FLOWER & Mad World (Short ver. MVs on YouTube) - Page 7 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Old 18th June 2016, 03:23 AM
A Song for XX Initiate

I expected FLOWER video to go Japanese-y oriental-styled theme, but this one surprised me... in a better positive way. Somehow it reminds me of Ladies Night PV.. Maybe because of the hotel atmosphere/the butterfly detail. For Mad World, I really really adore her natural style in that white T-shirt. Made me curious the very beginning scene, where she come from before she walk into the stage..
Old 18th June 2016, 03:25 AM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post
The thing is it's sort of forbidden to criticize any aspects of her work or reveal unpleasant truth on this forum unless you want to be attacked by diehard fans who can't respect opinions different from theirs.
"I don't like this work because this and that" = Ok

"She is lazy/ She doesn't care anymore/ This is so bad I'm surprised anyone like it/ She is embarassing/ I hope she could retire so she would stop to hurt her legacy/ This is shit/ This is garbage/ It feels like she is surrounded by yesmen who agree with any bad idea she has" = not ok

Also is not ok to act like your subjective opinion is a scientific fact.

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 18th June 2016, 03:40 AM
SURREAL H-Initiate

Being blind to seeing how people -could- like something is just as bad, tbh.

This is a forum based on a specific fandom. Having people here defending said fandom should not be surprising. Especially after having been here for awhile.

The way people word their negative feelings is usually what causes the frustration. No one here has claimed these to be the best videos she's ever released. (Although even if they did this shouldn't be a problem)

They're not the most expensive the more beautiful the most exotic. But to use these things in order to claim that they're horrible thoughtless pieces of trash and to then insult the people who do like them as if their tastes are so awful and that we're planets away in terms of taste, is certainly going to push buttons. And I'm guessing most people know this when they post such comments.

"Remember, don't let others dictate your music taste. If you like whatever you're listening to, keep listening to it."

Old 18th June 2016, 03:41 AM
Don't look back Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by artcika View Post
I find it ironic that everyone is saying she's overreacting in Flower. I can totally see here going"oh so that's what you want? is this hand graceful enough?no? how about now? Does that profile look good? Is my lipsynching perfect?" in a cutesy voice. And then she goes on and rips everything appart being ridiculously over the top like "Fuck you! I'm no longer taking all of this BS." This video can pretty much be taken as "I am tired of this whole nonsence, i'm just gonna be ME. Take it or leave.". It's like she's kinda laughing in people's faces in it. Kind of trolling everyone, on purpose. LOL Or maybe i'm just looking too much into it. But i like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by artcika View Post
As for mad world. With some saying how she was made in japan and destroyed by it. I think the whole song being a methaphor for her own career and life is a very acuraate guess. The whole entertainment industry is. They make these trees grow and bloom aka they let all these people reach for the sun and for their dreams, but if they don't grow in the direction they want, it's done. I mean look at how many idols and entertainment people have had sucess but then one single slip and it was all over because japan doesn't know how to forgive them? That video makes perfect sense. If the black ink is thrown at the "Hamasaki Ayumi" the Ayu that is "hiding" there is smeared up in the whole thing too. And it's not the image of the popstar that has to deal with it, but the human bechind it.
i love you.

====

one thing for sure, when you have such divided opinions about something, that's art right there lol.

sorry to say, but something which has no meaning to person A doesn't mean it does NOT have meaning objectively. That's like saying a monument with historical significance has no meaning for you simply because you did not go through a certain era but you cant say it has NO MEANING at all because it does stand for something. And I think these videos do stand for something. Why not compare it to BLUE BIRD and see if that PV means anything.

and i think some people really ought to READ about the various interpretations around the thread. you are free to disagree but they are still interpretations, which to be honest, do make sense if you even bother thinking deeper than judge a video so shallowly.

I even think the one-shot amateur-ish camera can have some sense. Yes, perhaps in a crude way, it's a really fast job because it's one take. But on another hand, it seems to even hint at how people are simply judging her in ONE WAY. Do you even look at ayu from another perspective? No. You judge her based on what you see on-screen. She must be poised and gentle? Heck no. Ayu doesn't want to conform.

And, the deliberate monochromatic PV. You think it's lazy? Not at all. The mise-en-scène of the PV is incredible. Just look at the juxtaposition of ayu before and after. She was dressed in white. and then she gets dressed up by these tall people fully dressed in black. Almost suffocating because at one point, we only see her head. And then she wears a black gown. WHITE -> BLACK. It's so apparent. The symbolic use of colour and clothes.

Lastly i wanted to say. All these comparison to her past works. Touch your heart and ask, Im sure she has had worse PVs. I found NaNaNa and Shake It and XOXO to be absolutely void of emotion and content. Of course, some people may find sense in it. These PVs may not be on the level of pre-Rock'n'Roll Circus but they sure come off with some aesthetic. It seems that Ayu has spoilt us with her magnificence post-MY STORY but honestly, i do agree these PVs remind me of her pre-MY STORY works more than anything.

you can find meaning in anything, as long as you wish to.

(ayu better be washing plates next PV. im sure everyones gonna love it)

Last edited by freedreamer; 18th June 2016 at 03:52 AM.
Old 18th June 2016, 04:48 AM
Memorial address (take 2 version) Initiate

I would be more inclined to believe the overacting in FLOWER was intentional if she hadn't started the really-bad-overacting trend back around the time of Love songs/RNRC 7 days final.
Old 18th June 2016, 04:54 AM
Who... Initiate

Somebody mentioned in this thread earlier that FLOWER reminds them of Helter Skelter the drama. Really gotta agree with that, especially when Ayu started to have a violent outbreak and then ran to the hall, very similar to when Sawajiri acting as Lilico ran out then fell in the rain.

Helter Skelter was basically made for ayu haha, this era shows it even more.

Set by YuriChan

Old 18th June 2016, 04:55 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

The hair is also real dang similar to Helter Skelter's lead character's, lol.

Wonder if the end will have some weird eye stuff too.
Old 18th June 2016, 05:47 AM
ourselves Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayu-michan View Post
Somebody mentioned in this thread earlier that FLOWER reminds them of Helter Skelter the drama. Really gotta agree with that, especially when Ayu started to have a violent outbreak and then ran to the hall, very similar to when Sawajiri acting as Lilico ran out then fell in the rain.

Helter Skelter was basically made for ayu haha, this era shows it even more.

too much ressemblance
Old 18th June 2016, 05:50 AM
Gut it-pez Initiate

The fact is. .. ayu could film a dog's poop during 4 minutes some people here would still say that "it has so much meaning". OK avex has no money to spend for her anymore that is fair. At least be creative like Amuro was for Golden touch. Or don't shoot any PV.

The ultra low level of exigency here is amazing
Old 18th June 2016, 06:06 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
The fact is. .. ayu could film a dog's poop during 4 minutes some people here would still say that "it has so much meaning". OK avex has no money to spend for her anymore that is fair. At least be creative like Amuro was for Golden touch. Or don't shoot any PV.

The ultra low level of exigency here is amazing
Golden Touch was 100% the production company they assigned to it.

I don't know why anyone would randomly pop up just to make comments like this, tbh.

And I don't think many people got much meaning out of the Colours album PVs other than "Ayu is having fun" which is fine but that doesn't really make those videos meaningful. There's a clear intention for these even mentioned in the making ofs/previews on morning television, so unless you ignore all of that, it's pretty hard to say they're not trying.

Last edited by truehappiness; 18th June 2016 at 06:10 AM.
Old 18th June 2016, 06:29 AM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

^ Yeah my friend worked on that video (seriously!) it was all set up by the record company . He was given creative freedom but he wasn't allowed to use any clips of Namie without photoshop lol.
Old 18th June 2016, 06:29 AM
ayu trance Initiate

It does seem Mad World could of been more. But the view of the PV usually comes from the director not ayu. Ayu will just approve it. It could just be ayu has too many yes man in her team, meaning people are to scared to say no to her. I think a fresh team could do wonders, but at the same time, ayu's PV's don't really compare to other artist who seem to put a lot more into the PV. If anything I would say budget was a thing, but that's probably because avex spends more when they expect a higher return, and this album has already essentially been released / leaked.
Ayu should travel for a little for music inspiration, and let her journey paint the PV's , instead of these, what seem pretty average to what she has done in the past
Though ayu usually does a happy and sad PV, these both seem like sad PV's. I cant wait to see the rest

Last edited by douggn; 18th June 2016 at 06:35 AM.
Old 18th June 2016, 06:46 AM
Because of You Initiate

the thing is budget has not muc to do with the way the video turns out. I can tell for example that while Jewel is stunning visualy, i personaly never saw anything much in it just that it was beautiful visualy. In fact it's all about the ideas and excecution. Ayu have had big budget PVs and majority of them were just visualy rich or had a basic storyline. The videos that personally leave a much bigger impact on people are those that make you think. At least that's how it works with me.
And sure the view of the PV comes from the director, but Ayu's been in the industry for so long that she has much more power over what is done and how it's done. And i don't think she'd act upon something that she can't relate to.
And no, Ayu is actually known for having somewhat cryptic vidoes every now and them more than any other j-pop act. So i think people have a reason to look at some of her recent works and find a deeper meaning in them. She isn't Namie who's just dancing and looking pretty 99% of the time she's in a PV.

Last edited by BlackSilence; 18th June 2016 at 06:49 AM.
Old 18th June 2016, 07:06 AM
Love song H-Initiate

I'll lose respect to ayu if she film Namie-like pv
Old 18th June 2016, 07:13 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

She did kinda do one with Lelio, didn't she?
Old 18th June 2016, 07:39 AM
ayu trance Initiate

got a sub file coming for Mad World short version (I can update it when the full one is out). A little stuck on placing a line

sometimes you just need the words to make the PV feel whole

Last edited by Yoake; 19th June 2016 at 10:58 AM. Reason: double post
Old 18th June 2016, 07:53 AM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

I wonder how the Japanese public will take these PVs. Especially FLOWER. You could get the feeling she's on the fence with Japan or even worse. :/
But on the other hand she's at a point it probably doesn't matter anymore.
Just hope not some of her Japanese fans get sad about thr meaning of the PV.

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Old 18th June 2016, 08:29 AM
ayu trance Initiate

浜崎あゆみ - Mad World【Music Video】.srt (Short Version) with thanks to tenshi no hane for the help with what was used in the PV
https://mega.nz/#!KEsB1B7A!fUZ0gLmV8...ix0nFC0Tje8SqU

Video with hard subs
https://vid.me/PAct

浜崎あゆみ - FLOWER【Music Video】.srt English (Short version) I hope I did this right it was eaiser than mad world to do https://mega.nz/#!LFt3nCLA!TY2s1NQZw...kYLn0F55AL6yJw

Video with hard subs
https://vid.me/lzug

Last edited by douggn; 18th June 2016 at 10:27 AM.
Old 18th June 2016, 12:39 PM
WHATEVER Initiate

Wow! I'm so happy, I am actually very curious to see what happens in both these PVs. I like how she has incorporated visual references to her career in Mad World. Also, her second outfit in the video really reminds me of Curtin Call. Overall, I am happy with what she has plated up; it has clear meaning...

It seems as if she feels very...oppressed by the first 'half' (i.e. 1998-2008) of her career, in that people (fans) continue to compare her to her younger self, and that she cannot do anything 'right' anymore? Or that her own legacy is suffocating her? That's my impression anyhow. Poor Ayu. You can't please everyone though.

Last edited by 280301; 18th June 2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 18th June 2016, 01:05 PM
GAME Initiate

I have no issue with pointed criticism that is thoughtful and self-aware. The problem on these forums (and pretty much everywhere on the internet, social media, comment sections, etc.) is that we all think of ourselves as arbiters of good taste. I will state my bias and why it's difficult for me to lend credence to the opinions expressed by most on this forum. When I see the same people always pooh-poohing Ayu's work posting in other threads praising third-rate J-pop and K-pop groups, their credibility is already vastly undermined. js_surrealism, for instance, has praised You & Me in several threads for being a fantastic song. That's nothing against him—but if you were to say "terrible Ayu song," that one would be the first to pop into my head (and I believe many others share a similar sentiment).

I think Delirium-Zero has said before "Ayu means something different to everyone," or something along those lines. It's very true. Ayumi Hamasaki has a very diverse fanbase, and our personal tastes often do not align. We're all approaching her work from vastly different perspectives.

It's also quite difficult (and perhaps somewhat dodgy and irresponsible) to attempt to objectively measure and critique substance (which could qualify as any one 'piece,' whether that be a song, an album, an 'era,' a music video, an album cover) isolated entirely from its form (that is, Hamasaki Ayumi—her original nature, her various complexities/idiosyncrasies, her artistic boundaries/limitations, public image, the cultural zeitgeist, etc.) Ayu is one of the most prolific living artists in popular music. She is creating a tapestry at lightning speed. Sometimes you don't even have time to reflect on a piece of it, because there's already a new piece of the tapestry being added. Context is incredibly important in assessing an artist's work, and even contemporary music critics have problems addressing this component with tact and fairness. Visceral, knee-jerk reactions to specific facets of her work are entirely understandable, but is that fair? I'm more interested in what I deem to be the "whole."

Tags
flower, m(a)de in japan, mad world, made in japan