So many questions relating to Ayu! - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Enquiries

Notices

Old 29th January 2016, 02:27 AM
poker face Initiate

So many questions relating to Ayu!

Alright so i'm so new to J-Pop I just started listening this year. which has only been 29 days haha.

I have been into pop from different cultures for a long time but there is so many odd things in J-pop that I don't get, and some things Ayumi does specifically.

1. Why is all the comments/likes/dislikes disabled on her official YouTube channel? I noticed this with Utada as well?

2. Why does she not have a 'Vevo' I know quite a few artists don't have one that are well known. But it's still odd to me when someone as successful as Ayumi is. Is it to do with her label?

3. Why does she release a lot of her music videos on her official YouTube account shorted? Is this because she wants people to buy the the DVD/Blu-Ray releases that come with her albums? I first thought she was cutting Crossroad because of the burning LOL, but then notice a lot of her videos are shorted.

4. Why in the late 90's did J-Pop artists release portrait styled single covers?
for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poker_..._Hamasaki_song)
I also noticed it with Olivia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ILY_(Yokub%C5%8D)
So weird hahaha but interesting!

5. Why are none of her songs on Spotify! Is it to do with her label?

6. What's a good price to pay for "A Clip Box 1998–2011" and is it worth buying

Sorry for all my questions! Will love everyone who rids me of my confusion!
Old 5th February 2016, 03:18 PM
TO BE Initiate

Well, Avex only recently started posting Ayu's full music videos, but it's really dumb they're not on Ayu's own channel + it's SO messy in the middle of all other artists' music videos and so for that I had made a playlist of all Ayu full music videos posted by avex here! They haven't posted everything (yet?) though but I've added the ones they have so far.

Last edited by Machiko; 5th February 2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 5th February 2016, 03:53 PM
ayu-mi-x II Initiate

1. Too many haters I'd say (in ayu's case) in utada's case, no idea. Although the few videos where likes are enabled it really isn't that bad so... could also be smth else

2. A lot of japanese artists just have an own channel or the companies' channel where PVs get uploaded. In ayu's case her channel ayu and the official avex channel. Be glad avex doesn't region lock most things unlike sony lol. For example Nishino kana has a redundant Vevo channel where short PVs are uploaded but she has a region-locked channel where the same videos are uploaded + the more recent ones. idk it's just not needed. Just like how Kpop artists also don't have VEVO channels. If you're looking for a big selection of full PVs then jpopsuki.tv is your way to go ^^

3. Yup that's the reason.

4. Maybe that was just the format back then

5. Japan generally is a bit behind on this stuff. Most sales in japan still come from physical CDs which i personally also prefer lol but yeah maybe in 10 years? 5? hahaha

6. Most of the stuff on the clip box has been uploaded to youtube in full and official except for all the CMs of the singles and albums and the director's interview. The only PVs that weren't uploaded officially in full so far are all those after FIVE (which is the last release included in the clip box) idk what a good price would be I think for all the content the original price is fair enough lol Since japanese music releases tend to be on the pricey side.

tumblr

Last edited by Ryusei; 5th February 2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 5th February 2016, 03:54 PM
LIKE A CRYSTAL H-Initiate

Hello , 1st of all welcome to AHS & so glad of you to finally come onboard the JPop music bandwagon !

I try my best to answer the questions you've posted

=======

1. Why is all the comments/likes/dislikes disabled on her official YouTube channel?

This could be avex's doing or probably Ayu requested her staff to do so . Other Japanese artistes do allow comments/likes/dislikes to be posted on their YouTube accounts

2. Why does she not have a 'Vevo' I know quite a few artists don't have one that are well known. But it's still odd to me when someone as successful as Ayumi is. Is it to do with her label?

I'm not sure but as what you've said , it could be avex not wanting to create a Vevo for Ayu or it might be something Ayu didn't consider

Some Japanese artistes do have Vevo accounts like BENI

3. Why does she release a lot of her music videos on her official YouTube account shorted? Is this because she wants people to buy the DVD/Blu-Ray releases that come with her albums?

Yes and in the past that never happened . It's the Johnnys groups that started doing that some 8 years ago . Prior to that , the record labels don't really release short PV versions of their material so you can blame the Johnnys on it , LOL

4. Why in the late 90's did J-Pop artists release portrait styled single covers?

No idea but now that you mention it , it was probably coincidental ?

Possible but at least her material is sold online via iTunes Japan

6. What's a good price to pay for "A Clip Box 1998–2011"

A CLIP BOX 1998-2011 is costly be it DVD and/or Blu-ray format . I didn't buy it when it was released so price wise I can't comment

But if you never own any albums/singles of Ayu that comes with a DVD/Blu-ray , A CLIP BOX 1998-2011 is definitely a release worth buying especially since her old PVs still stand the test of time on why back then she was such a force to reckon with

Dedicated BRZ fan since 2008 debut single ♪ | team brz member ♥ | BREAKERZ BIRTHDAY PARTY 2024 ♥

My JPop Blog | My Twitter | BRZ Thread 47 | BRZ LiveJournal | BRZ Official Site

Old 5th February 2016, 08:48 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

Prior 2010 you could find her music videos in full on Youtube, i don't remember if they were on her official channel or not, but you could find those. If i remember correctly it's during 2010 that her label suddenly decided to remove all her music videos from Youtube and to upload those short versions, i'd say it's because they were afraid it would affect sales (since her CDs are sold with CD+DVD version with music videos on it) and they tried to do short versions as a way of teasing when a new single was out, but i don't see the point of uploading short versions of songs that were 10+ years old though.

Ayu (and many other asian artists) don't have Vevo or Spotify account because Japan music industry is really far behind the times, it's like they're still living in mid 00's, streaming and digital download is not as popular as it is for us, also Japan don't care much about foreigners so they might not see the point of making accounts like those aimed at an international audience.

arena tour 2016 ~M(A)DE IN JAPAN~ @ Yoyogi : 08/07 & 09/07
arena tour 2018 ~POWER of MUSIC 20th anniversary~ @ Osaka-jô hall : 21/07 & 22/07
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2023-2024 A ~A COMPLETE 25~ @ Yoyogi : 30/12 & 31/12

浜崎あゆみ ~since 2009~
tumblr ; last.fm

Old 6th February 2016, 02:16 AM
rainy day Initiate

I'm surprised no one knew the answer to question 4.

Prior to 1999, most of the Japanese singles were released in the 8cm/3" disc format. And the standard packaging for them in Japan were rectangular paper sleeves with an inlay in there. Images under the spoiler!

Spoiler:

Old 6th February 2016, 02:26 AM
Far away Initiate

Welcome!! Hope you enjoy your stay here!
And don't you ever exit LMAO

1. Why is all the comments/likes/dislikes disabled on her official YouTube channel? I noticed this with Utada as well?
Probably to avoid too much criticism and drama. But her new uploaded full videos are able to be commented and liked.

Vevo is owned by a joint venture of Sony, Universal Music Group, Google, EMI, and Abu Dhabi Media. Vevo only offers music video from those major record labels.

3. Why does she release a lot of her music videos on her official YouTube account shorted? Is this because she wants people to buy the the DVD/Blu-Ray releases that come with her albums?
Yes, as mentioned by others, it's to encourage people to buy the physical copy. Though her older videos are uploaded in full but it's only until 'LOVE again'.

for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poker_..._Hamasaki_song)
I also noticed it with Olivia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ILY_(Yokub%C5%8D)
So weird hahaha but interesting!

Do you mean the 8cm CD format? If yes, most of 90s singles were released in that format. Singles usually contain only a few songs so it's justifiable to use a mini-disc...

Yeah~ they don't see the future of streaming... LOL. But a lot of Japanese artists start putting their songs on Spotify already!

6. What's a good price to pay for "A Clip Box 1998–2011" and is it worth buying?

Not sure about the price and it's definitely worth for a new fan!

Last edited by LONJJONG; 6th February 2016 at 02:28 AM.
Old 13th May 2016, 02:11 PM
poker face Initiate

I just want to say a big thank you to everyone! I literally only just read all your replies. You're all awesome I forgot about this post! This was so long ago.

I'm quite strange with music. I listen to an artists albums in reverse chronological order (so I have no previous material to compare to and be bias), and I have to listen to the album 3 times before I decide if I love it or not. I get told i'm ocd with music. Anyways I'm up to "A Song for xx" So I know almost her whole studio discography now ;D

It's weird to think I went through her albums in a month when a lot of people went through them as they came out lol.

And I'm a HUGE fan now! And I've watched practically her whole videography. She's incredible. My top 3 "Most Played" songs on my phone are "Monochrome", "alterna" & P.S II ;D
Old 14th May 2016, 03:54 AM
WE WISH Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I just want to say a big thank you to everyone! I literally only just read all your replies. You're all awesome I forgot about this post! This was so long ago.

I'm quite strange with music. I listen to an artists albums in reverse chronological order (so I have no previous material to compare to and be bias), and I have to listen to the album 3 times before I decide if I love it or not. I get told i'm ocd with music. Anyways I'm up to "A Song for xx" So I know almost her whole studio discography now ;D

It's weird to think I went through her albums in a month when a lot of people went through them as they came out lol.

And I'm a HUGE fan now! And I've watched practically her whole videography. She's incredible. My top 3 "Most Played" songs on my phone are "Monochrome", "alterna" & P.S II ;D
yaaaass. monochrome and alterna will forever be in my ayu top 5 lol

anyway being an ayu fan is a lovely experience. I always feel so blessed that I found her music. welcome

Ayu 💛 JASMINE 💛 Hikki 💛 Eiko 💛 MELL
♡ MUCC ♡

Twitter

Old 14th May 2016, 05:26 AM
poker face Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by primavera♥ View Post
yaaaass. monochrome and alterna will forever be in my ayu top 5 lol

anyway being an ayu fan is a lovely experience. I always feel so blessed that I found her music. welcome
I know right being an Ayu fan is such a different experienced than being a fan of anyone else. Because of how rapidly she releases quality material completely written by herself. She's just incredible.

So glad to hear someone else who loves Alterna and Monochrome! I think Alterna is possibly my favorite song by Ayumi. It's probably my favorite music video of hers.
Old 14th May 2016, 05:50 AM
WE WISH Initiate

Quote:
I know right being an Ayu fan is such a different experienced than being a fan of anyone else. Because of how rapidly she releases quality material completely written by herself. She's just incredible.

So glad to hear someone else who loves Alterna and Monochrome! I think Alterna is possibly my favorite song by Ayumi. It's probably my favorite music video of hers.
Everything is just perfect about alterna. The music, the lyrics, the video. It was bold and it was great.

She does have a lot of material. Still insane to me how many lyrics she pens every year. It took me a long time to get through all of her material but I was so eager to do so which was rare (and still is) for me lol.

And then going through her remix works. Oh boy. But I love them as well.

Ayu 💛 JASMINE 💛 Hikki 💛 Eiko 💛 MELL
♡ MUCC ♡

Twitter

Old 14th May 2016, 07:14 AM
poker face Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by primavera♥ View Post
Everything is just perfect about alterna. The music, the lyrics, the video. It was bold and it was great.

She does have a lot of material. Still insane to me how many lyrics she pens every year. It took me a long time to get through all of her material but I was so eager to do so which was rare (and still is) for me lol.

And then going through her remix works. Oh boy. But I love them as well.
I've been meaning to listen to her remixography! Does she have the most remix albums/ep's for a solo artist?
Old 14th May 2016, 08:25 AM
Replace Initiate

Nearly everything I've seen that counts official numbers for that kind of thing considers remix albums "compilations" or just "albums" so it's hard to say for sure, but I'm inclined to say yes, that's VERY likely.

Depending on what you do & don't count as a remix album, she has between 18 and 36 of them, lol... "officially" I'd say she has 26 remix albums.

To compare, Michael Jackson has 4 and Madonna has 3. The artist I can find who has the most aside from Ayu is Kylie Minogue, who has 11 remix albums.
Old 14th May 2016, 08:34 AM

Ayu has a ton of material , be it remix or non remix . It's hard to find another solo artiste who work her butt out consistently for the last 17 years

It's crazy knowing that in 3 years time , she will be celebrating her 20th anniversary o_o

And felt like yesterday when I 1st discovered her music almost close to 10 years ago . She certainly changed many people's lives with her music , including myself

Dedicated BRZ fan since 2008 debut single ♪ | team brz member ♥ | BREAKERZ BIRTHDAY PARTY 2024 ♥

Old 14th May 2016, 01:12 PM
poker face Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium-Zer0 View Post
Nearly everything I've seen that counts official numbers for that kind of thing considers remix albums "compilations" or just "albums" so it's hard to say for sure, but I'm inclined to say yes, that's VERY likely.

Depending on what you do & don't count as a remix album, she has between 18 and 36 of them, lol... "officially" I'd say she has 26 remix albums.

To compare, Michael Jackson has 4 and Madonna has 3. The artist I can find who has the most aside from Ayu is Kylie Minogue, who has 11 remix albums.
To be honest I believe that A Ballads and Winter Ballad Selection are remix albums. I know they both have tracks in their original condition, but they have 'remixed' tracks. And considering she has so many remix EP's as well. I'm inclined to say yes too She needs an award for this. At least she's been recognized here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...g_remix_albums for Super Eurobeat Presents Ayu-ro Mix. She's literally the only non American artist on the list that's a big deal imo.
Old 14th May 2016, 01:17 PM
poker face Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenPang View Post
Ayu has a ton of material , be it remix or non remix . It's hard to find another solo artiste who work her butt out consistently for the last 17 years

It's crazy knowing that in 3 years time , she will be celebrating her 20th anniversary o_o

And felt like yesterday when I 1st discovered her music almost close to 10 years ago . She certainly changed many people's lives with her music , including myself
I completely agree with you! Seriously her discography is insane for someone who's been around for that long. And she's so young and she's celebrating her 20th anniversary soon! And she has so much more to offer still. She's just incredible.

She's definitely changed me too. It just baffles me how someone can spit new material out so often that's all quality. I'm not saying ALL her new material is gold but it's definitely quality. And does not feel 'rushed'. And the fact she writes it all literally by herself is just beyond amazing. Her and Mylčne Farmer are the only artists that I can think of that write 90% or more of their material.
Old 14th May 2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I completely agree with you! Seriously her discography is insane for someone who's been around for that long. And she's so young and she's celebrating her 20th anniversary soon! And she has so much more to offer still. She's just incredible.

She's definitely changed me too. It just baffles me how someone can spit new material out so often that's all quality. I'm not saying ALL her new material is gold but it's definitely quality. And does not feel 'rushed'. And the fact she writes it all literally by herself is just beyond amazing. Her and Mylčne Farmer are the only artists that I can think of that write 90% or more of their material.
I wish she would return back to composing her own works as some of what she composed were her prime best

But lyrics wise yes she writes them 100% by herself but I know other artistes who're hands on in both aspects

Just that female solo wise , she's a rarity

Old 14th May 2016, 03:46 PM
Daybreak Guardian

Well, I see that many people already answered your questions, so I just wanted to say WELCOME TO THE CLAN! Hope you get to know and like Ayu even more from now on We're always willing to help here!
Old 14th May 2016, 07:26 PM
poker face Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaristos View Post
Well, I see that many people already answered your questions, so I just wanted to say WELCOME TO THE CLAN! Hope you get to know and like Ayu even more from now on We're always willing to help here!
Thank you, you're so sweet I already feel at home here
P.s I used your profile photo to get the sizing right for mine yesterday lmao!
Old 14th May 2016, 08:40 PM
Daybreak Guardian

Quote:
P.s I used your profile photo to get the sizing right for mine yesterday lmao!
I'm glad I could help! I did exactly the same thing with someone else's profile picture when I first got here