Meaningful Songs - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat > Asian Music Polls

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you think that a meaningfu lyrics has a big role in a song?
Depends on the songs. But if it's a ballad, then I want a good story behind it. 48 37.21%
Nope. Lyrics can go from cheesy to happy to teary for me, as long as the music is good. 37 28.68%
Yes. A song without meaningful lyrics seems to be tasteless to me. 33 25.58%
Other (please elaborate in your post) 11 8.53%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6th April 2007, 01:52 PM
Will Initiate

Meaningful Songs

Is it just me who thinks that songs doesn't have to have a particular story behind it to be a good song?

From the reactions of Ayu fans in this forum about a particular song, album, artists, I kinda gathered up one similar thing, that people are used to Ayu songs, in which has a lot of meaning inside it, so that whenever they listen to other singer, whose songs' meaning aren't as much as Ayu's or maybe meaningless at all, they will label the song as bad.

I mean, when it comes to dancing songs, I wouldn't expect a particular story in it. Or maybe in Jazz songs, where even a simple "Lalala..." and random ad-libs could create a good song. I listen to any song and I listen to how the singer bring the song. When it's a ballad, I expect a meaningful story, but other than ballads, every kind of lyrics and how cheesy it is, as long as it has good music and the singer perform the song nicely, I'm happy.

How about you guys? I'm actually curious with people's opinion, especially from true ayu fans. What are you views on songs that doesn't have meanings?
Old 6th April 2007, 03:29 PM
glitter Initiate

Although it's nice to have a song with meaningful lyrics, I like the music aspect of a song much more. So I voted for the second option.

There's never a day that I have to remember you because I never for a moment forgot you.
My LJ x Hitomi Shimatani @ LJ x Yuna Ito @ LJ x ayaka @ LJ x misono @ LJ
Old 6th April 2007, 03:33 PM
NEVER EVER Initiate

It depends on the song for me. Sure, I love songs with meaningful lyrics because they make me feel as thought the singer is trying to relate to the listener.

But a song can be great and empty as well. Take some dance-beat songs: sound good because of the music but the lyrics are empty.

Still, I think that I would listen to songs more if they mean something and give them more of a chance if I don't like them at first.
Old 6th April 2007, 03:38 PM
SEASONS Initiate

i'm a music lover.. actually the real deal for me is the music,but yeah nice lyrics doesnt hurt every now and then

AHS:
"BWAAAAAH your siggy made me cry "

Me:

Old 6th April 2007, 03:45 PM
A Song for XX Initiate

I'm an Ayu fan and, yes, I like mingful songs.
But even for me it depends on the cheracter of the song. For eximple, if it's a ballad I want a good story (as you said) and non-banal cheap phrases (no, I don't mean something extrimly complicated, words can be simple but touching, hmm... let's take Ayu's "Two Of Us" or Kuu's "Yume No Uta"). Well, if it's dance-song (like Kuu's or Namie's), it should have good lyrics too.
But mingful songs are usually amazing! Yeah, I like, when you need to think to understand the minging of the song.

Thanks to Yurin-Kama for this cute set!
last.fm | Faye Wong Music Thread

Old 6th April 2007, 05:51 PM
Endless sorrow Initiate

I like songs that have meaningful lyrics, as long as the songs with crappy lyrics have a good beat, I'll listen to it. XD

~Ayu Fan Since 2004 ~ Kuu Fan Since 2005 ~ Set by ownsarai ~
Old 6th April 2007, 06:29 PM
RED LINE ~for TA~ Initiate

I know exactly what you mean. To be honest....I mean I live in America...I'm used to crappy lyrics lol If I want a good meaningful song, then I'll go listen to Ayu. But different artists do different things for me. Just because some don't have the best lyrics as others doesn't make it bad. To be honest, I think it would get kind of boring if all of your artists made the same kind of music...I don't listen to Kuu for her lyrics, even though sometimes theyre hilarious...I don't even listen to Hikki for her lyrics. I didn't listen to Ayu for her lyrics for a while, but then got really into them as one of the best features of her music, and thank god for them, or else she proabably wouldnt be as popular as she is...

It actually gets on my nerves when people NEED lyrics. Like, maybe one day I'll play a classical song in calss for something, and they are all like, "but it has no words..." and I'm just like...SO? Do you need words to tell you everything? Words in music really don't mean anything if the music isn't good. I don't understand Japanese, or French, or Italian, or Russian...it's all about the music.

☆ bunnnniiiieeeesssss ☆

- The "New Artists You're Trying Out" Thread -

don't forget to spread the kuu

Old 6th April 2007, 06:34 PM
SAKURA Initiate

i chose the second choice. as long as the music is good, then i enjoy the song. and it's kinda hard to expect meaningful lyrics in a jpop song if you don't understand japanese. like me for example, lol. so yea.

Lisa on social media @ twitter & tumblr!

Old 6th April 2007, 08:22 PM
Because of You Initiate

I chose the second option. The music has to be good for me to like it regardless of whether the lyrics are meaningful or not.
Old 6th April 2007, 11:49 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

Usually, the first thing that grabs me when I listen to a song is the music, not the lyrics. If it has a nice beat, then I'm more likely to like it. Good lyrics are a bonus.
Old 7th April 2007, 02:47 AM
Naturally Initiate

I'm the second choice as well. Most of the time it's the music that affects me, but good lyrics can boost my opinion of the song. But yeah, it's a bonus.

It's an endless story, always shining
Always, I want to tell you, forever
lj icon-journal

Old 7th April 2007, 03:14 AM
Virgin Road Initiate

i think its all about music and meaning comes to second place for me...
but yeah meaningful lyrics makes the songs better...what i hate from dance music is sometimes the lyrics is use sex and sex and sex theme always...and make me sick of it...
are you not an ayufans chris?

Ayumi Hamasaki...Queen of my life...

Old 7th April 2007, 04:38 AM
Mirror Initiate

Yes. A song without meaningful lyrics seems to be tasteless to me.
Old 7th April 2007, 05:00 AM
CAROLS Initiate

lyrics play about 40% in a music.

the tune plays a bigger role.

Whats a meaningful song without a good tune?

thats trash. i wont even bother to listen to it. Reading it is a different issue.

Old 7th April 2007, 06:38 AM
Will Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyuGAME View Post
what i hate from dance music is sometimes the lyrics is use sex and sex and sex theme always...and make me sick of it...

OMG! So true XD
But not all dance music. I think Rap music is what are you referring to.

Quote:
are you not an ayufans chris?
Just not an avid one. :3
Old 8th April 2007, 09:36 AM
Banned

It depends on the song. Ballads need to be nice. If the lyrics suck, then the song loses about 1 million cool points.

I like my other songs to have good lyrics, but it's not needed, I guess.

And. I don't really care what kind of lyrics hip hop/rap songs have anymore. Because they're crap the majority of the time anyway.

WAIT. If any song is like, "LOLZ SEX &&& BUTTS" over and over, then I end up murdering it. =D So yeah.
Old 8th April 2007, 04:16 PM
ayu trance Initiate

i prefer songs with meaningful lyrics...
songs nowadays only involve adultery, cheating, sex, and dancin in the club (im not a big fan of rap and hip hop)... but it depends on the situation... you know? like, i have music of all kinds for certain occasions... for example, a good song for make-out sessions, hahahahah.
if the music is nice, i'd listen to it and like it... but if the lyrics are cheesy or shallow, they die quickly on me. i only use them on occasions.
for the most part, i mostly root for the meaningful songs in the end... they are more valuable to me and my soul... hehehe.
Old 8th April 2007, 04:17 PM
Greatful days Initiate

It's the music that will catch my attention first... Lyrics come after.

sig - me

LJ | LastFM | LJ icons | Blog

Old 8th April 2007, 07:21 PM
Banned

I think its the lyrics and song name that matter. The only reason i listened to Ai Otsuka's songs Kingyo Hanabi and yumekui was because i like dthe names. then i lvoed the lyrics. then i loved the music.

Lyrics matter most.
Old 8th April 2007, 07:37 PM
too late Initiate

i think that it can be an important aspect of a meaningful song, but i'm more to identify with a certain sound rather than with lyrics. perhaps it's because i started listening to jpop not because of the lyrics but rather because of the sound of the music. if lyrics are completely meaningless, however, that can really turn me off, but they can be mediocre and i'd still find the song meaningful if it has the right 'sound' to it.