[Utada Hikaru] ʕ•̫͡•ʔ A Vacation for Only Two Hours in the 55th thread ʕ•̫͡•ʔ - Page 10 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat > Artists & Bands

Notices

Old 16th October 2016, 11:44 PM
theme of a-nation '03 Initiate

^ I believe you cuz I didn't read many of her interviews (it was hard to find translation back in the old days, and I was lazy). At least Toshiba waited for about 5-6 years to (forcefully) release single collection vol. 1. avex forced ayu to released A BEST when she was just there for 3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco__ View Post
It's really funny how... (I'll call it destiny, fate, but you can call whatever you want) life is, isn't it? Yesterday after my Japanese classes I was talking to my teacher (Japanese from Kyoto living in Brazil for seven years now, female, 29 yo) about Fantτme and she was praising Utada and told me she was not exactly wowed about the many copies it was selling since she is really the queen of Japanese music (her words). And then, out of the blue, she says she isn't like other female superstars like hamasaki, and asked me if I knew her. I told her I really liked her work. Then she told me what is really shines about hikki's career and what ayumi doesn't have as much as utada is female fans. While back in the day utada would have tons of fans both men and women, ayumi used to have a male fan base mostly. I asked her why was that and she said she felt ayumi was too exposed, while utada was more reserved, or in this topics words: she was low profile. Ayumi wasn't (and isn't).
Hmmn, interesting. Somehow I think this is quite true. Japanese women might think ayu's glamorous life a bit.. er... tacky (if that's the correct word to use). But I think she had lots of female fans in the early days. If not, VISEE's lipstick would not be sold out that quickly whenever she had a new VISEE cm . I think it was her glamorous life in her later career that is quite disconnected to real life. And the point she exposed her glamorous life too much that annoyed some people. Not that they hate her being rich, cuz famous artists are generally rich anywayz. They might find her being too exaggerate (which sometimes I do think that).
Old 17th October 2016, 12:35 AM
NEVER EVER Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegie View Post
Hmmn, interesting. Somehow I think this is quite true. Japanese women might think ayu's glamorous life a bit.. er... tacky (if that's the correct word to use). But I think she had lots of female fans in the early days. If not, VISEE's lipstick would not be sold out that quickly whenever she had a new VISEE cm . I think it was her glamorous life in her later career that is quite disconnected to real life. And the point she exposed her glamorous life too much that annoyed some people. Not that they hate her being rich, cuz famous artists are generally rich anywayz. They might find her being too exaggerate (which sometimes I do think that).
I agree with this. But I basically agree with this to all celebrities that throw their surreal fame and fortune into the face of the general public. And I'm not necessarily saying that's what she does because she is rich--absolutely no denying that--and she's definitely allowed to spend the money she's worked her ass off to get however the hell she wants, but there are times I feel like (especially through her instagram) she likes showing off her $2,000 hats, $12,000 sunglasses, etc... etc.... which can be a huge turn off to anyone of the general public, not just the Japanese, because it makes for jealousy and jealousy is a poison. (Though, I'll be honest. I'm on the poorer side of the American economy, which means I can hardly afford the roof over my head. I see someone wearing a $20 watch or being able to afford a vacation to the beach and I get jealous. So this is mostly me speaking out of dark envy.)

On the other hand. Utada Hikaru finds a potato and posts it on instagram. (is it instagram?)

A.

Potato.

I can honestly not think of something anymore low-key.

Edit:

Oh, I totally forgot that you deserve an award of some sorts for reading my entire post on the last page. Not much I can do over the forums besides give you an awesome emoji that I've always wanted a reason to use but never had:

Tada!!!!

Finally, I can stop dreaming....

Last edited by Miduhyo; 17th October 2016 at 01:53 AM.
Old 17th October 2016, 01:45 AM
NEVER EVER Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miduhyo View Post
Tada!!!!
I read the whole thing too and I didn't get an award... D:

JOKE!

Also I'm sorry but I just have to do this: why not (U)tada!?
Haha- ok sorry.

Old 17th October 2016, 01:52 AM
NEVER EVER Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio/Tayumi View Post
I read the whole thing too and I didn't get an award... D:

JOKE!

Also I'm sorry but I just have to do this: why not (U)tada!?
Haha- ok sorry.

UGHTADA why didn't I think of that!!! It would've been perfect...

Old 17th October 2016, 11:32 AM

10.10: No. 1 - 13,155
10.11: No. 3 - 7,836
10.12: No.1 - 6,053
10.13: No.1 - 7,536
10.14: No. 1 - 5,733
10.15: No. 1 - 7,942
10.16: No. 1 - 14,650
__________________________________________________ __

Est. weekly sales: 62,905

Week 1 sales: 252,581
Week 2 sales: 103,854

Est. Total sales: 419K
Old 17th October 2016, 12:00 PM
WHATEVER Initiate

Wow! So proud of her. That means this week the 500k is totally possible, right? And if not this week, the next.
Old 17th October 2016, 01:47 PM
BEST Initiate

So I'm a little late to this conversation, but I'll chime in on the Ayu vs. Hikki debate.

I think that part of why they have been treated differently is also because of what people expect of them, and how people experienced them. I don't think people have always been fans of them for the same things.

With Hikki, people thought she was cool, having this R&B hint in her music. And they really liked her music, for the music.

With Ayu, people thought she was cool, and they really liked her and her lyrics. Yes, they liked her music as well, but she was always about the lyrics and "being the voice of the lost generation."

At the end of the day, I think people had a far stronger emotional tie to Ayu than to Hikki, and therefore they felt all the more let down when Ayu has had mis-steps or has gone in a direction contrary to what they want or expect from her. Whereas Hikki has never been about the persona or the aura that she creates. So she went another direction with her music for a while, and the sales showed that. Before this her past couple of albums were not crazy successful. Fantome is really like an Adult Contemporary version of Deep River, and I think a largely older audience (i.e. not teenage) is really into it for the music.
Old 17th October 2016, 04:03 PM
No way to say Initiate

oh well, I think that nobody in Japan actually cares that much about ayu. they think like she's just one of those gyaru girls (as my Japanese friends told me). and utada is more down to earth, she's just normal and she has a wider audience. may be back in those days of 2001 they were almost the same popularity level but today I guess the thing is that ayu has her strong fan-base basically consisting of gyaru girls and boys and utada has an approach to every person in Japan. that's why ayu doesn't sell like 400k anymore.

ayumi hamasaki COUNTDOWN LIVE 2012-2013 A ~WAKE UP~. Dec 29/30/31, 2012. Yoyogi National Gymnasium, Tokyo.
ayumi hamasaki 15th Anniversary TOUR ~A BEST LIVE~. Apr 13/14, 2013. Saitama Super Arena, Saitama.
ayumi hamasaki 15th Anniversary TOUR ~A BEST LIVE~. July 27/28, 2013. Yoyogi National Gymnasium, Tokyo.
ayumi hamasaki ARENA TOUR 2016 A ~MADE IN JAPAN~. May 22, 2016. XEBIO Arena, Sendai.
ayumi hamasaki ARENA TOUR 2016 A ~MADE IN JAPAN~. July 18, 2016. Osaka-Jo Hall, Osaka.
ayumi hamasaki COUNTDOWN LIVE 2016-2017 A『Just the beginning -20-』. Dec 29, 2016. Yoyogi National Gymnasium, Tokyo.
ayumi hamasaki 『Just the beginning -20- TOUR 2017』. July 15/17, 2017. Osaka-Jo Hall, Osaka
ayumi hamasaki 『Just the beginning -20- TOUR 2017』. January 9, 2018. ROHM Theatre, Kyoto
Old 17th October 2016, 04:06 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

Japanese people have no taste in music. It sounds harsh but it all comes to image there...which I find off-putting as Japan is a very musically-talented country. They also loath classical music.
Old 17th October 2016, 07:02 PM
Trauma Initiate

^That explains why AKB48 sells so much.

I think much of Utada fame and recognition came from the fact that she sort of brought R&B music to Japan. Back in 1990s, eurobeat was huge and when Utada debuted it was a fading, so with her bringing something fresh to the market, something that was huge in US even, that was good for her. That's why everytime a new promising R&B singer in Japan debuts, people label them as the "new Utada Hikaru".

The fact that her music has a wonderful quality also contributes to her success. But like someone said, It makes sense that the fact she's foreign helps her have a better image to the public.

Last edited by ahtka-chan; 17th October 2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old 17th October 2016, 07:43 PM
SEASONS Initiate

I have no idea if what I'm saying makes sense, but may the fact that utada's parents were recognized musicians have helped her popularity?

Personally what makes utada so special is that she makes everything herself, the music, the lyrics and even the productions, which I think is truly awesome. Also, she's different, unlike most jpop female singers she doesn't have a pitch that pierce my ears. Honestly I don't know why I never properly listened to her music until this year lol
Old 17th October 2016, 07:49 PM
CAROLS Initiate

I wonder where her husband and baby live - in Italy?
Old 17th October 2016, 09:05 PM
As if.. Initiate

She's living in London right now. She said so herself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toniayu123 View Post
I have no idea if what I'm saying makes sense, but may the fact that utada's parents were recognized musicians have helped her popularity?
I don't think they helped her popularity. They just helped her "get her foot on the door" of the music industry. They helped her get a good contract with a big label and protected her while she debuted.

Not to mention how they taught her music since she was born. Music talent in her genes + music education early on really helped.

I'm a bit jealous of her. My whole family has zero music talent and I'm complete crap at it. Plus I only got a handful of half-assed music lessons from incompetent teachers at school. I wish I'd been raised in a family of musicians. lol
Old 18th October 2016, 12:38 AM
still alone Initiate

The Ayu versus Utada topic is so exhausting. There are just too many variables so it is impossible to say exactly why Utada has a more positive image and sells more etc.
I think Utada just has a broader appeal and Fantome seems to support that. Being fluent in English and releasing English songs has given her exposure to the rest of the world. This gives her bigger status in the industry and listeners eyes.
Utada's style of music is also something that benefits her. I may be going out on a limb here but, Utada's music doesn't really have a Jpop sound to me. It's Jpop in the sense that the lyrics are in Japanese and it was created and released in Japan. But Utada has a style all her own within each album. Exceptions can be made for First Love and Distance since they are a bit more straightforward with a defined R&B influence. Plus some pop rock on Distance. Ayu's music is very Japanese in contrast. It will only appeal to Asians or foreign people who like Asian music or culture. Living here in the US, I could never imagine a song like We are the Queens or Warning playing on the radio. But Utada's Michi for example I think people outside of Japan could instantly get into it.
As others have mentioned, Utada is more private and low key. She controls what people know about her and any news about upcoming releases. I also think that Utada's personality is just likable. She feels like one of us who just happens to be very gifted musically and well known. To me, Ayu used to be like that but I feel she gave in to pressure from fans and avex to be glamorous and always outdo herself. Giving people who don't know her well an image of a diva or "queen". I think Japanese people are hypocritical with pop stars sometimes, they love cute stylish idols with fancy clothes and music videos but also want them to be very humble and modest.
There are just too many things to sum up in one post on this subject.
I know that I certainly love both very much. But I just have a deeper connection to Ayu. She just resonates with me in a special way that only a handful of artists do. I love Utada for her wonderful creativity and interesting voice. She is a major artist in my life. But I don't feel like I have a relationship with her because of her low key nature. She is still a little mysterious to me even after all these years. It keeps me at a distance, I really only know Utada through her music and the handful of interviews on the net.
Old 18th October 2016, 01:51 AM
NEVER EVER Initiate

I think having this conversation the past few days has made me realize how much of a connection I've lost with Ayu. I mean, I still respect her very much, she works very hard, she never quits, she's always trying, and there's been so many times her songs have encouraged me to keep going, to go for my dreams rather than just live life. Etc.... But, personally, I've lost that--hmm? i'm not even sure how to put it--that something that made me just head-over-heels for her. I think nowadays I only see the 'diva' aspect of her with the over-the-top concerts, the k-drama-type-of-acting during her performances (I freaking loved Mad World until I saw her perform it. The fake crying... ) even just regular pictures she takes for instagram nowadays seem so... fake? Poised? I don't know. It's just such a turn off for me now. Which only hurts me because Ayu and her music has been such a big part of my life. She's influenced me in so many ways. Honestly, I would not be even attempting to be going for my dreams if I hadn't had Ayu sincerely and honestly telling me that I can do it. I even have some of her lyrics on my wall as a daily influence. (As cheesy and cliche as it sounds, its true.)

I know it sounds like I'm hating on Ayu, but I swear I'm not. Or at least that's not my intention. I've just grown older and so has she and as a fan and an artist we just don't connect as well anymore. Which is something that I'm surprised took 12-13 years to happen. All the other artist I listened to back then, I don't. Of course, I'm still a fan and I'll always root for her but right now I lean so much more towards Utada's laid back type of personality. I connect more with her as a person, which makes me connect more with as an artist. I love the idea of a celebrity just being a normal person who happens to be a great musician. It's just something I'm pulled towards. I guess that's why I'm so opinionated in this subject.

But you're totally right, it is an exhausting topic and to be quite fair it all boils down to something personal. You connect more to Ayu, I connect more to Utada. There's reasoning behind it but that doesn't mean there's a wrong or a right. it's just how it is.

Last edited by Miduhyo; 18th October 2016 at 01:56 AM.
Old 18th October 2016, 02:25 AM

We have been runnning a "hikki and ayu" marathon for a maybe 2 days and everyone's getting exhausted (heck I was one of the people who initiate the topic lol), but the discussion turns out to be quite healthy (yeah!!! ).

Not gonna say more. But from the last two message (EndofTheWorld and Miduhyo), I think I belong to the latter group. I'm more connected to hikki, since I'm getting old and hikki's living style connects me more. If I was in my mid 20s, I would probably love ayu's glamorous style. But I guess I love potatoes more nowadays (as a mid 30) lol
Old 18th October 2016, 03:00 AM
still alone Initiate

I hear you. I hate to say it but Fantome's release and some other great releases from some long time artists this year made me realize that Made In Japan is a weaker release in Jpop 2016. Not saying it is bad or I don't like it but compared to Fantome or Gackt's Last Moon, it just makes Ayu look like she is in last place. She should be leading, she has got a lot more talent than some artists selling more than double in sales.
I never participated in the whole Ayu vs Utada thing because I thought it was childish. I love both of them. I'm a bigger Ayu fan because of my emotions but Utada is just so much more consistent when it comes to the quality of her music.
Even though Ayu has made it look like she is rebounding from past troubles this decade, I think she still is struggling with the direction she wants to take her career. She seems to keep trying different things recklessly and hoping that she ignites that fire again. Utada always had a strong head on her shoulders since the beginning I feel. I know she expressed that towards her hiatus she was feeling like she was sort of losing direction but when it comes to the actual release of an album, it's focused and executed successfully. Made in Japan was like a scattershot, it has all kinds of different sounds and themes going on.
But it definitely does come down to personal feelings. I still do have a connection with Utada despite it being a bit weaker than some other artists out there. Utada is kind of an oddball, a little bit quirky and particular. Some might say weird.
I am like this as well so I sometimes see myself in her. Kind of not fitting in and having diverse interests. She is very introverted and likes to dive into her feelings and emotions and I love that. I can see this through her lyrics.
I think both of them are top tier artists that Japan has to offer the world.
Old 18th October 2016, 03:58 AM
NEVER EVER Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegie View Post
We have been runnning a "hikki and ayu" marathon for a maybe 2 days and everyone's getting exhausted (heck I was one of the people who initiate the topic lol), but the discussion turns out to be quite healthy (yeah!!! ).

Not gonna say more. But from the last two message (EndofTheWorld and Miduhyo), I think I belong to the latter group. I'm more connected to hikki, since I'm getting old and hikki's living style connects me more. If I was in my mid 20s, I would probably love ayu's glamorous style. But I guess I love potatoes more nowadays (as a mid 30) lol
I just turned 23. but I've always been more of a realist and realize that Ayu's type of over-the-top lifestyle isn't exactly what it seems. Heck, any celebrities lifestyle isn't what it seems. Yeah there's a lot of money but there's a lot of money because there's a lot of hard work and a lot of pressure. There's a reason a whole bunch of superstars artist around the world sing that 'you don't know the real me' and stuff like that. It's because we don't. xD

But I am in love with Utada's weirdness xD I swear, she is me. Past Ayu (lost Ayu. A song for XX-type-of-Ayu) was me in high school but now that I've matured a lot I've realized Utada's laid back, get work done but don't get too overworked about it lifestyle is definitely more towards me. (And who doesn't love a good potato? xD)

But I definitely agree with you EndOfTheWorld when it comes to MIJ. I was obsessed with it when it first came out because I felt it was Ayu's first true attempt at making real, honest music again rather than just music. But once the excitement faded, I saw it for what it was. An attempt. A good one. A better one than she's done in a while (though I really loved A ONE), but it was still scattered. She's trying so hard, going so fast, I don't think she can keep up with herself. Like I said earlier, she should really take a year off. Just one year. To clear her thoughts, straighten out her personal life, actually take time to enjoy her personal life, find what her true priorities are now that she's older, stuff like that. And I think if she did that, we'd get something really spectacular, something really Ayu-worthy, you know?

Just like Utada took a lot of time off, she worked her way through so much (becoming a wife, a mother, then, of course, grieving her own mother's passing) to bring us something very different, very personal, and yet at the same time very Utada. Ayu could definitely bring that. Even if it didn't sell over 400,000, I wouldn't care about that. I just want her to take a breath, sit down, and honestly focus on life because in the artistic world life inspires art but she's not giving herself any time to really do that and it's showing in her work.

( I didn't mean to continue adding to this topic but I just wanted to add that. I'm done. I swear. I promise. If I add more everyone just gather on me and throw me out.)

Old 18th October 2016, 07:55 AM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

I thought about Utada being low profile a bitb after we had the discussion here. And to be honest I know as much about her as for some other artists - she's divorced, married again with a foreigner, living in Londonb having a kid, musical parents and so on. I actually know quite a bunch about her, even without being a fan. Also about what she thinks about e.g. homosexuality. I know much less about somebody like e.g. Ai Otsuka (as she was already brought up) or also Perfume (and I'm a fan).
So what does low profile even mean? Guess Utada is seen as the nice girl from next door.
But yeah,makes sense with Japan being mainly about the image. Guess I agree with you, thinkingoutloud89.

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Old 18th October 2016, 01:05 PM
WHATEVER Initiate

She's not on every magazine out there, she never shows off, we didn't know about her son until he was BORN, what she did in the last 5 years remains a mystery, basically. Her wedding? we only knew about it after it happened. It was in a small town in Italy with few and close friends of them both. Her opinions about LGBT aren't without a reason: she's either questioned or she just writes songs about it.

She's the biggest female music star in Japan. There should be tons of magazines and interviews, her opinion on the most superficial of things, about her house, pets, future, and yet there's nothing like it. She came, released an amazing album and vanished again.

IMHO, this is to be low profile.

Tags
hikki, jpop, utada hikaru