Ayu's "worsening" voice? - Page 4 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·


Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Enquiries

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 14th February 2010, 05:15 PM
zyoeru zyoeru is offline
WE WISH Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRos View Post
when people are bored they always find something to complain about
Well it's not really about being bored. Ayu's voice is a serious issue if she's going to continue on as a singer.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 14th February 2010, 05:51 PM
Minerva's Avatar
Minerva Minerva is offline
Curtain call Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 16,175
^agree but I don't think is worsening, I just think is changing.
People don't like that it has changed so they label it as "worsening" so they start complaining.
BUT is all a matter of opinion I guess.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 14th February 2010, 06:02 PM
AyUta's Avatar
AyUta AyUta is offline
sending mail Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: ||California||
Posts: 20,633
The only thing I see happening, which I expected, is that she has trouble hitting high notes now, though her current voice is beautiful to me.
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 14th February 2010, 06:51 PM
zellyx's Avatar
zellyx zellyx is offline
Endless sorrow Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,813
I agree, I've just been wondering what the reason for the complaining is!
__________________



You don't know how beautiful you are. ♡

Set by ownsarai.

Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 14th February 2010, 07:48 PM
Chiharo's Avatar
Chiharo Chiharo is offline
still alone Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Croatia
Posts: 2,561
idk for her concerts, but in her recordings, to me, she sounds best than ever.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 14th February 2010, 10:39 PM
truehappiness's Avatar
truehappiness truehappiness is offline
Zutto… Initiate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Anaheim, California
Posts: 34,460
Quote:
And since teddy bear was brought up... I can't deny that teddy bear @ Future Classics was easily the best performance, but seriously... that compared to teddy bear at AT 03-04? It's kinda obvious that a negative change has occurred in her voice, right?

Like what SunshineSlayer has mentioned... her voice now is just way too choppy, strained, breathy and weak as compared to say 2003-2006. I remember being REALLY hyped about hearing Days in PCDL, but when I started, oh God. She was singing really choppy and staccato-ish that... it almost doesn't sound like the Days I know. That's the extent of how bad she could sing.
I would say that the change in teddy bear was more because of the fact that she changed her singing technique around 2006 or so after the release of (miss)understood. She also recorded Startin' in the same studio at the same time as the album tracks for (miss)understood and mentioned "but this is the first time I've challenged myself with a vocal style like "Startin'"! While I was singing, I felt "You can sing like this too". What really brought out that new vocal style was doing the recording in the New York studio with such good sound and nice atmosphere." I would say that her vocal styles in Startin' was only the beginning.) Because of this, I don't think it's fair to compare her vocals from back around 6-7 years ago to her vocals now. It'd be like comparing Kaori Mochida's pre-2002/2003 vocals to her voice now. It's changed so much that people might not even think it was her singing the songs anymore.

As for her breathing issues, I have no idea why she's been running out of breath so easily in some lives like during the Sunrise TV promotion, but at various times since then, she's done pretty well live. Specifically certain performances at CDL09-10 and a-nation '09. Ugh, she did so amazingly at a-nation '09 and no one ever brings it up because they're too busy harping on her bad vocals during -insert performance here-... it's just sad that when she does well, people are quick to say that she's not really singing or something, and then when she does terribly, people say that her vocals have gone down the tubes. I think people complained to no end starting with the CDL05-06 live version, and every year since then, people have been bagging on Ayu's vocals because they're so much more polished than in the live TV broadcast version, but isn't that obvious? It's live/raw! Of course the DVD is going to sound better!

Last edited by truehappiness; 14th February 2010 at 10:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 14th February 2010, 10:52 PM
hidekirby's Avatar
hidekirby hidekirby is offline
ever free Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: France
Posts: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by truehappiness View Post
Ugh, she did so amazingly at a-nation '09 and no one ever brings it up because they're too busy harping on her bad vocals during -insert performance here-... it's just sad that when she does well, people are quick to say that she's not really singing or something, and then when she does terribly, people say that her vocals have gone down the tubes.
I think if people doesn't talk about a-nation '09 TV vocals is because they're edited and then there is no point to do so?
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 14th February 2010, 11:08 PM
truehappiness's Avatar
truehappiness truehappiness is offline
Zutto… Initiate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Anaheim, California
Posts: 34,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidekirby View Post
I think if people doesn't talk about a-nation '09 TV vocals is because they're edited and then there is no point to do so?
So what if they're "edited"? It's not like they replace her vocals or anything after editing them. A lot of people seem to think that when they edit the DVDs, they add some sort of pitch correction to live vocals and slip in some previously recorded studio vocals when needed.

I think that her vocals probably weren't changed all that much... but all we have to go on really from news clips is a small snippet of July 1st.


News clip vs. TV version

Last edited by truehappiness; 14th February 2010 at 11:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 14th February 2010, 11:19 PM
hidekirby's Avatar
hidekirby hidekirby is offline
ever free Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: France
Posts: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by truehappiness View Post
So what if they're "edited"? It's not like they replace her vocals or anything after editing them. A lot of people seem to think that when they edit the DVDs, they add some sort of pitch correction to live vocals and slip in some previously recorded studio vocals when needed.
If you compare an edited performance with a non-edited one (for example a bad one) you'll see that they can do magic tricks! Of course it's based on her voice, but there is actually pitch correction. Even when she is going off-pitch because of crying they fix that (and I hate it!).

From the video, I can barely hear something (which doesn't seem great). : /

My point is not to say that 'she sounded great because it's obviously edited' no. I just wanted to say that you can't judge with edited lives.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 14th February 2010, 11:27 PM
love in music's Avatar
love in music love in music is offline
(don't) Leave me alone Initiate
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 13,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyoeru View Post
Well it's not really about being bored. Ayu's voice is a serious issue if she's going to continue on as a singer.
Well bad singing never hurt her career or stopped her from singing, she was actually most popular when her singing was at it's worst in 2000. Ayu is going to be just fine, I wouldn't be too concerned about it
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 14th February 2010, 11:36 PM
truehappiness's Avatar
truehappiness truehappiness is offline
Zutto… Initiate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Anaheim, California
Posts: 34,460
Quote:
From the video, I can barely hear something (which doesn't seem great). : /
I wonder where their audio came from for the news clips that came out...



Mmm, July 1st.

Oh yeah, I just found an audio rip of Rule from the 8/23 concert.
http://since1997.tistory.com/1884

There's a music player if you scroll down a bit and you have to use the drop down menu to listen to the "Hamasaki Ayumi.mp3" track. It sounds a little weird/too loud, but I think that's bound to happen since it's a fanrecording from the speakers at the concert.

Quote:
I just wanted to say that you can't judge with edited lives.
Well, for most overseas fans, all that we can really judge are edited lives. (I would say a-nation '09 isn't as heavily edited as say a concert tour anyway) She's never been too amazing when it comes to TV lives post-2004ish, so I tend not to count those because for whatever reason, she always sounds like she doesn't rehearse.

The only other option would be to see her live, but some people say that the experience is different and vocals tend not to sound as "bad" when they're seen live...? I'm trying to see if anyone from AHS saw a-nation '09 live and said anything about her vocals, but I don't think anyone posted any reviews.

If seeing her live or watching DVDs of her lives isn't good enough to judge whether her vocals are good enough, then just how are fans supposed to rate her voice? Just TV performances? Knowing Ayu's history with them, I'm not so sure that they're the best material to work off of. It's basically like forcing people into thinking that she's got terrible vocals! Or at least forcing them into thinking good vocals = edited and bad vocals = she sucks and doesn't practice. Even if she does well, a group of people always manage to shoot her down because ~the performance was edited~. Is she not allowed to sing well nowadays or something?

Last edited by truehappiness; 14th February 2010 at 11:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 14th February 2010, 11:44 PM
zyoeru zyoeru is offline
WE WISH Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by identity View Post
Well bad singing never hurt her career or stopped her from singing, she was actually most popular when her singing was at it's worst in 2000. Ayu is going to be just fine, I wouldn't be too concerned about it
I think that a lot of people loved her vocals in 2000, or else she wouldn't have peaked then. So I think your argument is quite invalid. Some of her most technically challenging songs, as we've seen in this thread, are from that era.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 14th February 2010, 11:55 PM
truehappiness's Avatar
truehappiness truehappiness is offline
Zutto… Initiate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Anaheim, California
Posts: 34,460
Quote:
I think that a lot of people loved her vocals in 2000, or else she wouldn't have peaked then.
Watching some videos from around that time, people do say that they loved her voice and that she could sing really well. Of course, sometimes I'm like, rolling my eyes as they say that because she really wasn't that great of a singer at the time.

Darn, need to find an English version. Looks like NO ONE has the English version of this... time to go hunting for it.

Last edited by truehappiness; 15th February 2010 at 12:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 15th February 2010, 12:04 AM
Crystal_Ageha's Avatar
Crystal_Ageha Crystal_Ageha is offline
Initiate
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by identity View Post
Well bad singing never hurt her career or stopped her from singing, she was actually most popular when her singing was at it's worst in 2000. Ayu is going to be just fine, I wouldn't be too concerned about it
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyoeru View Post
I think that a lot of people loved her vocals in 2000, or else she wouldn't have peaked then. So I think your argument is quite invalid. Some of her most technically challenging songs, as we've seen in this thread, are from that era.
Actually, I have to agree with Identity on this one. Just, she was so popular because she was this hot new thing, and then that was when her music went from really catchy and cool to pretty much amazing, hah. She was starting to take on a different image as the cute fashion queen Ayu. It was the start of the "Empress" and her peak. I believe her vocals were terrible and everybody realised that, but because she had so many others things going for her at the time, people didn't really care.
And if people really did say, 'ooh, she sings sooo well!! ', it was only because they loved her so much, lol. We all know how it is, to exaggerate on even the weakest points of our favourite artists, just because we love them and see them as nearly perfect beings.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 15th February 2010, 12:18 AM
gallowsCalibrator's Avatar
gallowsCalibrator gallowsCalibrator is offline
No way to say Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ganondorf
Posts: 5,283
^ Yeah, you make a good point there. We all get kinda biased and blind when we're total complete fans...including me, lol XD
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 15th February 2010, 12:18 AM
love in music's Avatar
love in music love in music is offline
(don't) Leave me alone Initiate
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 13,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyoeru View Post
I think that a lot of people loved her vocals in 2000, or else she wouldn't have peaked then. So I think your argument is quite invalid. Some of her most technically challenging songs, as we've seen in this thread, are from that era.
Maybe they're so challenging because it's so hard to be able to sing them as bad as she did loljk. But I can't imagine anyone saying they love her vocals in both concert tour 2000's. Well, maybe you because you seem to think there is nothing wrong with the TV version of cdl 07-08.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 15th February 2010, 12:21 AM
hidekirby's Avatar
hidekirby hidekirby is offline
ever free Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: France
Posts: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by truehappiness View Post
Oh yeah, I just found an audio rip of Rule from the 8/23 concert. http://since1997.tistory.com/1884
Ah yes, I forgot about that rip. Well, it's fine, yet far from being very good (troubles with controlling her voice, maybe due to her hearing). She usually does fine with Rule I would say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truehappiness View Post
She's never been too amazing when it comes to TV lives post-2004ish, so I tend not to count those because for whatever reason, she always sounds like she doesn't rehearse.
This is the impression I have too. But they are nevertheless a good indicator (with one performance she can focus more / she can hear herself better than in her tours...). I also think it's quite hard to judge vocals during concerts because you're into the atmosphere and so on... you're there to enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truehappiness View Post
If seeing her live or watching DVDs of her lives isn't good enough to judge whether her vocals are good enough, then just how are fans supposed to rate her voice? Just TV performances? Knowing Ayu's history with them, I'm not so sure that they're the best material to work off of. It's basically like forcing people into thinking that she's got terrible vocals! Or at least forcing them into thinking good vocals = edited and bad vocals = she sucks and doesn't practice. Even if she does well, a group of people always manage to shoot her down because ~the performance was edited~. Is she not allowed to sing well nowadays or something?
In the past, her Tv live broadcasts weren't edited so it was great to judge her vocals. Now everything is edited apart from her Tv lives. So it's the only time one can really judge her vocals, a lot of rehearsal or not, I don't care it's her job and after evolution's issue she said she will rehearse more .
I (like the other) don't want to force anyone to think that she has terrible vocals. IMO, it's almost the case actually. And you can't deny that she has troubles singing. If tomorow she put an awesome performance (and that I will be sure it's her real unedited voice) I will be the first to say "People who say Hamasaki isn't good at singing are morons" .

EDIT: If you're looking for "the face on every billboard" in English, I have it.

Last edited by hidekirby; 15th February 2010 at 12:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 15th February 2010, 12:27 AM
Cherry Dynamite Cherry Dynamite is offline
neverending dream Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BUNNY LAND
Posts: 4,157
I think her voice improved but at the same time because of overused it became strained.
Try to watch her 2000- lives she sounded so pitchy then watch her lives around 2003 then watch her lives now you can definitely see improvement but at the same time you'll notice how strained her voice is and that's natural because she's been singing for a really long time.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 15th February 2010, 12:30 AM
zyoeru zyoeru is offline
WE WISH Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by identity View Post
Maybe they're so challenging because it's so hard to be able to sing them as bad as she did loljk. But I can't imagine anyone saying they love her vocals in both concert tour 2000's. Well, maybe you because you seem to think there is nothing wrong with the TV version of cdl 07-08.
Well, funnily enough Concert Tour Vol. 1 is my favourite Ayu concert. XD
About CDL0708, of course her vocals aren't terrific, but for all that was going off on that concert they were decent.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 15th February 2010, 12:31 AM
truehappiness's Avatar
truehappiness truehappiness is offline
Zutto… Initiate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Anaheim, California
Posts: 34,460
Quote:
EDIT: If you're looking for "the face on every billboard" in English, I have it.
That is what I am looking for. If you can upload it and post it to the downloads section, it would be great. AHS used to host it and it was taken down a while back.

Quote:
And you can't deny that she has troubles singing.
She does have trouble singing, but I don't think that it's something that should always be focused upon. Yes, she's a singer, but she's not exactly a normal act. She came up from basically being "nothing" in terms of fame to becoming a pop icon within a matter of years. Her debut is probably one of the most true-to-life Cinderella stories that I have ever seen... a girl who thought she had no talents whatsoever beginning her life as a singer at the age of 19 and turning into one of the most successful Japanese pop artists the country has ever seen. She's never been strong vocally, and I think she would agree if you asked her, but I think that the emotion/heart/soul she puts into performing and getting her feelings out there in her songs more than makes up for whatever she lacks technically when it comes to her voice.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.