[Utada Hikaru] ☆ Goodbye Happiness in Utada Hikaru's 45th Thread ☆ - Page 10 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat > Artists & Bands

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12th August 2011, 03:50 PM
Secret Initiate

I must be the only one who really enjoyed Exodus and This Is the One the first time I heard them. Exodus was so magical to me lol.
Old 12th August 2011, 03:54 PM
ever free Initiate

At least this thread is thriving with life. I was worried folks wouldn't come back to the hikki thread until who knows when.

I hope she comes back at least by the end of next year. Just wishful thinking on my part.

Old 12th August 2011, 05:18 PM
RAINBOW Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoHTF1242 View Post
I must be the only one who really enjoyed Exodus and This Is the One the first time I heard them. Exodus was so magical to me lol.
I enjoy both albums, but I think what fans have a hard time coming to terms with is that TITO wasn't meant to be Exodus Part II, it's a different genre of music and you can tell Utada worked a very different concept for it. So for people expecting more Exodus-like songs, I can see their point to why they'd call TITO 'lazy'. I'm just happy I can listen to both quite happily.
Old 12th August 2011, 05:46 PM
Greatful days Initiate

Also remember that Utada didn't even produce any of the tracks on "This Is The One" so there was never anyway we would get more Exodus or any of her true sound really.

All of the "laziness" falls on the shoulders of her producers as far as I'm concerned. Although I wish Utada had told them "NO" when she heard the tracks. If she had a choice and STILL said to herself that all of that sounded like a winner well then that's a judgement call we can hold her accountable for. Perhaps Island Def Jam didn't provide her that kind of flexibility though.

Nevertheless, I would have walked away, pulled "my" mac out and made some asian magic. Kay?

I Have Never Tried On PERFUME Before, But There Is A First Time For Everything.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdolce View Post
Man, CoriKaru's posts are gold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtka-chan View Post
^Hell no, Ayu is not that pretty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrenekoi View Post
^ There's nothig wrong on being a slut...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumsushi View Post
I saw Ayu's dress and realized where the budget for the whole video went. On the dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoriKaru View Post
ayumistans I swear fo' gawd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelosama View Post
For some things you have Mastercard, for others you have Nakata Yasutaka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle ! View Post
Kuu Like a Sick And His midecin is near She should use it before it's gonna expire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klauser_Bateson View Post
So this is the girl who said her favorite Playstation game was Super Mario Bros. and held the PS Vita upside down at a press conference.

That aside, how's her music? Is it good?
Old 12th August 2011, 05:52 PM
MY STORY Initiate

I remember that Island Def Jam producers added something on one of her songs on TITO. I don't remember which one it was but I felt really annoyed because they modified a song Hikki had composed herself D:

To me TITO doesn't sound rushed at all. Just different compared to Exodus. I loved TITO the moment I heard first song. It was amazing, and it still is no matter how mainstream it is.

You can find me from these too:
~ Facebook
~ Instagram
~ AO3

Old 12th August 2011, 05:58 PM
And Then Initiate

Like I said on the last page, I enjoyed both albums. I really loved TITO because it sounded like what First Love would have sounded like if it were made in the year 2009. Plus, it was a pleasant surprise because I didn't really have any high expectations for the album. Utada herself said that she just wanted to make a pop album, so I think it was one of those "I feel like doing this now" moments for her.

I am forever a proud BlackJack.

Old 12th August 2011, 05:59 PM
Secret Initiate

I wish she had chosen better singles and better promoted it. Apples and Cinnamon would have been huge.
Old 12th August 2011, 06:12 PM
MY STORY Initiate

^Yes and This One (Crying Like A Child).

~ Facebook
~ Instagram
~ AO3

Old 12th August 2011, 06:24 PM
RAINBOW Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoHTF1242 View Post
I wish she had chosen better singles and better promoted it. Apples and Cinnamon would have been huge.
I think that would have been more popular than the leading single..which was Come Back To Me, right?

To be honest, all the songs have a different feel to the songs I usually hear from the RnB genre in America/U.K, so I believe any of them could have been popular. I just never saw any promotion Which is what it comes down to usually. I mean, Exodus was released in the U.K and I live here, and never knew that. I thought it was an America-only release. Maybe it was because they didn't know how she'd be accepted, but I didn't know how they thought she'd get popular without a few promotion shows and appearences on TV. She had Elton John on her side!! Sheesh.
Old 12th August 2011, 06:26 PM
MY STORY Initiate

Speaking of Exodus, I really love the UK release cover. Why was American release's cover so boring? D:

~ Facebook
~ Instagram
~ AO3

Old 12th August 2011, 07:59 PM
And Then Initiate

lol not as boring as TITO's cover though, ;-P

Old 12th August 2011, 09:20 PM
Greatful days Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Fade Away View Post
Utada herself said that she just wanted to make a pop album, so I think it was one of those "I feel like doing this now" moments for her.
More like Island DEAF Jam called her up and asked her to fulfill the rest of her contract and so she asked, "What'll you give me for it?"

They said "The opportunity to live yo' life and not get sued."

Utada said, "How about you sue me. That'll get me more promotion than you've ever gotten me. I just want promotion.

They said, "Why yes my dear."

Unbeknownst to Utada, by promotion, they meant waiting for her to release Japanese Material to release a Best Of containing all of her English "HITS" in an attempt to piggy back to the bank.

They still failed and didn't piggy back to nothing but a piggy bank with some quarters, dimes and nickels.

Utada said, "I can't mess with ya'll anymore."

Island Def Jam said, "We can't mess up your English Career anymore."

So they parted ways, Utada took a hiatus to go eat at McDonald's and Island Def Jam took a moment to donate all the proceedings of the Best Of to a cause in need: themselves.

Seriously though, they called her up and asked her when she was gonna get busy and she said okay.

She wasn't really inspired to do anything in that moment at all.

I Have Never Tried On PERFUME Before, But There Is A First Time For Everything.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdolce View Post
Man, CoriKaru's posts are gold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtka-chan View Post
^Hell no, Ayu is not that pretty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrenekoi View Post
^ There's nothig wrong on being a slut...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumsushi View Post
I saw Ayu's dress and realized where the budget for the whole video went. On the dress.
Quote:
ayumistans I swear fo' gawd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelosama View Post
For some things you have Mastercard, for others you have Nakata Yasutaka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle ! View Post
Kuu Like a Sick And His midecin is near She should use it before it's gonna expire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klauser_Bateson View Post
So this is the girl who said her favorite Playstation game was Super Mario Bros. and held the PS Vita upside down at a press conference.

That aside, how's her music? Is it good?
Old 12th August 2011, 09:38 PM
rainy day Initiate

I did not like Exodus overall when I first bought it way back when. I was so disappointed but then I found the magic in it.

For me, well, I do not like much of her older R&B material as it is. To me, Hikki is her etheral, surrealistic style and that's how I like her, the new Utada Hikaru. The old I cannot handle.
Old 13th August 2011, 04:26 AM
monochrome Initiate

"Also remember that Utada didn't even produce any of the tracks on "This Is The One" "

I thought she was credited for a few songs? I don't have my copy with me though...
Old 13th August 2011, 05:05 AM
And Then Initiate

Quote:
More like Island DEAF Jam called her up and asked her to fulfill the rest of her contract and so she asked, "What'll you give me for it?"

They said "The opportunity to live yo' life and not get sued."

Utada said, "How about you sue me. That'll get me more promotion than you've ever gotten me. I just want promotion.

They said, "Why yes my dear."

Unbeknownst to Utada, by promotion, they meant waiting for her to release Japanese Material to release a Best Of containing all of her English "HITS" in an attempt to piggy back to the bank.

They still failed and didn't piggy back to nothing but a piggy bank with some quarters, dimes and nickels.

Utada said, "I can't mess with ya'll anymore."

Island Def Jam said, "We can't mess up your English Career anymore."

So they parted ways, Utada took a hiatus to go eat at McDonald's and Island Def Jam took a moment to donate all the proceedings of the Best Of to a cause in need: themselves.

Seriously though, they called her up and asked her when she was gonna get busy and she said okay.

She wasn't really inspired to do anything in that moment at all.

Haha I love when you go into story-telling mode, please do this more often.

It's true though, they probs did coerce her into doing it, but I remember her being like "Yeah I just wanted to do a random, good, pop album this time," as well. Knowing stupid Island Def Jam though they were probably like "If you don't do an English album people understand, we'll kick you in the face"

Well she def got her revengeeeeeeeeeeee!

Old 13th August 2011, 05:09 AM
still alone Initiate

I only like FYI / Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence on TITO even though it has atrocious lyrics. I have to admit even though Exodus was pretty bleh to me, the songs are a lot more catchier and I would be willing to listen to them out of the blue. Kremlin Dusk, Devil Inside, and Animato (or was it Hotel Lobby?) were pretty cool songs.
Old 13th August 2011, 05:16 AM
And Then Initiate

Animato is the one that's like "I need someone whose true, someone who does the laundry too..." etc etc lol

Hotel Lobby is "Meet me in the hotel lobby, everybody's looking lonely...ahhhhh...ahhhh..."

The only reason I can't listen to a lot of Exodus is because I listened to it hard-core when I was going through a rough patch in my life so associate a couple of the songs with that bad time :-/. Luckily the live versions of KD, YMMWTBAM, and DI saved them for me.

All this talk about TITO vs Exodus....gosh Precious just gets no credit what-so-ever...hahahaha.

Come on! No one loves 'My Little Lover Boy'? That was Utada GOLD people. :-P

Old 13th August 2011, 06:48 AM
rainy day Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Fade Away View Post
Animato is the one that's like "I need someone whose true, someone who does the laundry too..." etc etc lol

Hotel Lobby is "Meet me in the hotel lobby, everybody's looking lonely...ahhhhh...ahhhh..."

The only reason I can't listen to a lot of Exodus is because I listened to it hard-core when I was going through a rough patch in my life so associate a couple of the songs with that bad time :-/. Luckily the live versions of KD, YMMWTBAM, and DI saved them for me.

All this talk about TITO vs Exodus....gosh Precious just gets no credit what-so-ever...hahahaha.

Come on! No one loves 'My Little Lover Boy'? That was Utada GOLD people. :-P
I downloaded Precious twice but I don't think I ever listened to it considering I know how different that stuff is from the stuff she does today and the reason I love her. Lol.
Old 13th August 2011, 06:54 AM
And Then Initiate

^ haha I mostly listen to it for laughs. It's not horrible (her voice actually sounds really good for being that young), but you're right, it's super different.

Old 13th August 2011, 11:37 AM
theme of a-nation '03 Initiate

I wouldn't say TITO sounds lazy. I think it's her intention to make a mainstream album for a slightly better appeal to the American market. Probly a more casual album could attract general listeners? The point is, the sales would not be really good at all if she didn't really promote it hard, no matter what kind of music she was selling.
Closed Thread

Tags
hikki, singles collection 2, utada hikaru