~*//The Official Elva Hsiao Thread\\*~ - Page 8 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat > Artists & Bands

Notices

Old 11th March 2018, 05:06 AM
appears Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuXAyu-fan View Post
Don't want to get too excited yet but really hoping shes really coming this time!
Elva and Jolin especially have got to close the gap between new albums. It's excruciating for them to be putting so much time between releases these days. And they're running the serious risk of being forgotten about when they come around with a new release.

Elva alone would have had already released at least 5 new studio albums since I'm Ready, and Jolin would have been more like 3 or 4. But for crying out loud, I don't care about the quality of their albums. I just want to hear and see them in videos and performances and on new dance tracks and ballads.

I love Elva because she's fascinating to watch and has a great personality that's a nice mix of mature woman and fashionable girl. And I just want to see more of that.

Too much time between releases. Waaay too much time. I've got one existence. Please fill it with more music.

-> <-
Old 11th March 2018, 09:55 AM
Greatful days Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitalaspect View Post
Elva and Jolin especially have got to close the gap between new albums. It's excruciating for them to be putting so much time between releases these days. And they're running the serious risk of being forgotten about when they come around with a new release.

Elva alone would have had already released at least 5 new studio albums since I'm Ready, and Jolin would have been more like 3 or 4. But for crying out loud, I don't care about the quality of their albums. I just want to hear and see them in videos and performances and on new dance tracks and ballads.

I love Elva because she's fascinating to watch and has a great personality that's a nice mix of mature woman and fashionable girl. And I just want to see more of that.

Too much time between releases. Waaay too much time. I've got one existence. Please fill it with more music.
Err, hell no to me. I'd rather have 1 nice or great album every 5 years than have 5 shitty albums released in 5 years o_O

About being forgotten, I can't tell about Elva. But when it comes to Jolin, after PLAY promo ended:
► she had a World Tour (2015-2016)
► she also had lots of events (performances at festivals, awards ceremonies, press conferences for endorsements, guest appearances at concerts, Fashion Weeks attendance... the list here per year: http://www.jolinjenerationgallery.com/index.php?cat=24)
► she won the Best Album Award at the GMA
► she had her first dubbing job as the lead role, Judy Hopps, in Zootopia. I also read back then that Zootopia became the most watched animation movie of all time in Taiwan (don't know if it's still the case today though)
► she released 7 singles [I Wanna Know feat. Alesso, PLAY remix by Alesso, EGO-HOLIC (with the MV controversy), We Are One feat. Hardwell, On Happiness Road, the song for Mother's Day Let Love Spread Out, and Stand Up for Monster Hunt 2, the 4th highest-grossing film worldwide of 2018 at the moment]
► she broke up with her boyfriend of 6 years, Vivian Dawson
► she recently released a DVD/BD for her Tour.

What I mean is, even if she hasn't released an album in almost 4 years, she still got lots of media coverage.
I agree though that her international fanbase might turn to other singers since most of it doesn't really follow her latest news.

But if the delay is basically "Jolin's fault", it's not really Elva's fault if she hasn't released anything since 2014.
Elva left Sony in 2015 to create her own music production company (and find another record company), she wanted to release her new album in summer 2016. So she founded X & Y Entertainment with her younger sister. But things didn't go as scheduled, and she only signed with a new record company, EMI, this year.
Old 11th March 2018, 10:07 AM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linoa62 View Post
Err, hell no to me. I'd rather have 1 nice or great album every 5 years than have 5 shitty albums released in 5 years o_O
This mean nothing lol. We can wait for 5 years to have a nice album but not exceptional. Taking time doesn't mean that the album will be awesome.
That's my opinion xD

But I hope it will be of course.
Old 11th March 2018, 03:52 PM
Greatful days Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeReSu View Post
This mean nothing lol. We can wait for 5 years to have a nice album but not exceptional. Taking time doesn't mean that the album will be awesome.
That's my opinion xD

But I hope it will be of course.
I know that, I've always been thinking that way, just like you.
I was not implying here that Jolin's -or Elva's for that matter- upcoming album would necessarily be awesome. That's why I said, just like you did, "I'd rather have 1 nice or great album than...". I guess I didn't explain myself that well :/

I noticed I never posted the info provided by one article back in January:

It was about the fact that fans were disappointed and calling Elva "a liar" because her new album wasn't released at the end of 2017 like she promised.

It says that Elva's new album will be released after Lunar New Year (CNY, February 16th). A new Tour is also coming in the second half of the year (confirmed by the news I posted about a concert coming in Beijing in June), the first one in 8 (!) years.

Elva's new album was supposed to be released in the last week of December (a bit of a commercial "suicide" since JJ Lin was also releasing a new album at that moment...).

Elva flew to LA for half a month at the end of November to take dance lessons (and learn a choreography). But she realized afterwards that the choreography was impossible to perform in the outfit(s) she was supposed to wear in the title song MV if I understood well. As a consequence Elva had to change her plans and postpone the MV shooting scheduled for December.

Elva was very demanding on the MV script and had many meetings with her team. But the director they hired was very busy, so by the time they were ready, he couldn't shoot the MV. So the album's release had to be postponed to January.
But her staff thought that releasing an album in January was risky since CNY was coming, everyone would be talking about it and no one would notice Elva's new album. So Elva's new album release has been postponed once again to after Chinese New Year.

Last year she refused several events including a new Year's Eve performance to focus on her album, she lost more than 1 million euros or 1,7 million dollars according to the article.

Last edited by Linoa62; 11th March 2018 at 03:55 PM.
Old 21st March 2018, 03:50 PM
Greatful days Initiate

All her activities have been postponed indefinitely (new album release, events, upcoming Tour...). She had to cancel events and concerts and lost lots of money.

Elva was overstressed at the end of last year while working on her new album and ended suffering from a severe bronchial inflammation. She rested for 2 months in Vancouver but her condition is still very unstable, with fevers, poor physical strength, and severe migraine attacks. Sometimes she even loses her voice.

Elva is currently undergoing acupuncture treatment and is gradually getting better. She hopes to resume work this summer.
Old 21st March 2018, 07:53 PM
ayu-mi-x II Initiate

I just knew something would come up and delay the album further. Shame. Hope she feels better soon.

倖田來未
浜崎あゆみ
中森明菜
松田聖子
鈴木亜美

Old 21st March 2018, 08:24 PM
Initiate

Quote:
All her activities have been postponed indefinitely (new album release, events, upcoming Tour...). She had to cancel events and concerts and lost lots of money.

Elva was overstressed at the end of last year while working on her new album and ended suffering from a severe bronchial inflammation. She rested for 2 months in Vancouver but her condition is still very unstable, with fevers, poor physical strength, and severe migraine attacks. Sometimes she even loses her voice.

Elva is currently undergoing acupuncture treatment and is gradually getting better. She hopes to resume work this summer.
I have a bronchial inflammation actually and it is exhausting. I don't count anymore my migraine attacks and I don't have voice actually. So I understand easily what she's going through right now.
Hope she'll gets better soon (and me too!)
Old 22nd March 2018, 04:42 AM
appears Initiate

Quote:

About being forgotten, I can't tell about Elva. But when it comes to Jolin, after PLAY promo ended:
► she had a World Tour (2015-2016)
► she also had lots of events (performances at festivals, awards ceremonies, press conferences for endorsements, guest appearances at concerts, Fashion Weeks attendance... the list here per year: http://www.jolinjenerationgallery.com/index.php?cat=24)
► she won the Best Album Award at the GMA
► she had her first dubbing job as the lead role, Judy Hopps, in Zootopia. I also read back then that Zootopia became the most watched animation movie of all time in Taiwan (don't know if it's still the case today though)
► she released 7 singles [I Wanna Know feat. Alesso, PLAY remix by Alesso, EGO-HOLIC (with the MV controversy), We Are One feat. Hardwell, On Happiness Road, the song for Mother's Day Let Love Spread Out, and Stand Up for Monster Hunt 2, the 4th highest-grossing film worldwide of 2018 at the moment]
► she broke up with her boyfriend of 6 years, Vivian Dawson
► she recently released a DVD/BD for her Tour.

What I mean is, even if she hasn't released an album in almost 4 years, she still got lots of media coverage.
I agree though that her international fanbase might turn to other singers since most of it doesn't really follow her latest news.

But if the delay is basically "Jolin's fault", it's not really Elva's fault if she hasn't released anything since 2014.
Elva left Sony in 2015 to create her own music production company (and find another record company), she wanted to release her new album in summer 2016. So she founded X & Y Entertainment with her younger sister. But things didn't go as scheduled, and she only signed with a new record company, EMI, this year.
In the last four years, aMEI released three albums: one in 2014, another in 2015, and STORY THIEF in December 2017... all of them are critically acclaimed records. And trust me, I desperately wanted aMEI to do a release in 2016 too. But my point is that Jolin and Elva are maybe trying too hard. To be honest, I didn't hear anything on Jolin's Pei or Elva's Shut Up & Kiss Me that was at all a significant change from the album prior to it. If Jolin decides to release a classical piano album of original compositions or go Country then I totally understand taking four years. But there just isn't anything so tremendously career-changing that's happened since Pei or Shut Up & Kiss Me.

TBH, my favorite Elva records are Diamond Candy, Ms. Elva, I'm Ready, and Shut Up & Kiss Me. And really, if I had to say which albums were the best, it would be Diamond Candy then Ms. Elva then I'm Ready. So I think when Elva isn't trying to take the reigns of everything, she actually puts out her best work. And I think that's also true of her earlier albums.

MUSE was a game-changer for me with Jolin. I did not like her until The Great Artist came out and then she blew me away. But that album was literally made in only a little more time than Myself or Dancing Diva. Pei didn't land with the same impact, but it landed well. I just don't see how taking twice as long to release a record is really at all correlated with higher quality and memorability.

My first love in Mandopop is Angela Chang. But I strongly believe her music has only gotten worse since Ang 5.0 and Di Wu Ji. With the exception of her self-titled album in 2014, I honestly couldn't stomach Visible Wings and Head Over Heels. Just really not, not what Angela is good at - not creative, not interesting, not refreshing as her past albums were. In the last 8 years, she's done three albums. None of them really connect to me as effectively as Di Wu Ji or Ang 5.0 or Flower In The Wonderland.

Again, compare aMEI here. She's 19 albums into her career. I cannot tell you how grateful I am for FACES OF PARANOIA and AMIT2, and how those albums really grounded me through 2014 and 2015 and 2016. I was more excited for STORY THIEF than I was to go on holiday vacation from the office at the end of 2017. I've literally listened to those three albums collectively about as much as I have listened to Ayumi Hamasaki in the last 10 years.

So, I get it, I'd rather have 1 good album than 2 bad albums, but I don't think there's any guarantee that we will get a good album after 4 years of work when we know that most of these people put out their most memorable material after like 6 months of work.

-> <-

Last edited by orbitalaspect; 22nd March 2018 at 04:44 AM.
Old 22nd March 2018, 08:27 PM
Greatful days Initiate

Quote:
In the last four years, aMEI released three albums: one in 2014, another in 2015, and STORY THIEF in December 2017... all of them are critically acclaimed records. And trust me, I desperately wanted aMEI to do a release in 2016 too.
But my point is that Jolin and Elva are maybe trying too hard. To be honest, I didn't hear anything on Jolin's Pei or Elva's Shut Up & Kiss Me that was at all a significant change from the album prior to it.
If Jolin decides to release a classical piano album of original compositions or go Country then I totally understand taking four years.
But there just isn't anything so tremendously career-changing that's happened since Pei or Shut Up & Kiss Me.
TBH, my favorite Elva records are Diamond Candy, Ms. Elva, I'm Ready, and Shut Up & Kiss Me. And really, if I had to say which albums were the best, it would be Diamond Candy then Ms. Elva then I'm Ready. So I think when Elva isn't trying to take the reigns of everything, she actually puts out her best work. And I think that's also true of her earlier albums.
About Shut Up & Kiss Me, I agree about it being safe in Elva's discography.
But I disagree a bit about PLAY. I agree that it was some kind of a MUSE 2.0, there was obviously some continuity music-wise, but there were no typical C-Pop ballads, except for The Third Person and I maybe. She performed opera on Miss Trouble. PLAY was quite agressive and very fast. I can't think of anything like Lip Reading in her discography as well. Only Phony Queen sounded a bit like Dr Jolin. I always think of Phony Queen as Dr Jolin 2.0.
But I agree that the significant change came from elsewhere. Jolin was introducing more meaningful lyrics in her discography, she was trying to change her image, make people forget the dancer and see her like a singer, an artist. She took singing classes, performance classes and opera classes (it can clearly be heard in the album and live). Her MVs tried to convey more "social messages".

Elva changed labels between I'm Ready and Shut Up & Kiss Me, that may be the reason of the delay between the release of the two albums. I can't tell about Elva "taking the reigns of everything", I don't know her career enough for that.

Elva may be "trying too hard" nowadays because she realizes that this upcoming album will decide of her career's future since Shut Up & Kiss Me was not really a big success. Plus she had some problems finding a new label and only signed this year. 4 years without releasing an album when the latest one did not make a big impact and did not even have a Tour to promote it... :/ Will she have a comeback or be totally forgotten ? That's why she fell this ill, the stress. All articles are talking about it.

About Jolin, I can't deny that it can be annoying to me sometimes as well that the new album is getting delayed. IIRC she only started working on it less than two years ago, she didn't do shit except touring during the first 1-2 years following PLAY's release. She's also taking her time and doesn't care anymore about delays since she's producing herself... She stated it several times. She's enjoying life as well now (she has lots of side events which keeps her career very interesting to me).
She said she was open to any style of music, that we'll be surprised, so who knows, maybe we'll hear country . But it's also her personality, she's a perfectionist. I am one as well, I think that's why I'm more tolerant about all these delays. I can change things one time, two times, ten times, almost every time I look at my work. I always want to put out the best work I can. Being really satisfied can be quite hard. So I can understand why she's taking this long and why she's always changing stuff.

Quote:
MUSE was a game-changer for me with Jolin. I did not like her until The Great Artist came out and then she blew me away. But that album was literally made in only a little more time than Myself or Dancing Diva. Pei didn't land with the same impact, but it landed well. I just don't see how taking twice as long to release a record is really at all correlated with higher quality and memorability.
My first love in Mandopop is Angela Chang. But I strongly believe her music has only gotten worse since Ang 5.0 and Di Wu Ji. With the exception of her self-titled album in 2014, I honestly couldn't stomach Visible Wings and Head Over Heels. Just really not, not what Angela is good at - not creative, not interesting, not refreshing as her past albums were. In the last 8 years, she's done three albums. None of them really connect to me as effectively as Di Wu Ji or Ang 5.0 or Flower In The Wonderland.
So, I get it, I'd rather have 1 good album than 2 bad albums, but I don't think there's any guarantee that we will get a good album after 4 years of work when we know that most of these people put out their most memorable material after like 6 months of work.
IMO it's not possible to compare Dancing Diva and Myself production to MUSE's since back then Jolin didn't have the huge involvement she had while producing MUSE.
I agree that it was a big flaw in my post though, indeed time does not guarantee a masterpiece or a "good album". I guess I said this because I have faith in her because she did not disappoint me with MUSE and PLAY, the two albums which marked the start of her huge involvement in her music (PLAY even more since she produced it).

I can't tell about Elva, but I don't think Jolin could put an album (and a good one) in 6 months, but that's just my opinion.

I don't think comparing Elva and Jolin to aMEI is relevant though, since everyone is different. aMEI is aMEI, she's able to release awesome albums in 1 year, that's great (I love Faces of Paranoia, AMIT 1, AMIT 2 and Story Thief as well). Others take more time, or want to take more time. That won't mean of course that these albums will be better. But that's just the way it is.

@CeReSu I hope that you'll recover soon !!!

Last edited by Linoa62; 22nd March 2018 at 08:37 PM.
Old 25th March 2018, 02:49 PM
Greatful days Initiate

Double post

A new song called 舞舞舞 Dance Dance Dance has been revealed a few days ago, it's the theme song of Taiwanese drama 動物系戀人啊 Animal Type Lovers. This new single has not been released yet. The drama will start airing on March 29th.
Old 4th May 2018, 05:52 PM
Greatful days Initiate

Quote:
Double post

A new song called 舞舞舞 Dance Dance Dance has been revealed a few days ago, it's the theme song of Taiwanese drama 動物系戀人啊 Animal Type Lovers. This new single has not been released yet. The drama will start airing on March 29th.
This song has finally been released yesterday, and uploaded on Elva's YouTube channel.

Elva's agent said she has not resumed work yet, but she's recovering. She has been able recently to leave her house to go to the gym for simple exercises.

About the upcoming album:
► There is no release date scheduled at the moment
► 舞舞舞 Dance Dance Dance will be in it
► So right now two songs from the new album have been revealed: 舞舞舞 Dance Dance Dance and 明天的秘密 Secret.
Old 5th May 2018, 04:02 AM
WHATEVER Initiate

It's been so long since I actually like something Elva put out I can't actually care. But I do expect quality, I used to love her hahaha

About Jolin's Play I disagree almost completely: I felt that album is her masterpiece. She hasn't done anything like gentlewoman ever. Not like someone already said tried with opera, etc. Phony Queen is the major flaw for me, but I still like it. MUSE was a game changer indeed, but for me Play is a refined result of that change. And I love amei, but of the album you cited I can only agree that amit 2 is a masterpiece. (that's my personal taste haha)
Old 3rd March 2019, 09:51 AM
Greatful days Initiate

Just in case you were wondering about Elva's health... Her agent stated at the end of January that Elva's condition improved a lot, she's still taking Chinese medicine.
She stays at home with her four dogs and asks her fans to wait patiently for the new album. No release date yet.
Old 3rd March 2019, 12:04 PM
MY STORY Initiate

I was wondering where she disappeared to, I hope she gets better and comes back into the music world soon.

AYU ~Countdown Live 2012-2013 ~WAKE UP~ [29.12, 31.12], AYU ~CDL Cirque du Minuet [29.12.14], AYU TROUBLE 18-19 [05.01.19]
Maaya Sakamoto ~Mitsubachi [30.12.12] BABYMETAL [10.01.2015]

BIG BANG [21.10.2015]
Old 5th March 2019, 02:56 AM
P.S II Initiate

I know she’s ill and disappear for months, but the most ridiculous rumours that I ever read 👉🏼 she got HIV 🙄
Old 17th March 2019, 11:48 AM
Greatful days Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceshields View Post
I know she’s ill and disappear for months, but the most ridiculous rumours that I ever read ���� she got HIV ��
Yeah, since she and her staff were remaining silent, the craziest rumours popped up at some point !
Old 29th September 2019, 01:29 PM
ayu-mi-x Initiate

I really hope she comes back with an album soon!

Old 29th September 2019, 03:48 PM
Greatful days Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise View Post
I really hope she comes back with an album soon!
Looks like she's still working on it and bringing herself back to total health...
Latest articles I found were only about her new boyfriend
Old 5th October 2019, 08:44 PM
Initiate

^ she did talk abt her new album after she annoucing her new bf in a interview.
>> https://tw.appledaily.com/hot/realtime/20190824/1622132

-- imma briefly translate the important part: --

new album prepared 3 years,
done recording,
remix/master already done in US,
dance choreography also done (by Beyonce/Bieber choreographer).

everything was ready,
until she hurt her chest in her bathroom,
then everything abt the new album stop,
cause she got Bronchitis,
the accident make her hardly breathe, sing is harder.
Old 31st October 2019, 08:18 PM
Greatful days Initiate

It's been reported that her new album will be released on November 17th (her debut date as well).
A new song called 当你和心跳一起出现 will be released soon.