[Charts & Rankings] The Official Oricon Thread of ~A BEST 15th Anniversary Edition~ - Page 6 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Old 7th April 2016, 08:10 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

I don't think Japan had those criticisms as much as Western fans did.

I'd say Japan really enjoyed sixxxxxx, A ONE, LOVE again, and Love songs, but were extremely confused by Colours.

Main thing hurting Ayu is a lack of promotion. Like, most of Japan probably has no idea she even has a new release coming unless they're actively looking or in the shops when it's promoted after the fact.

Last edited by truehappiness; 7th April 2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 7th April 2016, 12:06 PM
POWDER SNOW Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by truehappiness View Post

Main thing hurting Ayu is a lack of promotion. Like, most of Japan probably has no idea she even has a new release coming unless they're actively looking or in the shops when it's promoted after the fact.
I just wish she would work twice as hard when it comes to new music, like, I don't even care if it would be an all ballad album or EDM, I just don't want her new songs to be sooo stale.

I mean, if she can put a lot of effort with her tours, why not with new music?

praying for your souls

Old 7th April 2016, 12:12 PM
Far away Initiate

#36 today!
Old 7th April 2016, 03:36 PM
ANGEL'S SONG Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitalaspect View Post
I think Ayumi's had consistent criticism over the last five years that has contributed a lot to her sharp fall in sales:

* Working with producers who don't understand her sound very well.
* Writing songs that don't build on her talent as a songwriter (i.e., low effort songs compared to her work from as recent as NEXT LEVEL or RnRC)
* Under-promoting or not promoting her work
* Not building on her prior work in a meaningful way (i.e., doing what she wants vs. at least taking into consideration what fans want to hear and see)

Until 2010-2011, there were occasional criticisms of her actual work, but now it's an every-release bit. With Ls, people criticized the lackluster album tracks. With PQ, people criticized the amateur sound. With La, people criticized how boring the album was, and why she couldn't at least pick an original title. With Colours, it sounded like a blob of songs put together like a mix CD, no cohesion. With AO, people criticized the staleness of almost every track. Ayumi has also been highly criticized for low effort PVs since 2010. The last PVs she invested any significant work in were the PVs from Love songs and FIVE.

So, I criticize because Ayumi is still not the norm, and she will never be "the norm" of Japanese Pop. She's just not giving it her best these days. And we all know she could do a little more to promote her releases, or maybe take an extra month to work on the next album, or maybe work a little harder to make her tours and CDLs different from each other. But she's been cutting corners for the last several years, and it's had an effect. Just like Koda has cut corners and been hurt by it as well.
I agree on that she's been cutting corners sometimes (Like A BEST release they would have made a bigger promotion or better bonus material) but you also have to take in count that ayu is a product and she has like 200+ songs (I mean which solo artist nowadays has 200+ songs and doesn't bore people?) I think a big part of decrease in sales is that people DON'T NEED more songs from ayu, she already has her gems in that number-.

My first J-pop cover album is out on Spotify! Please check it out!
Old 8th April 2016, 01:20 PM
BEST Initiate

^actually i think it's more to do with budget. Ayu still has to make a profit. Every year she brings in less and with every new contract ayu herself becomes more expensive.

Ayu at her peak has amazing quality work because she was bringing in the money. We've been spoilt with ayu.
Old 8th April 2016, 02:03 PM
winding road H-Initiate

Quote:

I'd say Japan really enjoyed sixxxxxx, A ONE, LOVE again, and Love songs, but were extremely confused by Colours.

This.

Promotion makes a huge difference, and she basically vanished from promoting on TV for a couple of years. Whenever she does promote on TV lately she tends to receive positive feedback from the Japanese public. Unfortunately she doesn't do it often and for a couple of years the only thing the general public new about her was her personal life issues that the media was turning into scandals, not her actual musical releases that weren't being promoted anywhere, and that damaged her popularity.
Last year, though, she seemed to promote a bit more and it did seem to help, A ONE and sixxxxxx where well received by the Japanese public, but she has needs to keep having good promotion to be able to keep improving her sales and popularity.

Old 8th April 2016, 03:07 PM
Who... Initiate

like it was all because she doesn't wanna promote. maybe tv shows doesn't need / care about her performing on their shows since she's not on top anymore

maybe it's all of these reasons, we can only wait and see
Old 8th April 2016, 07:25 PM
TO BE Initiate

Quote:

Actually, is there any proof of this? Like album reviews, Japanese forum posts, that kind of thing. I know a lot of people seem to take this for granted but it's always felt like a bit of an assumption here that people make...
Old 8th April 2016, 07:48 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

I had collected some japanese reviews of her releases once and made a thread, but no one really cared xD

I do believe Ayu went through a exposition hiatus for some years as a way to rest her image without stopping from releasing music.

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 8th April 2016, 08:21 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

^ Awww, where is it? I must have missed it.

arena tour 2016 ~M(A)DE IN JAPAN~ @ Yoyogi : 08/07 & 09/07
arena tour 2018 ~POWER of MUSIC 20th anniversary~ @ Osaka-jô hall : 21/07 & 22/07
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2023-2024 A ~A COMPLETE 25~ @ Yoyogi : 30/12 & 31/12

浜崎あゆみ ~since 2009~
tumblr ; last.fm

Old 8th April 2016, 09:05 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

^

People actually did care... but mostly to say they don't need reviews because they are bullshit or to post blog reviews in English xD http://ahsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113326

I remember I was planning to make more threads with other reviews from other albums (those sites have more reviews from her stuff if I remember right), but as this didn't work out I just gave up.

Old 8th April 2016, 10:00 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by js_surrealism View Post
Actually, is there any proof of this? Like album reviews, Japanese forum posts, that kind of thing. I know a lot of people seem to take this for granted but it's always felt like a bit of an assumption here that people make...
Well, you could tell they were a little confused just based on sales of Colours IMO. Usually I like to check out Amazon.jp reviews even though sometimes they skew towards a certain opinion, and usually they're positive. Also I am factoring in some TA comments I'd read or comments on Twitter I saw during release periods.
Old 8th April 2016, 11:31 PM
SURREAL H-Initiate

No one knows she's actually still releasing things. Like, at all. She has no presence in the media sphere. One performance isn't enough, either. Music Station's target is teenagers, tbh. Most young adults aren't home at 8 pm on Friday night lol.

Also my most common experience with Ayu is I always hear "Aww I used to love her. Is she still releasing stuff? Aoi sora o tomo ni ikou yo~ that was such a good song!"

Ayu's always in past tense lol

"Remember, don't let others dictate your music taste. If you like whatever you're listening to, keep listening to it."

Last edited by tokyoxjapanxfan; 8th April 2016 at 11:42 PM.
Old 8th April 2016, 11:50 PM
Lelio Protector

Yeah I gotta agree with this since every Japanese person I talk to (and I talked with a lot on the last 2 months) asks the same question. "Is she still making music?" and sometimes "She is not on tv anymore". Like a broken record.
Old 9th April 2016, 12:50 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

I actually heard similar things around 2008/2009 and she was still promoting a fair bit then but nowhere near as invisible as now. "You like Ayu? Oh, I loved BLUE BIRD! Ayu was so good. Does she still make new music?" is basically what you'll get.

A wide good tie-in and a run on promotional circuit would get her back in the public eye, but I don't think she even wants that anymore.

Also it's been pretty bad that when people do hear of her, it's because of some drama or something that has nothing to really do with music.
Old 9th April 2016, 01:10 AM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

I believe she reduced her exposure as a way to rest her image (she had almost a whole decade of hyper exposition after all), but as she still sparkes interest on the general public her personal life, that always was on a way or another fuel to tabloids didn't had her music to make a counter point.

Old 9th April 2016, 04:31 AM
appears Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrenekoi View Post
I believe she reduced her exposure as a way to rest her image (she had almost a whole decade of hyper exposition after all), but as she still sparkes interest on the general public her personal life, that always was on a way or another fuel to tabloids didn't had her music to make a counter point.
I'm not sure if I agree about it being to rest her image as much as I think it has to do with her being a "product" of avex. Over the last 15 years, she's largely done everything in her power to not be avex's sugar momma, and I think her dropping out of TV promo and other stuff was just another step.

It's sad though because it comes off like she doesn't realize people who like her aren't necessarily going to hunt her down to find out what she's doing. It's also sad because it waters down the experience of being a fan. Instead of the excitement of CMs and singles with PVs and TV performances and talk show interviews, we just sit around waiting for news. Not so exciting.

-> <-
Old 9th April 2016, 04:39 AM
winding road H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoxjapanxfan View Post
No one knows she's actually still releasing things. Like, at all. She has no presence in the media sphere. One performance isn't enough, either. Music Station's target is teenagers, tbh. Most young adults aren't home at 8 pm on Friday night lol.

Also my most common experience with Ayu is I always hear "Aww I used to love her. Is she still releasing stuff? Aoi sora o tomo ni ikou yo~ that was such a good song!"

Ayu's always in past tense lol
Well, this pretty much sums up the issue.

If she wants higher sales (which I'm not sure she cares tbh), she seriously needs promotion. Sometimes I see people taking for granted here that her lower sales mean people didn't like the release, while in reality the main reason is that most of the general public didn't even know about it...

Old 9th April 2016, 07:44 AM
TO BE Initiate

Slightly off discussion but I thought this would have been a fabulous way to do re-releases:

http://petapixel.com/2016/04/08/phil...reshot-covers/

He went and reshot ALL of his original album covers in the exact same style.
Old 9th April 2016, 10:20 AM
ayu trance Initiate

To me it's more fans that are bothered about things like exposure, promotion, sales etc... than herself ! Fans really need to do a closeup at how her carrer was from 1998 to 2008 ! She was everywhere without rest and I think she earned the right to stop all these things and live her life while continuing her career with less exposure !

I really think that if she cared about it she definitely would take steps concerning these issues ! On a side note she has always been very aware of the state of her career to begin with so she truly know that for most of people she is a singer from the past and there isn't so much she can do about it !

My Website Twitter Last.Fm

Tags
浜崎 あゆみ, 浜崎あゆみ, a best, oricon