanabi ep II?
I am so pleased with this album. I am so jealous of those of you who will see it live. If she has an extended tour in the fall I think I am going to drop everything and go.
Old 13th May 2016, 05:06 AM
WHATEVER Initiate

I'm just really not the biggest fan of Ayu's current vocal technique.. just too forced. Also I really wish she would do more layering and get some better mixing/arranging, (her current sound is sort of a flat and hollow to me) but BESIDES THAT, I am really enjoying these songs! I still rather listen to Ayumi all day than anyone else. <3

tasky - 4/5 Hi perfect intro!

FLOWER - 4/5 Her vocals during the chorus are a bit rough, but other than that this song is so solid! My favorite track for sure!

Mad World - 3.5/5 Love her emotion in this song, but the arrangement could have had more going on. Still very good!

Breakdown - 3.5/5 The crazy ending totally saved this song for me! Because it is so her. LOVE.

Survivor - 3/5 Super fun and different(yay!) but also kind of cheesy.

You are the only one - 3.5/5 Love the light and airy arrangement. And the ending! I love it when she does this.

TODAY - 2.5/5 Just ok.

Mr.Darling - 3.5/5 I actually really like this! It sticks in my head.

Summer Love - 3/5/5 - Fun and cute! The chorus is a bit weak for me but still super fun!

Overall it's not my favorite but I'm super happy to have some new tracks and tasky and FLOWER are definitely my favorites! I sort of wish this had been a concept album and all songs had traditional Japanese instruments. That would have blown my mind.
Old 13th May 2016, 07:42 AM
Far away Initiate

FLOWER, You are the only one, Summer Love is growing on me! It'd be better if tasky is longer.

awesome set by Aderianu

happy 14th anniversary to 浜崎あゆみ! (1998.04.08) ♥

浜崎あゆみ SHINee

Old 13th May 2016, 08:05 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Listening to this album while reading the lyrics makes my chest hurt, tbh. Though towards the end it becomes a fuzzy feeling. The beginning however is like a gaping stab wound, lol.
Old 13th May 2016, 09:39 AM
Love song H-Initiate

tasky, FLOWER, Survivor - 5/5
Mad World - 4/5

Breakdown, You are the only one, TODAY, Mr.Darling, Summer Love - 2/5
what the hell is that? I don't like them at all. Right now for me this is least favorite album in terms of sound. I know, lyrics is good, but it doesn't help
Old 13th May 2016, 12:20 PM
Far away Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by truehappiness View Post
Listening to this album while reading the lyrics makes my chest hurt, tbh. Though towards the end it becomes a fuzzy feeling. The beginning however is like a gaping stab wound, lol.
I think the progression of the album is trying to simulate Japan in the sense of reconstruction.

The album starts with anger due to the world, then sadness, loneliness, destruction, self-criticism, hope, charity, love, happiness.

I can see the comparision with the process after Second World War or maybe the process Japan has to do when they suffer a catastrophe like an earthquake.

Hey, the reason of this smile and the meaning of this word can't be understood
Because I don't even want to make them understood
— until that Day...

Tags
made in japan